PDA

View Full Version : HKS mushroom filter

Brind
08-04-2003, 08:48 PM
I've never had a performance filter before, but my VR-4 has one.
What do I need to do to it to maintain it?
And will it last for ever with just cleaning?
Where should I get the cleaner or whatever I need from?

Cheers for any help.

Brind
08-04-2003, 11:00 PM
This is quite worrying.

www.geocities.com/mikegoodies3/inductionintro.html

The mushroom sucks up more dirt than the others and needs to be replaced.
Why didn't the guy who owned the car before get the Blitz stainless steel mesh kit.:INSERT INTO post VALUES (

Spirit
09-04-2003, 07:57 AM
Brind

I looked into this before I bought a HKS induction kit. I had a long chat with Sumopower about it and they said the problem was not the HKS it was when people cleaned/changed the filter.

He advised me not to bother trying to clean the existing filter just to replace it with a new one when the time comes as they only cost around £20 ish - but when you do it you must ensure it is replaced perfectly around all the edges to prevent any dirt/grit getting in. He reckons people are the problem and not the filters !

He told me all this even before I ordered one and they were very helpful. Hope this helps ?

Pete

Roadrunner
09-04-2003, 08:39 AM
I don't know if this is relevant or not with the VR-4, it depends whether there's an Air Flow Sensor in-line after the filter INSERT INTO post VALUES (I guess there should be ....).

With my Legacy RS, I was warned only to use "dry" filters INSERT INTO post VALUES (i.e. ones that didn't need primed with oil) because very fine particles of oil would be drawn over the AFS, affecting the signals sent to the ECU, resulting in the ECU going into fail-safe mode which reduced the turbo boost by around 0.3-0.4 bar on each turbo. I had a contaminated AFS INSERT INTO post VALUES (not caused by the above); in conjunction with a contaminated Lambda sensor INSERT INTO post VALUES (caused, I believe, by using an octane booster) which, together, was a pure sod to diagnose and fix. Nett result was power down to around 215-220bhp instead of 270ish.

Brian

Brind
09-04-2003, 06:48 PM
I read somewhere last night that these filters will last about 10k before needing to be replaced.
Do you know where the best place would be to get a replacement when the time comes?
Do you know if you can get them in red as I've seen they do other colours besides just green, if they do a red filter it'll look better under the bonnet since a couple of other parts are red.
Thanks alot guys for the info.

Spirit
10-04-2003, 12:04 AM
Not sure about different colours - they show a blue one on the website INSERT INTO post VALUES (www.hkseurope.com) but I have an idea they are green only now ?

You cannot purchase direct from HKS UK - I know because I tried - need to order via a supplier. There is a list on the website above but I got mine by mail order from Sumopower. They charged me nothing for P+P and got it 48hrs after ordering - very helpful guys they were to.

Pete

Spirit
10-04-2003, 01:25 AM
Just seen on the Taka Kaira website they have the following colours listed as replacement filters:

Green
Gray
Light Blue
Rose Pink

The rose pink looks a good red colour - tried to save pic to post here but is copyrighted so have a look on the website

Pete

Brind
10-04-2003, 06:31 PM
Oh okay, I'll have a look at that in a sec..

Just one question, what difference has your HKS filter made to your car?
Does the car pull away better etc?

Spirit
10-04-2003, 08:18 PM
To be honest mate I couldn't say. Not had the car for a week now as in the garage, and I only drive it at the weekends so haven't really had chance to play with it. Will let you know when I have it back

Brind
10-04-2003, 10:12 PM
Okay mate that'll be great.