PDA

View Full Version : I'm comming to the UK.

Kenneth
16-05-2005, 02:39 AM
Am leaving NZ on the 30th July for aproximatly 1 month holidy in the UK.

As I have never left NZ before I am very excited to see what its like in another country.

I'm not sure exactly what dates I am going to be where, but do know that the first week is going to be in London

I am traveling with 2 friends, one whose brother is getting married. Because of this, that first week is free for me to just do whatever.

I would like recomendations on what to do to fill the time, and am also keen on getting to meet with some of you in the UK if at all possible.
As stated, the first week is definatly the best for me, but might be able to squeeze in around some other activities.

See you in August ;)

p1_
16-05-2005, 04:19 AM
You have to do London - see the sites, St Pauls, London Eye, shopping in Oxford St, experience the tubes at peak rush hour.

Dont forget to pack your warm clothes and waterproofs (not wetsuit) as it is summer there :smug:

Can you bring me back some Jaffa Cakes or Penguin Bars, or Worcester Sauce flavour wheat crunchies, you just cant get them here :embarasse :embarasse :embarasse

have fun

Brunty
16-05-2005, 03:14 PM
August is a great time to visit the UK - as a large proportion of the population have gone abroad for their holidays :thumbsup:

London must sees for me:

Natural History Museum - possibly the world's best proper museum?
The Science Museum - right next door.
The London Eye
The Tate Modern
See one of the many shows at one of the many great theatres

Check ahead to see if there any open air concerts in Hyde Park - usually tend to happen around that time of year.

Use one of the Thames water taxis/guided trips (it's great in the summer, jump on a boat, see London from the Thames, get off, go to a pub, get back on the boat.......ad infinitum. AFAIK they travel between Putney in the west and Greenwich in the east.

Outside of London (within an hour)

Leeds Castle in Kent
Brighton for the day & evening (I rate Brighton as probably the best nightlife and bar scene in the UK) - trains running to London throughout the night.

I too will highly recommend the tube during the rush-hour :thumbsup:

Enjoy

Steve

Brunty
16-05-2005, 03:18 PM
As your coming from the Southern Hemisphere you could join up with all the London based Kiwi's, Aussies and South Africans for an all-day (the day being Sunday) drinking marathon at The Church in Kings Cross.

I wouldn't ever dream of going, but my brother raves about it.

BraindG
16-05-2005, 04:20 PM
i think, this calls for a Mini meet.... if you were here one week earlier you could have come to J.A.E. ...

August 6th or 7th seems a good time to organise a meet..
what you guys say?

SGHOM
16-05-2005, 05:41 PM
i think, this calls for a Mini meet.... if you were here one week earlier you could have come to J.A.E. ...

what you guys say?
how's this sound ??

www.risingsuncarshow.co.uk

sunday 14th august ?? could be worth the trip ? let me know if anyone is interested, & i'll get the ball rolling. /yes /yes :thumbsup:

Nick Mann
16-05-2005, 07:01 PM

what you guys say?

Agree with the sentiment, but can't do the dates! Probably have to count me out.

Could possibly make Dereks idea, but it's a long way from London?

Kenneth
16-05-2005, 08:24 PM
lol

August 6 is always good for me (being my birthday and all)

I am not sure about later dates... I think the wedding we are going to the UK for is happening on the 13th... :rolleyes4

bernmc
16-05-2005, 08:48 PM
Am leaving NZ on the 30th July for aproximatly 1 month holidy in the UK.

Ayeeeee! I'll lock me doors!

psbarham
16-05-2005, 09:44 PM
Ayeeeee! I'll lock me doors!
sod your doors , its the left over sheep from the lethargic you should worry about :inquisiti

Kenneth
16-05-2005, 10:30 PM
sod your doors , its the left over sheep from the lethargic you should worry about :inquisiti
mmm... sheep

bernmc
16-05-2005, 10:59 PM
Like PSB says, better keep away from my house then - still finding the buggrs under the rug! MMMM sheepie sheepie sheeep.

Kenneth
04-07-2005, 09:21 PM
Got my passport and will be buying some pounds very soon. (today hopefully)

I expect to be running on a maximum budget of £400 per week.
Thanks for the ideas on what to look at, will compose a list and see what I can get to see.

If there is the opportunity, it would be nice to meet some of the UK Club VR-4 members :chugchug:

Spirit
04-07-2005, 09:28 PM
How about a Southern meet around the Swindon area again ? About the same distance for the Nottingham crew, Birmingham area and for me in Devon....all you need to do is get there from London Kenneth (maybe train or grab a lift ?)

ANTHONY
04-07-2005, 09:31 PM
what about a mini meet in hyde park london then a cruze down the kings road i know its along way for most of u guys but there are a few of us southeners and some never get to go to any meets. this way kenneth can get to meet most of us, also there are no conjestion charge at weekends and if we do it on a sunday alot of the parking is also free.(not certain about the parks) but i can find out

ANTHONY
04-07-2005, 09:33 PM
Pete...... just read your post. that might be a better and cheaper idear and i could pick him up on the way through

Kenneth
04-07-2005, 10:10 PM
ABEsport: A lift would be great! I'll probably have a friend with me if thats ok?

Pete: lol, so long as it's not some mission where I am likely to get lost, or I can get a ride then the location is fine with me.

SGHOM
04-07-2005, 10:56 PM
So I suppose you'll be wanting to see [ and try ] the loudest, fastest, wildest, most modded, blingiest VR4 on the planet then !! :smug: :smug: :thumbsup:

BraindG
04-07-2005, 11:09 PM
Sort out some times/dates, see if we can all meet up?

ANTHONY
04-07-2005, 11:17 PM
ABEsport: A lift would be great! I'll probably have a friend with me if thats ok?

Pete: lol, so long as it's not some mission where I am likely to get lost, or I can get a ride then the location is fine with me.

if we do go to swindon area i'm only about 1 1/2 hours drive a way

SGHOM
04-07-2005, 11:32 PM
[QUOTE=Kenneth]will be buying some pounds very soon. QUOTE]

pounds ?? dont you mean euro's ?? /Hmmm /pan /pan

Kenneth
04-07-2005, 11:41 PM
So I suppose you'll be wanting to see [ and try ] the loudest, fastest, wildest, most modded, blingiest VR4 on the planet then !! :smug: :smug: :thumbsup:
well... That would be an offer I could not refuse! /Steeringw

Sort out some times/dates, see if we can all meet up?
Yep, will do. I know I will be there up to the 6th/7th of august, but will be comming back some time later for the wedding. Will get those dates ASAP.

if we do go to swindon area i'm only about 1 1/2 hours drive a way
Ta. Will slip you some gas money if that ends up being the case.

Kenneth
04-07-2005, 11:43 PM
[QUOTE=Kenneth]will be buying some pounds very soon. QUOTE]

pounds ?? dont you mean euro's ?? /Hmmm /pan /pan

er, no... was going to get pounds as spending 1/2 our time in london. Can you use euros in London???

besides, exchange rate for pounds is good atm, but starting to drop... so pounds is a good idea.

Pescha
04-07-2005, 11:59 PM
Ok, I've been trying to squeeze into Ken's suitcases, but it's not working, any suggestions lol.....

Just being cheeky!!!

Pescha!

nick-f1
05-07-2005, 11:18 AM
er, no... was going to get pounds as spending 1/2 our time in london. Can you use euros in London???

besides, exchange rate for pounds is good atm, but starting to drop... so pounds is a good idea.

You can in theory but you will be as popular as a fart in a space suit for doing so!. /pan Stick to good old sterling and you won`t be ripped off as you will with that "euro trash" :thumbsup:

Kenneth
19-07-2005, 09:30 AM
Ok, dates...

I have a free schedule from the 1st to the 7th. if nessacary, might be able to do up ot the 12th.

Im just trying to get the address of where I am staying. Apparently its actually about 1 and a half hours out of London... :inquisiti

Will post address ASAP

enigma
19-07-2005, 09:48 AM
Im just trying to get the address of where I am staying. Apparently its actually about 1 and a half hours out of London... :inquisiti

Will post address ASAP

Could be about anywhere then!

BraindG
19-07-2005, 09:58 AM
cool, once we know where you are, we'll see what we can do!

Wouter
19-07-2005, 11:01 AM
Seeing as you are heading this way..... I have called in a few favours..... /haz

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a110/wverboom/Airport.jpg

Kenneth
20-07-2005, 02:48 AM
Ok... new information has come to light...

I will be staying in Addeyfield in Hertz... not that I have any idea where that is mind.

BraindG
20-07-2005, 10:04 AM
Hmm, thats just outside M25 ringroad...

Brunty
20-07-2005, 10:18 AM
... not that I have any idea where that is mind.

It's about and 90 minutes out of London :thumbsup:
I'm nothing if not predictable!

Never heard of Addeyfield - do you mean Adeyfield in Hemel Hempstead? as this is the closest I could find on Google Maps/Multimap.

Being north of London should make it easier for a meet, and proximity to the M1, A1(M), M40 and M25 should give you plenty of sightseeing opportunities.

See here (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Hemel+Hempstead&spn=0.796338,1.870834&hl=en)

Kenneth
27-07-2005, 01:22 AM
Looks like I will be in Scotland on the 7th and 8th of August.

Other than that, I am still free the first 6 days of August and can probably organise up to the 14th.

Given a time and place I would be keen on meeting as many UK members as possible :) :chugchug:

Polabear
27-07-2005, 10:55 AM
Looks like I will be in Scotland on the 7th and 8th of August.

Other than that, I am still free the first 6 days of August and can probably organise up to the 14th.

Given a time and place I would be keen on meeting as many UK members as possible :) :chugchug:

Kenneth, try and let me know who you are meeting up with and I will have the hose kits dispatched there, bearing in mind it takes at least 3 days for mail delivery in the uk....... :embarasse

Kenneth
27-07-2005, 11:05 AM
Kenneth, try and let me know who you are meeting up with and I will have the hose kits dispatched there, bearing in mind it takes at least 3 days for mail delivery in the uk....... :embarasse

I'll pm you the address that I am staying at tomorrow. Thanks Sean!