PDA

View Full Version : Possible security breach by the Googles Webaccelerator if full members use it

KiwiTT
06-05-2005, 01:31 AM
Quote from an article

"I'm having to pay a coder just to figure out how to prevent Google from caching all the webpages on our forums. Why is this a problem? Well first of all, it's a giant security hole, as private forums for mods and admins can now be viewed by anybody. Thanks Google, thank you very much for sharing our sensitive information with the entire Internet, without even giving warning or notice to any parties involved! Secondly, our forums offer a private messaging feature, where users can send messages to each other which can only be read by them. It's like AIM or ICQ, but through a webpage. If you're using Google's Web Accelerator - guess what? - now anybody can read your private messages! Cookies, logins, sensitive information, private messages - they're all stored on Google's servers now, and they're all available for anybody on the Internet to read."

see full article here (http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2858)

Jimbo
06-05-2005, 10:43 AM
That's quite frightening. :inquisiti

I'm rather dubious about those sort of things anyway, so there's no way I'd use it.

_simon_
06-05-2005, 11:39 AM
They must have some pretty serious hardware and bandwidth for that to work. I guess its just one more step on from the caching of web pages that they've been doing for some time.

AllBeItMine
06-05-2005, 08:50 PM
They must have some pretty serious hardware and bandwidth for that to work. I guess its just one more step on from the caching of web pages that they've been doing for some time.

Google have so much hardware and soo many PC's in their farms running their software and searching algorythms and databases that if one of the machines stops responding, they don't actually have the time of resource to go and turn it back on. it just sits there dead.

There are some very clever guys working for Google. very clever.