PDA

View Full Version : Boost controllers

ritch_w
23-04-2005, 10:21 AM
Ok - i know nothing about these things so looking for some enlightenment!!!

1st daft question - can boost controllors be set to have a "high" and a "low" boost??

what i'm thinking here is that when i'm, doing the skool run etc i dont get above 30mph and definately dont need high boost - so could a low boost or zero boost be set??? (would this help mpg as well??)

and use a "high" boost for more appropriate driving conditions?

2. how much do boost controllers cost?

cheers

Ritch :thumbsup:

Wodjno
23-04-2005, 03:16 PM
I'm not the most qualified on the site to explain about boost controllers but i'll have a go ..
Price they start from as little as £20 for a manual boost controller upto £400+ for the electronic type ..
I have a manual boost contoller which can't be automatically set for high and low boost , but can easily be adjusted in 30secs. I'm sure the electronic ones have settings to do this at a touch of a button ..
But all you need to control the boost is a controlled Right foot .. If you only feather the accelerator then you won't get any boost at all, and the more you stamp your right foot down the more you get up to the max that the boost controller has been set ..

Hope this helps

paulmc
23-04-2005, 04:35 PM
Yes. They can be electronic or manual but the manual ones need to be piped into the cabin then you get a big boost spike.

School run etc you wont be using boost or if you are it will be very little. Best to plumb up a boost gauge so you can see what you are doing boost wise. Low or high boost wont effect your mpg unless you are going for a fast run where you are using full throttle

As Wodjon says almost free to £400ish

ritch_w
23-04-2005, 07:30 PM
Best to plumb up a boost gauge so you can see what you are doing boost wise.

mind reader!!!

just bought one from fleabay :thumbsup:

paulmc
23-04-2005, 08:17 PM
cool ;)

AllBeItMine
23-04-2005, 09:39 PM
the main difference between Manual Boost controllers and Electronic ones is,

A Manual one will bleed off the same amount of boost between the boost source and the wastegates. for example, you wind it a couple of turns and it will always bleed of 4psi of signal. for example.

A Fancy electronic one is slightly different as it will bleed off as much or as litle of the signal to acheive the desired boost level.

Now in most turbo cars with a turbo that can hold boost to redline, the differences here aren't that noticeable. But in cars such as ours where the boost tends to drop off nearing redline, a boost controller than can vary the amount of boost pressure it bleeds can come in handy to smooth off the boost line and give you a much flatter curve.

One of the other main differences also is that most electronic units can be controlled in cabin on the fly. but to be honest - once you have set your boost to a level you feel comfortable with. you will most likely not change it. as said above, driving the car and modulating the speed with your foot is what most of us do.

Axeboy
24-04-2005, 12:02 AM
Hi Ritch

I have a HKS EVC fitted to my car.

Standard boost was measured at 0.51bar (pre facelift)

Ive set low to 0.7bar and high to 0.85bar.

You can also set a SBC mode, which i think stands for short burst control... so you could set it for 1 bar for 30 seconds.

If you want to give my car a try with it, give me a shout.