PDA

View Full Version : Buying a VR4

wilbert
15-05-2005, 10:09 AM
I am looking to import a 1998/1999 Galant VR4 from Japan towards the end of the year. I have heard bits about them not running too well on our crap UK fuel, will a remap sort this out or is there more work to be done on the engine to stop the engine knock from lower octane petrol. Who wlse out there in the Uk has imported a VR4 and have they had any problems??

koala
15-05-2005, 07:46 PM
I am looking to import a 1998/1999 Galant VR4 from Japan towards the end of the year. I have heard bits about them not running too well on our crap UK fuel, will a remap sort this out or is there more work to be done on the engine to stop the engine knock from lower octane petrol. Who wlse out there in the Uk has imported a VR4 and have they had any problems??

Optimax is your fuel!!

Also you might have problems registering the car over here and sva it. 1998 1999 I believe there are no model reports You ll be allright with pre 1997 cars although. I am sure someone knows more about on this and correct me If I am wrong.

Regards

Spirit
15-05-2005, 08:16 PM
Koala is right AFAIK about the model report.

The cars run fine on 97/98 ron fuel (do a search for peoples opinions regarding brands), and hopefully soon there will be Tesco 99 ron available everywhere. Should you have to put 95 ron in the tank in an emergency then the ECU will detect this and simply reduce the engines power (estimates are around a 70bhp drop) to protect the engine. Once you can refill the tank with 97/98 then you simply reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery for a minute or so.....and viola, full power is restored :thumbsup:

bernmc
15-05-2005, 11:28 PM
All VR4's are imports - just that some were imported officially.

Do a search for ' Model Report' and you'll get heaps of info from the site. There isn't one for the car you want to import, but there is a company interested in doing reports for VR4's, so they may help you.

chris g
16-05-2005, 09:07 AM
My car was imported by an agent for me and it was a 1999 car and no probs getting SVA, MoT etc

And it ran perfectly well on our fuel but preferred Optimax in UK and Shell 100 in Germany

Nick Mann
16-05-2005, 09:51 AM
My car was imported by an agent for me and it was a 1999 car and no probs getting SVA, MoT etc

But before model reports were a requirement? That is the stumbling block, and I would follow bernmc's advice on that.

Bal
16-05-2005, 11:19 AM
so how did he get it in if it there was no model report done.

Nick Mann
16-05-2005, 01:39 PM
Until a year or so ago, you didn't need a model report. So if it could pass the SVA, job done. But then they changed the rules.

Bal
16-05-2005, 02:37 PM
so now every car needs a respective model report done (if none has already been done).

man this importing of cars lark is confusing.

bernmc
16-05-2005, 09:02 PM
so now every car needs a respective model report done (if none has already been done).

man this importing of cars lark is confusing.

No- only if it's made after 31 Dec 1996. All this is in the post on model reports. And yes it is confusing - don't import without doing your research!