PDA

View Full Version : Traction Control

paulmc
19-04-2005, 08:28 PM
Just out giving the VR4 a good thrashing. I only ever get 1 AYC light on then the TC lights up on the dash, is this normal. If I want to play some more I take it i need to switch the TC off :rolleyes4

Roberto
19-04-2005, 08:51 PM
Sorry no help here, definitly not TC on mine.

Once again proved today, T junction in the wet... :evil2:

paulmc
19-04-2005, 09:15 PM
mmmmmmmmm, is this an optional extra then. I have a switch down on the right of the steering column, if I switch it off TCL lights up on the dash

KiwiTT
19-04-2005, 09:18 PM
That's it. Switch it off if you want to "play".

Physician
19-04-2005, 09:59 PM
Ummm .... well you certainly have TCL if the switch operates the TCL light on dashboard.

However, something sounds a bit odd with the sequence you are getting. It may just be YOUR particular set-up > weight, tyres, pressures, speed, corners, acceleration etc etc etc.

The ONLY time I ever get the TCL light up is when I am accelerating on a sharp bend in wet or dry. On the other hand my AYC lights up at 3 bars regularly in the wet and often in the dry when taking even slight bends, roundabouts etc.

I'm beginning to think, after a years use of a VR4, that to 'understand' the AYC, TCL and ASC system we need to go out in others cars to see how they perform differently and under what conditions. Let's face it - YOUR driving style is totally different to MINE etc etc. What I think is fast - you may think is a doddle!

Oh, and as kiwitt says ...... switch it OFF to play. I always have mine off on track.

SGHOM
19-04-2005, 10:28 PM
doesn't sound right to me either ?? :rolleyes4
only after you get all 3 ayc lights on, & then you know you're having fun ! :thumbsup: the tcl light comes on. it's a warning, sort of, to say you've exceeded the limits of the active yaw control.
only track time will normally get the TCL light on, if you get it lighting up on the public road, you need banning !! /yes /grr :evil2:

paulmc
19-04-2005, 11:04 PM
I went round a corner tonight pretty much flat out around 90mph, the evo would not do this corner much faster but the evos tyres used to squeal like mad at 90, the VR4 was quite, 1 light came on then the TCL. I have never seen more that 1 light yet but had the TCL on only under severe cornering.

RED
19-04-2005, 11:52 PM
Did the TCL actually do anything? I mean did it cut the engine or did the light just come on?

Marcus :inquisiti

paulmc
20-04-2005, 12:06 AM
mmm, I did not feel it do anything but not sure if I would? It cant pull any boost as I have a manual controller but it did not feel as if it pulled the timing.

Physician
20-04-2005, 01:28 AM
If the TCL lights up on the dashboard you WOULD know about it without looking as the fuel will get cut momentarily and you will definitely notice it.

It's quite possible to corner at 90 mph and have no AYC bars - it really does depend on the corner and tyres and, and, etc etc.

I suggest you take it out onto a roundabout when the roads are clear and 'push' it - check the AYC lights and see what you get. Umm ..... lets hypothetically take a roundabout that I would normally take at, say, 20 mph going straight ahead in a normal car. I might 'push' it up to 30 mph and be on the limit of adhesion.

Now ......... in the VR4 I might take this same R/A at 30 mph with ease and maybe get one AYC light and 'push' it at 45/50 mph - and I would get 2 or maybe 3 AYC lights. If I tried it at errrr 60 mph the TCL would probably take control and cut fuel together with 3 AYC bars.

This is all hypothetical but hopefully gives you and idea of what the sequence of events MAY be in MY car (NOT yours).

I think something sounds wrong with yours ...... can only really tell if I was in the car with you but I have a sneaky feeling that the electronics that control the AYC bars (lights) and the TCL light on dashboard are screwed up. I say this because although you claim to be pushing it around some bends where tyres will squeal you only get one AYC bar ...... I bet you're getting three really. If you haven't physically felt the TCL working then it probably isn't operating - QED something else is wrong. Ummmm ...... anyone with a VR4 live near to you to compare?

Rich

freaksnzl
20-04-2005, 01:41 AM
i had trouble with my tcl turning it self off because one of the values is a bit faulty, mitsubishi motors hooked my computer up to there computer and told it to ingore the problem. i suggest you got do the same but as everbody else has said tcl should cut out after 3 ayc bars not 1

paulmc
20-04-2005, 07:14 PM
The corner I took at 90 most cars will be pushing it at 70. I was being very rough, just kind of throwing the car into the corner with my foot hard to the floor. Just to see how the car would behave. It did not move, I was very impressed.

I will need to do some more testing when I get back home /yes

cheers

Paul

Kenneth
20-04-2005, 08:49 PM
The corner I took at 90 most cars will be pushing it at 70. I was being very rough, just kind of throwing the car into the corner with my foot hard to the floor. Just to see how the car would behave. It did not move, I was very impressed.

From my experiance, its all about driving style. if you are hard up the gas and making the bum want to come around, you will get plenty of AYC. If you hit the corner at about the max speed anyway, and are only just maintaining speed then so long as the car is on a settled line, you dont need AYC.

I was the passenger in my car one night (been drinking) and my mate (probably the only person I would let push my car) was going around off camber corners at 100mph/160kmh which had bumps mid corner. MAX of 1 bar on the AYC. And those who have monitored some of my previous posts, my tyres are crap.

I have also found it easier to get more bars at lower speeds.