PDA

View Full Version : front speaker size?

Big Ian
07-05-2005, 03:37 PM
does anyone know the size of the front door speaker's?
also are sub-speaker's available in the same size?

ShadyNZer
07-05-2005, 03:50 PM
some dude in a previous post was saying his 6.5" speakers fit right in so probably that or 6"

Nick Mann
07-05-2005, 06:35 PM
6.5" (17cm?)

Why do you want to know about subs? You don't want to put a sub in a door!!

Big Ian
07-05-2005, 11:25 PM
6.5" (17cm?)

Why do you want to know about subs? You don't want to put a sub in a door!!

(just in the planning stages at the mo)
i'm thinking about an ICE build/yes it's just working out how to place (and where?) a set of mid's to work with the sub's :rolleyes4

Dan_G
07-05-2005, 11:32 PM
I have realised before even responding to this post that I actually cant remmeber the size of the speakers....

hmmm I did replace my front ones with sony compnents........ but can remmeber fit size they where min.......

well theres a pointless post for you....... :rolleyes4

ermm... yeah but no but ... anyway......the weathers has'nt been nice in aberdeen

/yes

right, wheres my bottle of beer....

sorry I was no help.......

Hic!

Big Ian
07-05-2005, 11:38 PM
right, wheres my bottle of beer....

sorry I was no help.......

Hic!

/help "BRP"...hic,, :thumbsup: ...your word's all make's sense to "hic"......me :rolleyes4

dickytim
08-05-2005, 07:57 AM
yes to 6.5", no to Sub of that size, the 6.5" woofer is a mid range or mid-bass speaker, basically a sub has to be a certain size to produce the frequencies required for bass at a higher level.

Also, bass is omnidirectional, which means you ears can't hear where it is coming from, what this means is, if you have a sub in your boot then you cant really tell that it is not part of the front sound stage, hence it still sounds natural. If however you have tweeters behind you or even mids it sound unnatural, basically there is no need for a sub to be in your doors (which are not rigid enough to stop all your bass being turned into vibration.

ShadyNZer
08-05-2005, 08:16 AM
has anyone ever connected speakers into the back doors??

Big Ian
08-05-2005, 08:18 AM
yes to 6.5", no to Sub of that size, the 6.5" woofer is a mid range or mid-bass speaker, basically a sub has to be a certain size to produce the frequencies required for bass at a higher level.

Also, bass is omnidirectional, which means you ears can't hear where it is coming from, what this means is, if you have a sub in your boot then you cant really tell that it is not part of the front sound stage, hence it still sounds natural. If however you have tweeters behind you or even mids it sound unnatural, basically there is no need for a sub to be in your doors (which are not rigid enough to stop all your bass being turned into vibration.

:happy: look's like you'v saved me some time :thumbsup:
sub and amp in the boot it is then /yes

Nick Mann
08-05-2005, 05:32 PM
has anyone ever connected speakers into the back doors??

Yes! Legnums come that way.

dickytim
09-05-2005, 01:15 AM
I havent touched the rear door speakers yet, I have a set of 3 way type X's coming for my front, then I will move my 2 ways to the rear.

p1_
09-05-2005, 01:37 AM
Does anyone have the tweeters installed on the front doors, if so what size are they in cm?

mine were biffed before I took ownership - so want to replace them.

dickytim
09-05-2005, 02:43 AM
damn you should have asked me I have mine in the garage

Bal
09-05-2005, 12:24 PM
tweeters are 1inch ones.

speakers at front are 6.5inch. if you want subs you could go for a 3 way setup as mentioned but then you'll have to start looking at a custom kickbuild housing.

as said subs are omni doodad so it dont matter. you could get a mid bass speaker for the front - does frequencies between that of a sub and your midrange speaker.

i'm peeved though, i just got my setup sounding sweet and i have to now rip it all out.

flipping arse ... all this cos i want a vr4.

eeknz
01-08-2005, 11:44 AM
I've had my VR4 for a month and changed the Japanese Sony had for an Alpine, which has showed me that the front speakers are pretty well dead. I want to change these but cant seem to get the door panel off. I got the 3 screws round the edge of the door, and the one in the handle, but the panel just pivots round the general handle area. On my old Lantis I had a similar problem with a door panel which I broke pulling it too hard to find a catch I missed. If all the edge plugs are out, and 4 screws are out, can anyonr tell me why I can't get the panel off, or should I just be more brutal with it?
Help....

dickytim
01-08-2005, 08:04 PM
Mine was very dificult to remove also, it was just a case of closing my eyes and yanking, I can't remember how many screws there was, have you removed the one inside the grip to pull closed the door? it is under a plastic cover which is really easy to break.

MR.VOODOO
02-08-2005, 11:03 AM
any thing like this you say
(still under construction )

MR.VOODOO
02-08-2005, 11:06 AM
i might get all technical in a minute .............................

eeknz
02-08-2005, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I found an illustrated guide further on in the forum. Theres a metal loop around the door handle that requires removal of the door handle to get round, but it's a pig to get out and made a bunch of polystyrene come off. Yay hot glue guns. Factory speaker cone was no longer attached to anything which would explain the noise. My 6"s aren't really big enough, but they'll do for the moment.

MR.VOODOO
02-08-2005, 11:19 AM
if you get a good 17cm mid and tweter kit ... it is susprising how much bass(midbass)
you can get out of it
you will need to a amp
i have orion mid & twt kit with ppi amps and using the qbass control set at 66htz you lift
the 17cm mid to make them sound like 8"subs

wcur008
02-08-2005, 10:20 PM
Yeah i cracked my drivers door pulling it off in a hurry. Putting in a good set of 6.5" components will set you right. I used infinity reference with a v-power amp and am impresed with the sould quality at $600 (NZ). If you stick with the factory sized tweeters and mid you'll end up with a good seal/better sound. Also no theiving *****rs can see your upgraded ice to steal it.

dickytim
03-08-2005, 06:54 AM
this is how I mounted my 1.1inch tweeters and type X components

Bal
03-08-2005, 03:15 PM
voodoo your kit looks sick ... im gonna start a FG install soon. should be nice.

Big Ian
03-08-2005, 03:33 PM
i might get all technical in a minute .............................

LOOKIN SWEET! monster build.......... :leer: i like it /yes

/Hmmm Me thinks you should do a full spread/post on your install when your ready /yes
or :inquisiti .....do you have your own site with pic's of both in and out your car?

MR.VOODOO
03-08-2005, 03:50 PM
if look carefully at the install the is a big gap infront of the amps
guess waht that is for ?????????????

p.s this is the kit i have just orderd

Big Ian
03-08-2005, 03:58 PM
if look carefully at the install the is a big gap infront of the amps
guess waht that is for ?????????????

p.s this is the kit i have just orderd

is the gap for a TV & a PS2?
is your car not kitted at the moment?

MR.VOODOO
03-08-2005, 04:29 PM
no kit on its way

it is for a 23" lcd tv and freeview box

Big Ian
03-08-2005, 04:40 PM
it is for a 23" lcd tv and freeview box

i watch Pimp my Ride to :smug: nice touch with the free view, not saw that added yet :thumbsup:
can't wait to see pic's of it all fitted :2thumbsup

MR.VOODOO
03-08-2005, 04:44 PM
i have done lots of freeview installs the are good

Bal
03-08-2005, 05:01 PM
where did you get the body kit from? i might have to come to you for some stuff. since iv decided not to get a vr4 all budget is going into pimping the gls.