PDA

View Full Version : how do i change the rear bank spark plugs?

Gly
01-05-2005, 05:01 AM
time to do this in my legnum...
fronts are easy enough,

i assume you have to take off the intake manifold...
anything i need to watch out for when doing this?? any gaskits/o-rings need replacing once the intake is taken off?

thanks for any advice given.

Paul Beazer
04-05-2005, 08:38 PM
Hey Gly,

Did my rear bank a couple of months ago. Mine is just a V6 SPORT, VR4s obviously have more piping for the turbos etc. Not a difficult job as long as you're methodical.
First up disconnect the various electrical connections, earths and air / fuel connections attached to the manifold, you need to disconnect the coolant hoses near the throttle housing, and the throttle cable. You can also remove the air intake hose etc to give you a bit more room (clean the dissy cap while you're at it). Its pretty straightforward really. Once all the cable etc are out of the way, you need to undo the bolts that hold the manifold on (theres 11 or 12 i cant remember exactly) and 3 at the back of the engine to support the manifold itself.

Then pop your plugs out and in and reverse the process.
I dont know if you're supposed to replace the gasket between the head and manifold, but mine looked ok so I left it alone.
Anyone know the torque settings?
One tip, do the job in a well let area so you can see all the connections etc.
From memory, took me about 90mins to do it.

Good luck, its pretty easy if you've got a reasonable degree of experience. 2 spanner difficulty level i'd say.

Nick Mann
04-05-2005, 08:47 PM
Paul - why did you do that? You've never got it to 108k miles already? And I think you'll find Gly has a non-turbo V6, so that should be good info for him!

BDA has changed plugs left right and centre. (Or should that be front and back?!) Certainly the couple of times I helped him do the job there was no gasket renewal!

Paul Beazer
04-05-2005, 10:28 PM
Paul - why did you do that? You've never got it to 108k miles already?

Errr because I wanted to spend £50 quid on plugs and skin my knuckles in the process?? I tended to replace plugs more often than I needed to in the past, i figure it doesnt do any harm, also means I know its been done, after all there were a couple of gaps in the service history (mind you, you never had it long engough to warrant getting your hands dirty!! :thumbsup: )

What the replacement interval on plugs then? I take its more than 12k / 12 months then (obviously, judging by your horror at changing them!!!)?

zedy1
04-05-2005, 10:40 PM
on the v6 plugs need to e changed at 54k or 5 years

Paul Beazer
04-05-2005, 10:46 PM
on the v6 plugs need to e changed at 54k or 5 years
Err, ok then! Christ they last the same time as a cam belt, impressive!

Nick Mann
05-05-2005, 09:48 AM
Platinum plugs too - And for £50 I guess you haven't bought those?

Paul Beazer
05-05-2005, 12:12 PM
Platinum plugs too - And for £50 I guess you haven't bought those?

Ballpark figure (think they were £9 each + vat ish). It was what was recommended, honest! I remember having a fit at how expensive they were! If they last 54k I can see why, aah well, the deed is done now! /yes

psbarham
05-05-2005, 12:16 PM
before i go and strip all mine down , can any one tell me what the thread size and length is please , its just that one of my customers builds the works honda touring car engines and has loads of surface discharge plugs kicking about that have only done one race, and before anyone asks they do make a difference , even to our honda mower :inquisiti well 6.5 hp at the roller isn't to be sniffed at

BraindG
05-05-2005, 12:38 PM
There is also a nice article in the members only article section - which can be found here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2729)