PDA

View Full Version : I can now make silly noises like Derek etc...

Smokinmasta2
12-05-2005, 09:46 PM
My new BOV........

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/Smokinmasta/DSCN1075a.jpg

Bobby bargain of £40 brand new off Flea bay.
Vents to Atmos and recirc (split between the 2) - and its fecking loud (already getting a little :embarasse ) but super in tip mode through town echoing off the shop windows!! I love BOV's and i'm like a big kid!!

Smokin...............

Nick Mann
12-05-2005, 10:01 PM
Could you get the hose in a more vunerable position! :rolleyes4

Spirit
12-05-2005, 10:09 PM

It does look very low.......a sleeping copper may damage that ?

Smokinmasta2
12-05-2005, 10:12 PM
Yeah i know, will have to shorten it this weekend - had to buy some new hose as the original was too short and kinked!!

Don't really have reset the ECU or anything do i???
Just that the MAS is not getting all the air back that it was expecting from before??
Just a nOOb question...........it was far easier on German Cars!!

Smokin.............

Nick Mann
12-05-2005, 10:15 PM
Just that the MAS is not getting all the air back that it was expecting from before??

I don't think that matters so much. The odd time when you do dump, the engine will be momentarily rich. Is that a big problem? I guess not really. Especially if you have a de-cat.

Kenneth
12-05-2005, 10:17 PM
Yeah i know, will have to shorten it this weekend - had to buy some new hose as the original was too short and kinked!!

Don't really have reset the ECU or anything do i???
Just a nOOb question...........it was far easier on German Cars!!

Smokin.............

Its only a problem at idle if your BOV is not set tight enough. If not tight enough, it will open at low rpm and you will stall.

Smokinmasta2
12-05-2005, 10:20 PM
It does look very low.......a sleeping copper may damage that ?
Not realy quite as low as it appears - taken off undertray which was really begining to p*ss me off with clips missing etc + plus it was/is easier to get at BOV and oil filter etc!!

Smokin..........

Smokinmasta2
12-05-2005, 10:26 PM
Its only a problem at idle if your BOV is not set tight enough. If not tight enough, it will open at low rpm and you will stall.

Yeah i quickly realised it needed more adjustment washers yesterday
Had 3 in which was dumping too much/easily.
So i bought 6 at lunchtime today - was quite funny in itself (laying under the car in shirt and tie beside the road, got strange looks! - but only a 3 min job to take apart and bung in some washer inside the body of the piston!!
Smokin.........

ShadyNZer
13-05-2005, 05:33 AM
the tubing is about as low as mine, thought i was scraping hard down my driveway coz of all the cars parked there and i split my tubing, doesnt work now even tho i fixed it, took to a place and they reckon the valve mightve seized up =(

Kenneth
13-05-2005, 07:26 AM
the tubing is about as low as mine, thought i was scraping hard down my driveway coz of all the cars parked there and i split my tubing, doesnt work now even tho i fixed it, took to a place and they reckon the valve mightve seized up =(

you might want to take it apart and give it a service... there some light machine oil should do the trick and make sure everything is moving like it should.

also check your tubing to make sure its all connected properly and there are no kinks and stuff...

Smokinmasta2
13-05-2005, 12:23 PM
Yeah m8 take it apart.
Having looked closely at mine, i found there is nothing to them!!
If it's a piston type then also make sure the piston is not scored/damaged etc.
As said, make sure the vac hose is not kinked as that is what opens the valve.

Smokin............

Kyoshu
15-05-2005, 09:47 PM

Yeah, I had an old BOV seize up on me also. I couldn't hear it venting and the boost gauge was showing a lot more load on the turbo at idle. When I took it apart, I found the valve was worn down and passing air. It might be the same issue your having. I think it was a combination of not lubing it enough and water damage.

I also had a Monza Type-R which was quite long and scraped a couple of times, but it's easy enough to get a bent samco hose to replace the OEM one that the BOV connects to, which get the BOV away from the ground.

Have now switched to a drag-r/SCi type and have the trumpet pointing to the rear of the car, so it doesn't drink so much water in winter. :)