PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a catch can

zentac
10-05-2005, 10:11 PM
To make sure people plumb the catch tank in correctly..... what you need is a catch tank with 3 outlets then split the pipe that runs between the two rocker covers and take each one to the catch tank and leave the 3rd outlet free to balance the air, then block off the back smalll air intake on the rocker cover that runs to the air intake.

Not a lot of people know that! (I didnt!)

SGHOM
10-05-2005, 10:26 PM
I want !! & for £21 I may buy !! /yes
but where the hell am I going to fit it ?? :embarasse :embarasse

enigma
11-05-2005, 06:44 AM
To make sure people plumb the catch tank in correctly..... what you need is a catch tank with 3 outlets then split the pipe that runs between the two rocker covers and take each one to the catch tank and leave the 3rd outlet free to balance the air, then block off the back smalll air intake on the rocker cover that runs to the air intake.

Not a lot of people know that! (I didnt!)

Why would you do that rather than taking the hose from the small outlet on the back bank to one outlet and returning the other one to the intake? It will remove the oil and it will still let you have the ability to relieve the pressure? :inquisiti

zentac
11-05-2005, 07:14 AM
Why would you do that rather than taking the hose from the small outlet on the back bank to one outlet and returning the other one to the intake? It will remove the oil and it will still let you have the ability to relieve the pressure? :inquisiti

Funnily enough thats what I said, but apparently that is the propper way to do it as it will equalise preasure better between the two rockers.

michaeli
13-05-2005, 07:57 AM
Are catch can on our cars as standard?

What do they do? I see from the previous thread it releases pressure, but what advantage does it have??

Thanks in advance,

Mike

enigma
13-05-2005, 08:05 AM
Catch cans are not standard!

Pressurised oil/air from the crankcase swirls around in the rocker covers, to remove this pressure and 'equalise' it our cars have an outlet on the rear rocker cover that returns this pressure to the inlet (just after the MAF). If you have a lot of pressure and hence a lot of oil, what you end up with is an oily inlet - not a huge problem unless you get lots of it. If you do you effectively reduce the octane rating of your fuel and put yourself at risk of detonation.

A catch can is plced in this line and it purpose is to separate the oil and air. The air can freely return to the inlet while the oil is caught in the catch can. You can then empty it and dispose of the oil in an environmentally friendly way ;)

michaeli
13-05-2005, 08:16 AM
OK... So where can I buy one??

Do they stay on all the time and you empty it every so often?

Thanks,

Mike