PDA

View Full Version : model report

GAZHUS
12-05-2005, 03:49 PM
Hi i have just joined the vr4 club. Got me self a 2002 legnum vr4 but having problems registering it as no model report available can anyone help. if so please email me on ghssn52@aol.com cheers

Brunty
12-05-2005, 04:39 PM
Hi GAZHUS and congratulations on your purchase - hope she proves to be a fun and willing mistress :thumbsup: I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to point you in the right direction, suggest you could do a lot worse that join ClubVR4 properly as there is a wealth of information in the members area.

It's not the best idea to display your full email on the internet - you run the risk of attracting loads of extra spam. I suggest you use.....

ghssn52 at aol dot com

Cheers and nice one

Steve

Nick Mann
12-05-2005, 04:53 PM
Congrats on the car. Do a site search on model report, it'll turn up some good info and may be some bad.

If you have more questions please ask, but I only know of one model report for a VR4. The owner of said report will be revealed with the site search.

We will help if we can! Especially if you join up! ;)

GAZHUS
12-11-2007, 10:56 PM
Still Stuck With Legnum. No One Got A Model Report. Can Any One Help

SGHOM
12-11-2007, 11:07 PM
Still Stuck With Legnum.

2 1/2 years on ?? :thinking: :speechles

miller
12-11-2007, 11:21 PM
Needs to be ten years or older to be registered without a model report i think, though saying that if there is a UK equivalent then i cant see what the problem is. It usually happens if there isnt an equivalent as a new model report can cost tens of thousands.
I know this as the 99GTO VR-4 still cant be imported and people are itching to get their hands on it.

Mike

miller
12-11-2007, 11:23 PM
On a different note, you could ship it to Ireland. They dont have the stringent SVA test over there. You could either flog it there or register it and drive it for only six months here at a time!!!!!

Mike

Kieran
12-11-2007, 11:31 PM
Still Stuck With Legnum. No One Got A Model Report. Can Any One Help

Unfortunately, the situation is no different. There is still no model report.

We do know that the VR-4 passes all tests except emissions, where it fails miserably. Where did you get your Legnum from, by the way?

As for what you can do.... Well, whilst I don't know if this is permissable within the rules of ESVA or not, It has been suggested that if one were to get the car remapped to run on UK fuel correctly, and also to upgrade the emissions gear (maybe an extra catalytic convertor, or better still the bigger cat as used on the later EVOS, the VII, VIII and IX), you would secure a pass. However, I am not sure if this would be permitted under ESVA rules.:thinking:

Good luck and let us know how you fare!

Nick Mann
13-11-2007, 11:00 AM
Take it to Keighly Trade Centre. They seem to be able to register VR4s that aren't ten years old.

Beastlee
13-11-2007, 01:08 PM
Take it to Keighly Trade Centre. They seem to be able to register VR4s that aren't ten years old.

/haz

TAR
13-11-2007, 08:29 PM
Maybe we could talk you into commissioning a model report. Then you could hire it out to all those people who want to import newer cars!:inquisiti

Beastlee
13-11-2007, 08:43 PM
Hehe, would have ben cheaper than having the car sat there for 2 years!

GAZHUS
16-11-2007, 11:05 PM
Tried Keightley Trade Centre? Wont Do It, Do You Know Him, Will You Be Able To Do It

Kieran
17-11-2007, 04:22 PM
Tried Keightley Trade Centre? Wont Do It, Do You Know Him, Will You Be Able To Do It

We don't know anyone at Keightley ourselves. I'm afraid it looks like you're on your own. It might be worth following my advice above, but I don't know if you can do this.

If you get stuck, you may want to consider breaking your car for spares. This way you'll recover some of the cash you have spent on the car.

Paul Beazer
19-11-2007, 02:52 PM
Sorry, but i think Nick was being rather tongue in cheek. They have sold facelift VR4s, but no one really knows how (legally, ahem) without the model report.

Robotnik123
27-11-2007, 02:35 AM
From the end of this year, it is looking like there will be no more 8G VR-4 used imports into NZ, because they won't pass the new emissions guidelines. You won't be able to bring in most used imports older than about 5 yrs because of this either. Quite sad really. I guess I already have my VR-4, but all used cars are set to become more expensive.

bradc
27-11-2007, 03:44 AM
parts will become more expensive too over time as people write them off and aren't allowed to bring any more in

Robotnik123
27-11-2007, 05:36 AM
parts will become more expensive too over time as people write them off and aren't allowed to bring any more in

That's a worry - Legnum parts are already quite expensive. I guess some of the bigger wreckers that specialize in Mitsubishis will import wrecks to be used for parts.

bernmc
27-11-2007, 04:17 PM
It might be worth following my advice above, but I don't know if you can do this.

You can do what you like to the car to get it through, but the resulting model report will then only apply to a car in that exact configuration. So any further imports being SVA'd on that model report will need to be modded to exactly the same state.

It's just not financially viable to do with a low volume import like the VR4. I can't remember exactly, but I think MIRA quoted me around £1600 pounds per emissions run (the correct price and details are in one of my threads somewhere on the forum). And every time it failed, you'd have to pay up again (and wait for a free slot on their machine - up to four weeks). It's not a case of shoving a sensor up the exhaust at idle - they run it on a rolling road (so you need a 4WD drive RR for the VR4 - not many about) and do many cleaver things with it.

So, GAZHUS, your options are:

Spend a lot of cash on making your car compliant and getting a model report (and trying to recoup some of the spent cash by hiring the report out)
Wait until 2012 when you'll be able to register without an SVA (but by then the rules will have changed /lol)
Break it up for spares
Clone it !!! (that's a joke by the way!:stop:)I don't know how you got the car - if you imported it yourself, you should have done a bit more research. If someone sold it to you, you need to kick them in the nadgers. Wildcards will give you a hand for a small quantity of FireWater and an ice lolly.

VR4_silver
19-12-2007, 01:09 AM
hi guys i have passed everything on the SVA test just need to lower the emission to get the cert, can any recommend ways in lowering the emissions on a 99 VR4 legnum
many thanks

Kieran
19-12-2007, 02:12 AM
Oh dear.

This is where the VR-4 falls on it's arse and one member (Senator on here) has spent more than a few beer tokens in a fruitless hunt for a solutuion.

If you PM him, he may fill you in on the what have yous.

The problem is that whilst it's fairly easy to use a piggyback fuel controller to make the car pass ESVA emissions at idle, The ESVA emissions test is a full 4WD rolling road test through the entire rev range - which is why it's so expensive and lengthy.

You can do what you like to the car to generate the model report, but all cars tested against it must be exactly the same spec. The powers that be select (at random) a certain number of vehicles tested, and subject them to an in-depth analysis - ie. pull them apart - to confirm this.

So - my advice to you is this:

If you can get a model report done - you'll be a very popular person and through renting the report to others you could make some cash.

To get the UK cars through emissions, Mitsubishi remapped them and they also used a bigger catalyst; if you look at the Cat from a V6 Sport, it's bigger than the VR-4 one. Also, Post 1999, Mitsubishi had to change the emissions gear again on the UK spec cars to comply with the (at the time) new EURO 2000 regs.... Post 2000 cars have FOUR lambda sensors, to allow for as prescise fuel control as possible. My local dealer (strictly off the record and therefore allegedly ;)) said that the post 2000 cars almost run on fresh air at idle compared to the older models!

I would say to stand any chance of passing you need to get the car remapped carefully so that it passes emissions testing on the rolling road - But be careful, take too much fuel out and you'll have bits of engine all over the shop - especially if the tests are done on boost at full throttle.

Also, I think you need to look at customising the exhaust to get a really big cat in there.... A VR-4 will pass an MOT afterwards so there's nothing to stop you reverting once testing is complete.

Unfortunately, I can't really be any more specific than that - no one really knows exactly what will be needed for these cars.... But if you DO crack the puzzle, for the love of god let us know as a lot of people want to hear the good news!!

Hope this helps!

Kieran

dogwagon
20-12-2007, 05:32 PM
i have done a bit of web trawling and come up with a company that will sva convert cars. I mailed them twice and got replies as follows:

( may be worth speaking to them as they seem to be on the ball!!)

Q
Hi
I see that you mention the Mitsu Legnum on your site!
Are you capable of getting a ( under 10 yrs old) Legnum VR4 2.5 TT 4WD (EC5W) thru the curent SVA test ... according to the VR4 forum, a Model Report is needed and apparently they struggle to get thru the Emissions part of the test!
Cheers

A
there is no model report for the vr4 the only way is if the car is a personal import (you owned the car abroad)
then it can be sva`d not esva.

Q2
Hi again
Thanx 4 the quick reply!

Does that mean that you CAN get the VR4 thru the sVA test, then??
I am enquiring because a guy on the VR4 forum has imported a 2001ish VR4, and is struggling to find a way of registering it as it has to pass the sVA test, and with no model report & high emissions he's stuffed!!
However there MUST be a way of doing it, as Keighley Trade Centre ( among others) regularly import younger-than-10-years-old VR4's and get them registered! In fact MY 1997 VR4 was SVA'd on import in 1999, so it must be possible somehow!!
if you have a way , let me know & i will pass on your details to the guy ( and any other forum members who could use your services!!!)
cheers again

A2
the only way is if you owned the car in the country were its come from. you can look on the vosa web site at all the reports that are ready it will show all reports produced.other than that you can use the lab test who will make a report just for that car,they are based in southampton next to sva uk.

Thanks Simon.
07775 500 595.
www.quickconversions.co.uk

Does that last reply mean that KTC et al buy & register the cars IN JAPAN, and then ship them to the uk, and then register them here ???????????

Kieran
20-12-2007, 05:40 PM
Does that last reply mean that KTC et al buy & register the cars IN JAPAN, and then ship them to the uk, and then register them here ???????????

That rule is well known. Normally it can't be exploited as the car has to be personally registered to the same person in both countries, and also the car has to have been owned for at least 6 months before export.

I guess they COULD be doing it this way, but it seems unlikely as it wouldn't take too long before the number of "Personal" imports looked a tad dodgy...

miller
20-12-2007, 08:23 PM
Simon at Quick conversions did all my de-limiting and clocks change over on my GTO. Top bloke.

Just worth a mention me thinks!

Mike

Nick Mann
20-12-2007, 10:18 PM
In fact MY 1997 VR4 was SVA'd on import in 1999, so it must be possible somehow!!

Yes - the ESVA was only introduced in 2004. If your car was imported before then, a normal SVA would suffice for any car, regardless of how young it was.