PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler

bonsai boy
14-05-2005, 04:01 PM
Finally got around to putting it in - tight fit but I managed it!!

Need to make some brackets and pop in pipework then - job done!!

SGHOM
14-05-2005, 04:13 PM
as cool as a cool thing !! nice one Graham :thumbsup:
please tell ?................... how much & from where ?

PAUL
14-05-2005, 08:14 PM
That looks tasty :evil2: mate looking forward to blagging
a side-ways ride :thumbsup:

bernmc
14-05-2005, 11:11 PM
ye gods that's HUGE :o - does the bumper go back on???

bonsai boy
20-05-2005, 08:47 PM
yes bumper fits ok

Simon
20-05-2005, 11:01 PM
that looks :evil2: ...how big is the original intercooler in comparison.............

bonsai boy
20-05-2005, 11:48 PM
the new intercooler core size is
2 1/2 the std intercooler
so should see a big drop in temp
when i check data

golden1663
21-05-2005, 02:37 AM
can you tell me what size of the intercooler you using ?
is it hard to put it on?
cos i ready want one fit it like you ?
please

nick-f1
21-05-2005, 12:31 PM
Hi Graham that looks the Biz!! Lets hope it does the Biz too, keep us posted...... look forward to seeing it and you at the `Pod in June?

Cheers

Nick

bonsai boy
24-05-2005, 06:55 PM
golden 1663
i can surply all you need
intercooler, pipes, joiners,clips, mounting brackets
complete kit

£350 plus p&p

Simon
24-05-2005, 07:00 PM
stand back.......................

............wait for the rush...... :rolleyes4 /yes

enigma
24-05-2005, 07:08 PM
:thumbsup: Thats a good price!

What pipes does it include? ie which pipes have you replaced?

Need more pictures!!! :happy:

caishanvr4
24-05-2005, 10:23 PM
/yes Thats an excellent price B.B
/yes MORE PICTURES PLS

bonsai boy
24-05-2005, 10:44 PM
car is all back together now but did not take lots of pics

caishanvr4
24-05-2005, 11:02 PM
Hows it running, feel any difference in power delivery, temp ?

bonsai boy
24-05-2005, 11:10 PM
can feel lots more torque
will plug up laptop at weekend and give a good run

kevin ap motors
25-05-2005, 10:24 PM
that really sounds like a good price,i have been trying for ages to find one and i keep coming up with a big dont know.
how long would it take you to send one?

bonsai boy
25-05-2005, 10:35 PM
am thinking about 2 weeks
for del

Louis
28-05-2005, 04:33 PM
Hi,
I sent you a private message, cheers Louis

bonsai boy
28-05-2005, 11:47 PM
before outlet temp was 93.6
today outside temp 2deg warmer
outlet temp 23.2
this was after a 15min hard drive

i could just touch the inlet tank (very hot)
but outlet was stone cold

you could feel the heat lesson as you moved your hand from inlet to outlet
engine pulls strongly from low revs to high revs due to being less restricted

with the cooler and water running my engine thinks it december in the middle of summer :thumbsup:

Spirit
29-05-2005, 03:15 PM
I think you will be getting a few orders very soon mate :thumbsup: Can you get a group buy going ?

bonsai boy
29-05-2005, 05:09 PM
Depends on volume for any discount in the future. Currently a few units available.

Wodjno
29-05-2005, 05:18 PM
That looks the Mutz .. But more importantly is those temp figures you posted :rolleyes4 Thats an amazing difference , no wonder your feeling a difference in torque .. Like you say it be like driving in winter conditions all the time .. :thumbsup:

enigma
29-05-2005, 05:20 PM
Like you say it be like dring in winter conditions all the time .. :thumbsup:
But without the ice! :thumbsup:

enigma
29-05-2005, 05:22 PM
Still waiting for an answer about what pipework you are including? My intercooler came several weeks ago, but still waiting for my 12 2.5" 90 degree aluminium bends, 12 silicone joiners, and 3 reducers before I take my car apart!

Something tells me I wont be going anywhere in the next 2 weeks! Baby is far too gorgeous to leave alone! :smug:

bonsai boy
29-05-2005, 11:47 PM
have just changed inlet and outlet

cant see no point to change the rest
std pipes can handle 3 bar
and pipework flows well

only time i would change pipes is to surport a bigger turbo setup

bonsai boy
30-05-2005, 12:18 AM
what size intercooler did you go for then dave
and whats the flow rate ?

enigma
30-05-2005, 08:47 AM
The core is 600 x 300 x 75, not sure about the flow rate.

I plan on replacing the pipe from the y section at the left of the engine all the way down to the intercooler, and back up the other side all the way to the plastic inlet pipe. Thus getting rid of ALL of the nasty flexy collapsy rubber pipe.

I still cant determine if this is what you have changed or not!

EdmundVR4
30-05-2005, 03:13 PM
Has anyone tested the stock intercooler's inlet & outlet temperatures ?
It would be great to see what difference an upgraded intercooler would make.
Volunteers ?
Bonsai Boy, when you say[with the cooler and water running my engine thinks it december in the middle of summer] are you using water injection or intercooler water spray ?
Regards,
Edmund

michaeli
30-05-2005, 07:55 PM
I'll be the first to say I definately want one...

Can you PM me the details please?

Just a quick question to the more technical members...

If you should wait until the engine warms up before booting it to avoid damage, how come an intercooler (which obviously keeps your engine cooler) be good for your engine??

I am asuming (in lamends terms) that it cools the air hence more Oxygen and a bigger bang and helps the engine to operate at optimum temperature?!?!?

/help /yes

Nick Mann
30-05-2005, 08:10 PM
It doesn't cool the engine, but the air going in to the chamber. Colder air is more dense, so more oxygen to go with the fuel. The ecu realises more air is flowing in so adds a bit of fuel to go with it. Bigger bang! And hence the comment about the car thinking its winter.

Wodjno
30-05-2005, 08:44 PM
Right so let me get this straight .. If you lower the temperature of the air flowing into the inlet by a bigger intercooler , then the air is more dense with oxygen therefore the ECU adds more fuel .. :thumbsup:
BUT !! If you are already running high boost and you have got this set the limit so as not to get fuel cut.. As far as i can work out adding a larger intercooler and lowering the air temp is going to make the ECU try to add more fuel ,but that won't happen cos it doesn't have the mapping to do it .. So you must have to lower the ammount of boost your using to counteract this .. Or use a fuel cut defender or overide the stock ECU and remap the fuelling .. I think .. ??

ANYONE ?? /help

Spirit
30-05-2005, 09:38 PM
Definately on the right track there Glenn. It is very noticeable the difference in air temp changes when using a boost controller. I have 4 settings on mine - which go from 0.75bar to 1.0bar ....this time of year. In colder times I cannot use my 1.0bar setup as it just overboosts all the time. Turbo cars love cold air :thumbsup:

The one thing I always vowed not to get though was a FCD. I still want that safety feature of the ecu protecting the engine......ask Richielliott what can happen when you have one :embarasse

I'm pretty sure I will be ordering one of these off Graham.....again if I'm correct it should increase torque through the range and also allow me to achieve the same power as now but at lower boost levels ?

enigma
30-05-2005, 10:00 PM
The one thing I always vowed not to get though was a FCD. I still want that safety feature of the ecu protecting the engine......ask Richielliott what can happen when you have one :embarasse

Still dont think his FCD had anything to do with his mishap!

The map should be fine with a colder inlet temp, it all gets a bit complimicated, but it is metered BEFORE the intercooler.

Kenneth
30-05-2005, 10:13 PM
The fact that the air is colder is supposed to make it burn slower, and therfore you get less detonation.

The air flow meter SHOULD see the difference, if only because the turbos will be working a little more efficiently (less pressure drop across the intercooler)

If you make the air more dense in the piping after the intercooler, the air must loose some pressure, since the wastegates are sensitive to this pressure, they just keep the turbo spooling and more air gets pumped into the system.

Result: same performance with less boost = increased efficiency = safer.
as with all eficiency things, you probably get a fuel saving as well (for the same air-flow as before) though Its going to be pretty minor.... and who bought a VR-4 to be fuel economic? :rolleyes4

Sulli
30-05-2005, 10:44 PM
So how does this rate as a performance mod, cost and safety wise?
For me, I will modify my car if firstly it will not make it less reliable or more likely to blow up, and two, I get good increase in performance for my money.
Now £350 for a FMIC of double the size, which looks a snip to fit (correct me if i'm wrong), seems to be a must, alongside decat and decent exhaust, and upgraded brakes.
So is there any danger in fitting this, and how much difference will it make in on the road performance?

bonsai boy
30-05-2005, 10:53 PM
with new intercooler my boost has dropped slightly
turbos not haveing to work as hard

but will change that with remap on wensday

edmund vr4 i am useing water inj on boost pressure

but will be adding a mf2 control in near future

was at castle combe today with paul and got tons of good comments about intercooler today

michaeli
31-05-2005, 08:35 AM
Ok... So it's Good, Safe, Cheap and easy to fit...

So can we all have a show of hands of who wants one to arrange a group buy??

I'll Start /wave

Mike

Spirit
31-05-2005, 08:31 PM
Me too :thumbsup:

enigma
02-06-2005, 02:59 PM
My pipes and joiners have arrived :thumbsup:

Although I am going to try and not use the joiners in favour of cutting and welding to the right shape :smug:

enigma
02-06-2005, 03:01 PM
Now all I need to decide is whether I am going to front mount it, or side mount it, hell I think with the amount of pipe I have I could roof mount it! :rolleyes4

zentac
02-06-2005, 08:09 PM
think the pipes need some work !

caishanvr4
02-06-2005, 10:26 PM
roof mount :thinking2 now that would be something /yes

-LegnumVR4-
05-06-2005, 12:21 PM
Your got holes in ur bonnet Dave, handy to pop some pipes through there :rolleyes4

Smokinmasta2
05-06-2005, 09:55 PM
Bloody hell - where are all them pipes going to go???

Smokin.............