PDA

View Full Version : Got my recaros in

matsondawson
20-04-2005, 10:43 AM
Well I got my new old Recaros in and have a few thoughts on them:

Pros:
* They look great.
* They hug your body like a well built girlfriend.
* They have an extendable lip on the front.
* Infinite levels of recline, standards are really annoying you can never get them in the exact spot you want them.
* Airmatic lumbar support (even though my passenger one is busted)
* They seem to adjust further than standards which is good for tall people like me. And the seem to give the people in the rear a bit more room to sit in.

Cons:
* They weigh about twice as much as standard seats
* They are really hard, standards are more comfortable to just sit in.
* They don't have the tilt adjustments the standards have.
* The controls aren't as easy to reach as standards.

i3ooyah
20-04-2005, 12:55 PM
They weight twice as heavy?

matsondawson
20-04-2005, 01:14 PM
Rough gestimate, I can carry the standard no problem in one hand, won't even break a sweat, but those Recaros... two hand jobby. I guess the adapter base thing for different cars could make them heavier? Might only be a difference in wieght of 60%, maybe not double, may weigh them next time they are out.

They weight twice as heavy?

p1_
21-04-2005, 11:34 AM
Cool Mat - how about some pics? You think that performance seats would be lightweight hey? Or maybe just crash and fire proof :inquisiti :inquisiti :inquisiti

matsondawson
21-04-2005, 12:13 PM
There's a couple of pics in my vbGarage (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=616)

Problem is they are hard to photograph once in...

matsondawson
21-04-2005, 12:22 PM
I tell you what though I missed a Pro...

Check out this excellent bottle / subway holder, it doesn't get in the way of the gear stick.

Freddy
22-04-2005, 04:51 AM
Some questions Matt.

Are they the factory legnum/galant seats?
Where did you find them as I have been looking forever to no avail.
How much, ball park figure will do.

matsondawson
22-04-2005, 05:06 AM
I believe they are the factory Trend J Recaro seats, at least they look exactly the same as the pictures I've seen. I found them on www.trademe.co.nz and got them for ~$650nz + $120 shipping, which was a steal. Believe me when I saw these seats I kept my mouth shut as I knew if I told any of the clubs the probably would have gone for over $1200. I didn't really have the money to buy them, but had to get them because they are rare as hens teeth, maybe even rarer. You could always buy the seats from recaro.co.uk for like 800pounds a seat.
Or look on auctions.yahoo.co.jp and find someone to buy and ship them for you.

Some questions Matt.

Are they the factory legnum/galant seats?
Where did you find them as I have been looking forever to no avail.
How much, ball park figure will do.

p1_
22-04-2005, 07:20 AM
Great buy - I saw them on trademe too :thumbsup:

andy43
21-07-2005, 08:54 PM
A question if I may - you say the recaros have been fitted using a frame adapter of some sort - will this work with any old recaro seats, or do they have to be Mitsu-spec ones? I need to look into this some more I think! Ebay has some real 'bargains' if you search for 'recaro'.

matsondawson
24-07-2005, 05:39 AM
There are Trend recaros in other car types so the seat isn't mitsi specific, I don't know if the frame adapters are generically the same for all recaro seats on mitsis.

andy43
25-07-2005, 08:28 PM
Ta for the advice... next question.... does anybody know if the Galant seat runners are the same as a Lancer - ebay keeps throwing up the odd couple of Evo recaros - the best seats I've sat in I think - and a retrim on them wouldn't be too steep.... must.... resist.... Nope, can't. :happy:

Wodjno
01-08-2005, 12:15 AM
Nicee Job !! :thumbsup:

Legnum Boy
01-08-2005, 12:19 AM
Nicee Job !!

Ditto /yes

Wodjno
01-08-2005, 12:20 AM
Hubba Hubba :chugchug:

andy43
19-09-2005, 10:33 PM
Having spent a lot of time dribbling at seats for sale on ebay, I reckon the Recaro seats fitted to the VR4 are the same as Vectra Gsi seats - different subframes, but the same seats with an extra Gsi badge sewn in - probably a cheaper/easier option than waiting for a pair of gennie Galant seats to turn up.

OSiRiS
26-10-2005, 07:00 PM
Ta for the advice... next question.... does anybody know if the Galant seat runners are the same as a Lancer - ebay keeps throwing up the odd couple of Evo recaros - the best seats I've sat in I think - and a retrim on them wouldn't be too steep.... must.... resist.... Nope, can't. :happy:

Like mine?

http://img487.imageshack.us/img487/2249/dsc009087oz.jpg

I have a Super VR4 which Evo Recaros bolt straight onto my standard seat rails :)

matsondawson
27-10-2005, 03:40 AM
In my first post in april i said about the recaros:
"They are really hard, standards are more comfortable to just sit in."

Well now I'm used to it, I wouldn't part with these seats for the old ones again, I find them very comfortable, and they just make corners so much better.

A question for you Super VR4 guys: do your seats have airmatic lumbar support?

OSiRiS
27-10-2005, 03:48 AM
Nope they don't come standard with the Airmatic Lumbar support in the Super VR4. However other varients of the same seat (Rav 4) have the Airmatic Lumbar support.

ShadyNZer
27-10-2005, 09:12 AM
Like mine?

http://img487.imageshack.us/img487/2249/dsc009087oz.jpg

yours? lol :thumbsup:

OSiRiS
27-10-2005, 09:45 AM
Well, were mine, lol :P