PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! blue smoke!!!

Amanlikechris
27-04-2005, 03:18 PM
hi folks
just a question for the mechanics, just got a vr4 and at idle and or no boost there's no trace of smoke but under boost i can see a trail of smoke peeping out over my trunklid ,

any ideas suggestions?

Roadrunner
27-04-2005, 05:16 PM
hi folks
just a question for the mechanics, just got a vr4 and at idle and or no boost there's no trace of smoke but under boost i can see a trail of smoke peeping out over my trunklid ,

any ideas suggestions?
Possibly the valve stem oil seals ...

paulmc
27-04-2005, 05:51 PM
valve stem seals tend to show they are knackered on over run, got down a hill letting the car push the engine (no throttle) then stamp on the throttle if you see smoke that is usually the stem seals. It sounds more like blow-by or turbo is knackered. The engine suckes in oil under vacuum throught the worn stem seals

Blow-by is where the rings and or the bores are worn letting boost past pressuring up the sump and forcing oil out the breather and into the inlet side on the engine usually around the air cleaner or may be straight into the inlet manifold. I have not looked at the VR4's breather system yet.

If you disconnect the breather and let it vent to atmosphere if the some stops your rings etc are worn. If it does not stop your turbo is prob knackered. On saying that if the turbo is knackered they usually somke all the time. You may find the somke gets worse quickly if it is the turbo.

not an easy one this until it gets worse

HTH

Paul