PDA

View Full Version : Import VR4 on Ebay

Brunty
20-04-2005, 05:13 PM
Latest VR4 on EBay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18230&item=4544641138&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW)

http://i16.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/e6/cd/39_3.JPG

VR4 is still in Japan, body work and steering will need some attention.
Starting bid is £2,995.
Buyer is expected to pay £1,200 shipping and dock landing fee.
Car will then require SVA and registration.

Because of the risk (can't inspect car, cost to pass SVA, cost for bodywork repairs) I can't decide whether this is a good deal or not?

Steve

bernmc
20-04-2005, 05:29 PM
COMMENT *ONE OWNER,*FRONT BUMPER IS CRACKED*NO ROOF RAIL*BOTH FRONT DOORS HAS SLIGHT SCRATCHES *STEERING IS SLIGHTLY WORN*OVER £2000 upgrade spent

I used autoadvan when I imported - generally pretty helpful with good customer service, so I don;t think they're out to screw anyone.

The comments above are a direct translation of the auction shet, so pretty standard. You can see the bumper damage. There's no mention of the rad or intercooler/mounts been damaged, so they're either ok, or it's been edited out! 'Slight scratches' are probably just that -slight. There's a different comment for eg a scratch as big as a hand, a large scratch etc. The steering bit is probably the steering wheel, and par for the course in a car this age.

Shipping is £450 on a legnum, landing fees are £170+ 10%duty+17.5%VAT. Based on a bit of reverse engineering, the car looks like it sold for about 300000 yen if they £1200 for this.

Expect to pay around £1300 for SVA prep & test, thatcham 1 alarm, underseal, registration, MOT and a years road tax. (unless you do all the work yourself). Add the cost of a new bumper... and then see wht your highest bid would be.

I'm going to have a quick squiz at the auction sites to see if I can find the original details for you...

bernmc
20-04-2005, 05:45 PM
mmm. Only two black cars I can find are these:

<table bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="2" width="100%"> <tbody><tr bgcolor="#dddddd"><td>31/3</td> <td>1996</td> <td>LegnumW</td> <td>EC5W</td> <td>4WD VR-4 TypeS</td> <td>2500</td> <td>118</td> <td>FA</td> <td>black</td> <td>AC PS PW</td> <td>3</td> <td>264</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#dddddd"> <td>23/3</td> <td>1996</td> <td>LegnumW</td> <td>EC5W</td> <td>4WD VR-4 TypeS</td> <td>2500</td> <td>95</td> <td>FA</td> <td>black</td> <td>AC SR AW PS PW</td> <td>R</td> <td>275</td></tr></tbody> </table>
Higher mileage than the one advertised, but grade 3 or 'R' (accident repaired) would be in the right area, so the 300K yen pricetag would be about right.

If you did the whole thing yourself, and imported a 300K yen car, it would cost you about £4700 on the road with all the stuff I mentioned above, but before you've bought a new bumper... so ?£200ish for a new bumper (haven't a clue),

edit oops -sums fixed. you'd save yourself a grand if you did it yourself even at the starting price. Assuming I've got the jap price corrrect that is...

Brunty
20-04-2005, 05:45 PM
I'm going to have a quick squiz at the auction sites to see if I can find the original details for you...

Just for clarity - I've no intention of bidding as I'm happy with my VR4 now it's up and running. There seem to be a few people on the look out for low priced VR4s/Legnums so I thought I'd link to it from CVR4.

£2,995 cost+£1,200duties+£1,300SVA+repairs=say £6,000

ritch_w
20-04-2005, 07:05 PM
too expensive!!!!
if it was £1500 + shipping then yes it would be ok

IMO better off buying a minter than trying to make a dog a minter - costs too much in the long run!

bernmc
20-04-2005, 07:22 PM
IMO better off buying a minter than trying to make a dog a minter - costs too much in the long run!

Ahh.. you must be referring to this minter :smug: :

Japow
22-04-2005, 05:26 PM
Auto Advan are brokers who basically offer a sort of drop-shipping service for Jap dealers/UK consumers. I happen to know where this car is for sale in Japan - at 450,000 yen (circa £2238.00). Hence, I guess, their £2500 start price. If someone takes the car at that price then it's good business for them as they must get a commission from the dealer. More than £2.5K means even better business.

In my view this car isn't good VFM either broken or minted up as I bought one in much better nick for less recently. Just your luck trawling the auctions i guess - time of day/week etc.