PDA

View Full Version : Sqeaks and squeels ?

caishanvr4
28-04-2005, 01:27 PM
Afternoon fellow members

On some occasions particularly when its a cold and muggy day when i start my vee theres like a sqeaking noise that comes from engine,driver side,i think its the pulleys or something but im not 100% sure. Sounds like could do with wd40 down there but i would like this noise cured at any expense /help me pls

its not mice or any other small animal trapped either, they have already been disposed of.

Nick Mann
28-04-2005, 01:35 PM
Probably one or both of the accessory belts. They are easy to tighten, and there is definitely chat of this somewhere.... I have this problem and have made it much better by tweaking a bit more tension in to the belts. You have to be careful not to overdo it, as the rubbers on the pulleys can be distorted, which causes bigger and more expensive problems!

Belts are cheap if they are not genuine mitsy, and I am lead to believe that fitting is not too bad either, but I've never done it myself.

Dream Weaver
06-05-2005, 07:52 AM
Mine does this as well, it has just been serviced by Xtreme and they fitted new aux. belts and a new tensioner as the original was seized.

I have had a Sony active sub fitted (OK I know - sad aren't I ? :drummer: ) and I think that with that and the aircon that the alternator is having to work harder and that is what the squeak is. My VR-4 still has the farty little Japanese battery which looks a bit puny for such a big car with all its electrical gizmos.

If I leave the CD player or the aircon off it does not occur. Might be the aircon pump on the way out tough - doh !

_simon_
06-05-2005, 12:17 PM
The size of the battery shouldn't matter. Its only needed to start your car. Once the alternators going you should be charging the battery not drawing from it. :)

Rally205
06-05-2005, 07:16 PM
[QUOTE=_simon_]The size of the battery shouldn't matter. Its only needed to start your car. Once the alternators going you should be charging the battery not drawing from it. :)

Ideally yes. But not if you are using more current than the alternator can supply. Then batteries make a big difference.

I think I said this on the last post that mentioned this but use a candle. With the engine running hold the candle on the belt that is squealing. Both sides of the belt but be very, very, very careful not to get any part of you trapped in the rotating parts. I accept no responsiblity for anyone hurting themselves using this method but trust me it works /yes

p.s Not that I doubt anyones intellect but the candle does not need to be lit :happy: :evil2:

Dream Weaver
07-05-2005, 06:34 AM
I always thought that a car battery is to ensure the cars electricals get enough power if the laternator is heavily loaded.

Good tip on the candle, I'll try it as well.