PDA

View Full Version : North Shore Meet with Run to Wellsford

Kenneth
03-05-2005, 06:26 AM
The current plan is to follow (at least generally) the posted map. You will see the map has the route (Pronounced ROOT) in two colours. These colours are Black and Green. The black route goes through Riverhead/Coatsville, Hellensville, onto highway 16 and terminates in some spectacular doughys in Wellsford.

Need I say, if you get caught doing anything illegal we will deny any knowledge of you or seeing your car.

The Green route (pronounced ROOT) is the main highway between Wellsford and Auckland.
This is an OPTIONAL ROUTE. We will choose which to take (Green or Black) on the RETURN trip in this thread, or on the day. Up to you.

More detailed maps of the Areas where people are likely to get lost are forthcomming. This will include stops so you don't fly past at warp factor and miss us all chilling out at the gas station.

Also, if you have specific requirement, please state them and we will do our best to accomodate (if reasonable).

PS: Don't forget; Route is pronounced ROOT.

UPDATE: Times for the Run

8:30 - Bombay BP Truck Stop
9:15 - Greenlane Washworld/McDonalds Carpark
10:00 - Takapuna Golf Course - Northcote Off-Ramp Near the Po
10:30 - Start of the Run to Wellsford
12:00 - Arrive at Wellsford Park. Lunch
1:00 - Back Route to Helensville. (Optional)
2:30 - Takapuna Golf Course Again (Optional)

97_Legnum
03-05-2005, 06:35 AM
Any chance of putting a bbq into the trip by any chance?

Kenneth
03-05-2005, 06:37 AM
Meet time is penciled in for 10am. Place to meet will be the takapuna golf course car park. Take a look at the map provided, X marks the spot.

It should be easy enough to find.

I have also marked with a green blob and an arrow the local Mobil, which supplies 98 octane fuel (only gaurenteed to 97.5 though!)

The arrow in pink is around about where you will find a pretty reasonably bakery. Again, its pretty easy to spot the little group of shops on the same side as the arrow.

On second thoughts, the detailed maps of the route (pronounced ROOT) may not be provided for a little while, maybe only as a print-out on the day. Depends on demand.

Kenneth
03-05-2005, 06:40 AM
Any chance of putting a bbq into the trip by any chance?

Yes. But I'm tired tonight, so don't expect any commitment on where.

BTW, if you have ideas like this, great... But if you can, please back them up with a suggestion. That way I have to do less thinking.

ie: Any chance of putting a bbq into the trip by any chance? [sic] A good place for a BBQ is ....

dickytim
03-05-2005, 08:35 AM
Taking the gear box this week end (after the decats are done) then the following week will be putting it back together with the new clutch.

So will haav my baby back and on boost

KiwiTT
03-05-2005, 10:14 PM
I am in and likely for both days. An oppurtunity to stretch the legs is not to be missed twice. :D

Trow
04-05-2005, 01:46 PM
woo hoo drunk as a skunk!!! passed my FULL bike test today so NZ trust me to drive a 1000cc and bigger (I mean anything else is a scooter right?????) I can't believe they trust me... they surely dont know me yet... ooooo drunk... shouldn't be talking... Mmmm Auckland soon!!!! woo hooo.... he he he he... watch out 'ere I come

EDIT: that had nothing to do with the post and al be there!! gonan, be hung over in the morning

KiwiTT
05-05-2005, 10:22 PM
Added it to the front page.

freaksnzl
06-05-2005, 12:55 AM
sorry would love to go but the main reason is $$$/help. Its that time of the month that my rego is due, insurance is due, brakes, AYC so leaves no money for playing with. Sorry again

GroundControl
06-05-2005, 01:32 AM
Yay, got my legnum now :D

I'll put in a vote for saturday, but I'm not really sure what I'm doing that weekend so Sunday could well be fine too :)

Pescha
07-05-2005, 08:07 AM
Ok we can make it Saturday, if anyone wants to convoy from south of the Bombays, we'll be at the truck stop at bombay BP at 8.30am! (If it is set for a Saturday that is) :)

Cheers,
Pescha!

bradc
08-05-2005, 12:30 AM
I was hoping it would be Sunday, I'm supposed to work on Saturday, I'll just take the day off ;)

Pescha, the Bombay BP has 98 Octane, thats the only place I go for my petrol, we can fill up there.

NAUSED
08-05-2005, 01:51 AM
so its looking good for saturday 28th may man i can't wait for this cruze i mean a chain of phat as vr4's how can you control yourself.

daktari
12-05-2005, 01:04 PM
:thumbsup: Yep Im a starter for Saturday the 28th
Can I expect to catch up to KiwiTT to hand over my subs and m/ship form?

Kenneth
12-05-2005, 08:35 PM
It looks like saturday is a definate.

Will wait a bit to see what interest there is in sunday, might be able to run both days.

Cheers people, keep voting on the poll :thumbsup:

Kenneth
16-05-2005, 01:31 AM
Who wants a BBQ afterwards?

Who wants to nominate a place/their place for said BBQ (if there is enough interest)

p1_
16-05-2005, 02:24 AM
Sorry guys - no can do - wifes birthday that weekend and we have a party.

Have fun - and make sure you leave some tarmac on the road for me, when I next head north, oh yes and watch out for the :-policema. Put someone on 'point' who has a detector /yes

GroundControl
16-05-2005, 09:25 AM
I'll probably carry on up north from Wellsford, so count me out for a BBQ (unless it's on the way up)

NAUSED
18-05-2005, 06:13 AM
i think we should do it both days for the people who couldn't come on saturday can come on sunday.

thats my 2 cents

dickytim
18-05-2005, 07:10 AM
I would love to do it both days but, as a committee member, I would be expected to goto both, I may not have the gas to do it on one day letalone 2 days.

Kenneth
18-05-2005, 07:54 AM
I would love to do it both days but, as a committee member, I would be expected to goto both, I may not have the gas to do it on one day letalone 2 days.

I think KiwiTT is keen to run it both days... I don't see a problem if we run it 2 days and you don't turn up for one... lol, I still may not turn up to eithier ;)

There seems to be enough interest to run both days... Will make the decision closer to the time I think.

KiwiTT
18-05-2005, 09:37 PM
I was keen on both days. But am now leaning to just Saturday. May turn up at the pre-meet for Sunday though.

maori_by_nature
21-05-2005, 07:57 AM
yeah i'm keen as the VR needs a good run u set the time and day and stuff and i'll b thurr

maori_by_nature
24-05-2005, 08:01 AM
this might sound like a dumb question but is this run open 2 non members as well??? cause i'm keen as 2 come.

dickytim
24-05-2005, 08:05 AM
all are welcome, paid up members, and non paid up members.

all are most welcome,

BTW I hope to see you there Maori

maori_by_nature
24-05-2005, 09:22 AM
got 2 get let off my leash first. if i do i'll be there....

Pescha
24-05-2005, 10:15 AM
Maori the only question that is dumb is the one that doesnt get asked, and why are you leashed lol?

Plus can someone add the bombay met for anyone who is south of the bombays? 8.30am at the bombay BP leaving at 9am to covoy to the Takapuna meet point at 10am.

My cell number for those who do not have it is 027 212 9199 :thumbsup:

Cheers
Pescha!

i3ooyah
24-05-2005, 10:39 AM
are we having just one run on the saturday or both?

will only be able to make the saturday run

maori_by_nature
24-05-2005, 10:40 AM
let off my leash mean'n i'll have 2 do the runners from the misses she dont like anything 2 do with cars... i was lucky 2 b aloud 2 use my own money 2 buy this one lol.

Pescha, if u head'n up from south any chance of make'n a quick pit stop @ greenlane wash world/ mc donalds 2 pic me up on your way

Pescha
24-05-2005, 10:44 AM
Yip cant see why not.... lets say 9.15am at Greenlane wash world/ McDonalds, leaving at 9.30am to covoy to the Takapuna meet point at 10am.

Cheers,
Pescha!

p1_
24-05-2005, 11:09 AM
Have fun guys - Im not jealous....much :embarasse

i3ooyah
24-05-2005, 11:21 AM
hopeless p1 :P

show us a clean meister blue example

ShadyNZer
24-05-2005, 11:46 AM
oooh i might be in, ill text pescha and make a fashionable late entrance again :) pretty early tho, but should be all good...
cruise at day, get pissed and watch the crusaders at night :thumbsup:

Smokinmasta2
24-05-2005, 02:27 PM
I voted no! Not for not wanting to, but because i really want to but cant because i live in Blighty!!

100 points to emigrate still.................might have a change of a career!!

Smokin..................

dickytim
24-05-2005, 07:52 PM
Maori, will be at the Washworld/Mcd's car park at 9:15

Look out for the car with the plates LOUDER.

maori_by_nature
25-05-2005, 12:01 AM
sweet as, i'll probly b there a bit earlyer wanna wash the car and make it all purrty... as you do.

pesha, i'll txt or call if i cant make it for sum reasion i.e. act of god... crash... misses pulling the leash tighter...

GroundControl
25-05-2005, 03:56 AM
I may as well meet you guys at Greenlane, seeing as I live in Balmoral and it's not far away /yes

maori_by_nature
25-05-2005, 07:06 AM
i reccon it's probly easyer 2 meet at the wash world least we wont have as many other cars 2 contend with... if any

GroundControl
28-05-2005, 05:17 AM
Cheers guys, nice to meet some other VR4 owners /yes

And a fun drive, even if the weather wasn't the best for it. I'll upload some photos when I'm connected via something more reliable (and cheap) than this mobile jetstream connection.

ShadyNZer
28-05-2005, 06:17 AM
*waits for pics* :thumbsup:

NAUSED
28-05-2005, 06:51 AM
must of been a phat meet and a mad as cruse i couldn't make it today but i will be there tomorrow for sure

maori_by_nature
28-05-2005, 07:00 AM
yeah it was a pretty sweet run... spechely for the lead 3 cars, it was a pretty short run for us lol

i3ooyah
28-05-2005, 07:00 AM
me 2, didnt realise i was moving houses this weekend

Kenneth
28-05-2005, 07:07 AM
Yep, it was an awesome run!
I took 97_legnum (Mel) with me on the way up.

You think the way up was fun? KiwiTT and I did the run in reverse to dairy flat (the toilet stop on the way up) in half an hour!

It seems a good day was had by all, nothing unfortunate happend and eveyone agreed that the run was damn fun.

Cheers guy, look forward to many more runs.

bradc
28-05-2005, 07:58 AM
Yeah it was a damned good time. I went back on SH1, trying to follow Pescha, maori, and (I think) dickytim, but I got stuck behind a truck doing 30kph up the hill from waiwera and lost you guys :(

I totally forgot to take pics though. Is anyone meeting at the BP Bombays tomorrow morning? I might pop up there and say hello.

Now I've just got to get the grime off the car. Kenneth, do you find a big thick layer of mud gathers in the gaps around the extended wheel arches in your car? I had tons there in mine after the run.

And something unfortunate happened to me, I was looking under the bonnet tonight and noticed a small crack along the top of the radiator, just where the fill point is :( Upon close inspection it looks like it has already been repaired with black goop, which is something I didn't notice until then. Who reckons I should take it back? I've only had it for 3-4 weeks....

maori_by_nature
28-05-2005, 08:57 AM
under consumer rights the dealership you brought it from has 2 fix it if you have had the car for less than a month.

yeah i noticed you got stuck behind sumthin cause i looked it my mirror and you were gone lol

bradc
28-05-2005, 09:31 AM
sweet, thanks for that info dude.

Do you know what we should have done, filled up with petrol at takapuna, then filled up at wellsford, and seen how much petrol everyone used. Anyone going tomorrow who reads this should try that. It will be interesting to see how much differance in fuel consumption there is between cars.

Kenneth
28-05-2005, 09:42 AM
There is much more in how you drive the car than each individual cars consumption rate. Unless you have some aftermarket tuning... as they do run very rich.

If you search through the forums you will find a fair bit of discussion on fuel consumption rates, and most get similar figures under the same driving conditions.

I do notice that my flares get some dirt behind them, but not a great deal.

On a side note, please don't hijack this thread.
Ta

maori_by_nature
28-05-2005, 10:47 AM
whats a thread???

maori_by_nature
28-05-2005, 10:48 AM
and wat do you mean by dont hijake it?

GroundControl
28-05-2005, 10:57 AM
a thread is what we're posting in here (thread of discussion on the forums), and hijacking is changing the topic from what was originally posted (the meet) - i.e. what we're doing right now

soooo, back to the original topic :D

KiwiTT
28-05-2005, 12:22 PM
It was a really fast run back too. Overall 210km and 39 litres used. This will go down as one of the best meets for driving we have had. It was a good opportunity to see what the cars could do on windy roads.

My car really stuck to the road wet or dry.

97_Legnum
28-05-2005, 02:20 PM
Thanks Ken for picking me up, I had a great time and really enjoyed it even though I didn't drive... I haven't enjoyed being a passenger for a long time...

Oh and thanks Peasha for taking me home you little hottie.... lol

Kenneth
28-05-2005, 10:08 PM
Thanks Ken for picking me up, I had a great time and really enjoyed it even though I didn't drive... I haven't enjoyed being a passenger for a long time...

Oh and thanks Peasha for taking me home you little hottie.... lol

Not a problem, it was nice to have a passenger. Event better to have one that was relaxed and chatty despite the er... conditions :D

Hopefully you get to drive today.

In future we will have to think about having a fast group and a slower group, as it seems that we naturally split that way anyway. I contemplated slowing the group down, but felt it would only be frustrating.

Good on everyone for staying within their driving limits too. I would much rather wait for you at the end, than have to come back to pick you up :rolleyes4

Gotta go, going to todays meet :thumbsup:

Trow
29-05-2005, 01:38 AM
Here's some photos from today( sunday) although only me ken and Naused was there!!!! the run was cancelled but it was nice to meet you Naused!

Cheers
Scott.

Pescha
29-05-2005, 01:59 AM
Thanks guys for an awesome day. I got 400kms from $45.00 98 Octane! So I'm wrapped.

VR4's ROCK!

Pescha!

ShadyNZer
29-05-2005, 02:13 AM
any other pics?

bradc
29-05-2005, 02:44 AM
Groundcontrol, I remember you taking some pics of your car, with my car in the background, I think 'louder' might have been in there too, when will you be able to post those pics?

I got 330km for 36 litres, kiwitt, your little sedan must really suck the gas, or you were just driving much faster than me an Pescha ;)

Kenneth
29-05-2005, 04:20 AM
I got 330km for 36 litres, kiwitt, your little sedan must really suck the gas, or you were just driving much faster than me an Pescha ;)

I used a fair bit of gas also. I suspect it was because we were going much faster than you... :rolleyes4

EDIT: not that it was a race... in all we still made good time, and I think everyone was happy with the speeds they were doing.
Except maybe Pescha, how was the run for you? maybe next time we swap and you can lead... I didn't go a great job of keeping everyone at a similar speed :embarasse

Kenneth
29-05-2005, 04:22 AM
What happened to all of you who said you would come to sunday? We had 3 members there!

Thanks for turning up NAUSED!

dickytim
29-05-2005, 04:23 AM
so Blow Hard VR4 didn't show then, surprise surprise

97_Legnum
29-05-2005, 04:54 AM
I only got my VR's back just before lunch today...

Come on Next Event....

97_Legnum
29-05-2005, 04:58 AM
Did you tint your tail lights, if so how, and do you have any problems with WOF and such?

Just enquiring, not trying ta highjack here... :embarasse

bradc
29-05-2005, 05:55 AM
There is a VR4 I see everyday that has tinted tail lights, I'll post some pics up in another thread the maybe tomorrow...

Maybe next time we should try and stick together more as a pack, like when 3 or 4 people pass a car those people wait for the rest to pass and catch up ;) I think the thread isn't hijacked that badly, the run is over now anyway, so there isn't too much left to talk about ;)

GroundControl
29-05-2005, 06:02 AM
Groundcontrol, I remember you taking some pics of your car, with my car in the background, I think 'louder' might have been in there too, when will you be able to post those pics?

Yeah I got a few pics, I'll post them up tonight when I get back.

And looking at my odometer, I've done just over 300k's since the last fill, and my petrol light has started coming on :o

NAUSED
29-05-2005, 07:22 AM
it was a cool meet although it was only 3 of us but it was still cool

kornstar
29-05-2005, 09:50 AM
sounds like it was a good time guys, will have to come along to a meet at catch up with everyone... is there a hamilton meet coming up?

dickytim
29-05-2005, 08:17 PM
We haven't organised one yet, but we plan on having one in the next 6 weeks or so.

Look out for a new post on the forums.

:)

GroundControl
29-05-2005, 10:39 PM
Sorry guys, didn't get the pics posted last night - got a flat on the way home about 11pm :(

So I'm at work now, with a new tyre and a couple of hundred dollars on the credit card bill, uploading the photos I have - will be done shortly.

GroundControl
29-05-2005, 11:28 PM
Here's a couple of pics - the rest can be found here (http://sam.ftw.net.nz/gallery/clubvr4-28may05) /yes

KiwiTT
30-05-2005, 12:15 AM

I was driving for power, not economy. I drove it really hard. The Wellsford to Albany route was really fast. Spent most of my time in 4,000-6,000 rpm. Used the gears (engine-braking) more than the brakes themselves

In future we will have to think about having a fast group and a slower group, as it seems that we naturally split that way anyway. I contemplated slowing the group down, but felt it would only be frustrating.

Something to consider. However, some cars had families in them and some were VR-4 newbies. We may have been just a little to quick. 50km of windy roads in 30 minutes; that was moving. Great fun though.

Any route planned in the future must have similar windy bits.

Kenneth
30-05-2005, 12:49 AM
... 50km of windy roads in 30 minutes; that was moving. Great fun though.

Any route planned in the future must have similar windy bits.

You are an addict ;)

... just like me /help

97_Legnum
30-05-2005, 05:40 AM
I certainly enjoyed meeting all the new people, and those members I hadn't yet met "Kiwitt" I need 4 new tyres on my wagon and getting the same Goodyears as you mate. :thumbsup:

maori_by_nature
30-05-2005, 05:52 AM
all in all i'd have 2 say it was a well worth while day. i'll definetly b there 4 the next 1. plus it was real good 2 meet a few more people with the same passion.

madvr4
11-06-2009, 06:01 AM
wow this is my vr4 but this must be a old photo,go to see a photo i havnt seen my car in over a year lol

bradc
11-06-2009, 06:38 AM
Which one is yours?

madvr4
12-06-2009, 12:42 AM
NAUSED old one