PDA

View Full Version : DS2500 / standard discs?

Louis
19-04-2005, 11:36 PM
Hi Folks,
Is anyone running Ferodo DS2500 pads on original vr4 mitsy front discs?, I am wondering what the disc wear is like when running the harder pads.

Short version of the story is, car went in for a service and I got a call to say one of the front discs was cracked, so I got two new mitsubishi front discs thanks to my warranty, But the warranty doesn't cover pads so they put the old pads back in!!, I have always replaced the pads when I have put on new discs on any cars that I have had, as, if the old discs were scored then the pads will have taken the shape of the old discs, and if you don't get new pads the old pads will score the new discs.

So I got a set of FerodoDS2500's, they look pretty tough! and I am wondering how long my new mitsy discs will last, any info appreciated, cheers Louis

KiwiTT
20-04-2005, 12:55 AM
The PADS are still softer than the steel disks, extra wear should be minimal. Keep an eye on them though and be aware of any starnge noises when braking.

Spirit
20-04-2005, 09:01 AM
Most people IIRC have uprated the discs at the same time as the DS2500's as we have such a good deal for members. Don't panic too much though as even if they do eat the Mitsy discs quicker than normal a set of National 8 groove discs will set you back less than £150 delivered to the door :thumbsup:

Louis
20-04-2005, 09:16 AM
Ta, I am just aware that in normal circumstances when spending money on ds2500 pads you would go for the whole set up, i.e. discs at the same time. Are they any noisier than the regular pads?

Spirit
20-04-2005, 09:18 AM
Not noisier no......just make sure you run them in properly as per the instructions.

They do kick off quite a bit of dust though :evil2:

enigma
20-04-2005, 09:43 AM
I have been temporarily using them on standard discs for 8 months now :embarasse seem to be OK apart from the dust! The pads are about gone as well and are starting to squeel a little - good job I have the Brembos :smug:

Louis
20-04-2005, 10:48 AM
Ta, cheers guys, I seem to have come out on top by buying a warranty, so there not all small print!

bernmc
20-04-2005, 02:24 PM
I ran greenstuff pads on the sheepmobile with standard cheap discs, and they munched the discs in a matter of months. I suppose it would be a question of relative hardness of the discs - I assume that VR4 discs are reasonable sturdy to start off with, so maybe the ferodo's don't eat them quite so fast...?