PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy suspension?

BraindG
05-05-2005, 12:22 PM
As a few might be aware, i have a rather weird driving issue, jelly like.

about 4 weeks ago i took each wheel off, and check, tightened all bolts, and bits and bobs under the arches. I couldn't see a problem, nor could i get anything tighter.

Having racked my brain, the only time the car was performing good was pre Japfest 2004. Whilst on track and coming out of one the chicanes there was a very loud bang/crack from the right hand side of the car. This i believe is/was the point of deterioration of the cars handling...

So my question is this, how can you tell if the suspension is fecked?
i know the driving over Potholes things, and hearing a thud. However would a dodgy spring, or something cause a jelly like feel the handling?

I am going to put on my Tanabe Sustec suspension back on to the car this weekend, or next.. to see if i can sort the problem.

also, what affect would dodgy anti roll bar links have?

psbarham
05-05-2005, 12:54 PM
have you had the tracking checked i:e 4 wheel laserlined ?

BraindG
05-05-2005, 01:06 PM
yeah, november i tried that one :(

psbarham
05-05-2005, 01:29 PM
damn i thought that might help , we had the same thing on my old mk3 festa after the missus kerbed it (at about 85mph) handled like a shed of sh!t all wobbley and jittery we had it tracked and all was fine for a week and then it started again , it turned out that she had craked one of the front suspension mounts causing it to move around , so out with the mig welder welded it up and also made an anti women driver kerbing damage device ( bottom strut brace) , then had it 4 wheel tracked and all was well again

ritch_w
05-05-2005, 01:44 PM
stating the obvious - sounds like somthing is fooked!

you probably need to take the shocks off to fully inspect them (my wifes last car failed an MOT on cracked spring - you wouldnt have know untill the shock was off....)

anyway itsprobably going to be the only way to findout what went pop last year....

Kenneth
05-05-2005, 11:30 PM
open the door, stand on the sill and rock the car. if the shocks are stuffed, you will get it rocking pretty easily. if just one shock in stuffed, you might need to go around the individual corners and try.

RED
05-05-2005, 11:39 PM
Loud bang or crack sounds like a spring has broken. Does the car sit low on one corner?

DUNLY
03-06-2005, 01:25 PM
open the door, stand on the sill and rock the car. if the shocks are stuffed, you will get it rocking pretty easily. if just one shock in stuffed, you might need to go around the individual corners and try.

Hi there, see when i do this the back right "Creeks" andy ideas??

Louis
03-06-2005, 03:06 PM
Hi,
Check the top mounting nuts, where the strut is attached at the top of the tower, you could have sheared a stud!, if anti roll bar bush or bracket (where it as attached to the chassis, one a side) is loose or broken you will notice more roll on corners, (car won't stay flat round bends.
It could also be a wheel bearing, with the car parked, put your foot against the top of the tyre at the side(on the tyre wall) on push with your foot, you will be able to feel and hear any slack in the bearing, goog luck

Kenneth
04-06-2005, 01:45 AM
When I had the samething in my old car (Galant) I took the strut out and sprayed some grease (from a can, cool stuff!) on all the bits and pieces. When I put it all back together it was all good.

Might just be that you have some grime in one of the bushes

DUNLY
05-06-2005, 06:24 PM
Well thats the "Creek" fixed, loads of WD-40 on the lower arm bushes, :thumbsup:

Kieran
05-06-2005, 11:40 PM
Well thats the "Creek" fixed, loads of WD-40 on the lower arm bushes, :thumbsup:

Errrr............ WD-40 - Petrol based compound on Rubber bushes? Erm.... isn't that not a terribly good thing? Wouldn't silicone lubricant be safer? :inquisiti

DUNLY
06-06-2005, 10:21 AM
Hmmmmm was ma mates idea and he's an aircraft mechanic,and if it crumbles and falls apart i shall let you know. and he shall certainly know about it :evil2:

maybe i shall look into this a bit more :inquisiti

DUNLY
06-06-2005, 10:23 AM
Do Halfords do silicone lubricant? think i'll go get some after work.