PDA

View Full Version : Disconnection of battery

Paul Beazer
24-04-2005, 06:21 PM
Just a simple Q.
Been doing a bit of tidying up on mine today, which involved disconnecting and taking the battery out.
Is there anything you should do when re-connecting it (apart from put all the settings back on the stereo and setting the clock :undecided )?
The reason I ask is when the aircon kicks in the idle speed drops from about 700ish to 500ish? I know there is "resistance" from the compressor, but Im sure it didnt seem to drop so low before.
Not a major issue admittedly, but like to do things right. I know with cars i've had before you had to run them at so many rpm for a few mins, then slow driving for a few miles etc for the ECU to "re-learn", do ours need this?
Anyone any thoughts?
:thinking:

wirdy
24-04-2005, 06:59 PM
My battery ran flat last night (kids - interior lights.....arrgghh!!). Charged up this morning & all is well - your symptoms are quite normal, my tickover was down around the 300-400 mark (it almost stalls) when going over speedbumps etc this morning. This only lasts for as long as it takes the brain to re-adjust itself.

The quickest way I've found is to give it some beans once its warmed up, I have a suspicion the ECU needs a couple of full throttle blasts to recalibrate AF meter / throttle potentiometer etc.

Roadrunner
24-04-2005, 07:02 PM
The quickest way I've found is to give it some beans once its warmed up, I have a suspicion the ECU needs a couple of full throttle blasts to recalibrate AF meter / throttle potentiometer etc.
Take care, though. If you have a tiptronic box, you will need to drive it sensibly for a few days so it learns a sensible style of driving. If you rag it immediately after reconnecting the battery, the box becomes a real dog to work with because (I guess) it thinks it should be driven that way all the time.

Paul Beazer
24-04-2005, 07:12 PM
Take care, though. If you have a tiptronic box, you will need to drive it sensibly for a few days so it learns a sensible style of driving. If you rag it immediately after reconnecting the battery, the box becomes a real dog to work with because (I guess) it thinks it should be driven that way all the time.

Cheers for that chaps. Looks like I need to find an excuse to go for a burn!! I've got a manual so the gearbos issue doesnt apply!

:thumbsup:

Polabear
25-04-2005, 06:35 PM
ECU to "re-learn", do ours need this?
Anyone any thoughts?
:thinking:

Yes Paul it does.. I also have a v6-24 as well as the vr4

Kieran
25-04-2005, 07:47 PM
Yes, if you disconnect Hordak's battery, he goes into 'Spacko' mode for a few hundred miles untill the ECU works out what day it is!

Paul Beazer
25-04-2005, 08:36 PM
Yes, if you disconnect Hordak's battery, he goes into 'Spacko' mode for a few hundred miles untill the ECU works out what day it is!
Good oh! Spacko mode it is. Is that similar to safe mode, the car equivalent the BSOD? :leer:

p1_
26-04-2005, 08:57 AM
How long do you have to leave it disconnected? Or doesnt it matter, and is this a good way to re-set the ECU, i.e. is it recommended? :inquisiti

wirdy
26-04-2005, 10:49 AM
How long do you have to leave it disconnected? Or doesnt it matter, and is this a good way to re-set the ECU, i.e. is it recommended? :inquisiti

30 Secs works for me.

I keep meaning to buy one of those 'theft deterrent' battery terminals that you can just undo a thumbwheel to disconnect power. You'd need to remove the fused link from this product also to ensure full power-down.

Hmmm.....£6.99 versus a free 10mm spanner. I might find one at a car boot sale for 50p, then I'll buy one.