PDA

View Full Version : opinions please

strangebat
16-05-2005, 06:59 PM
had a go at sorting all the damage on my front bumper at the weekend, including fibreglassing over the tow hook protector to make it a nice smooth line.

The question is do I spend money to get it resrayed (and it be as badly chipped as it was before in a week)or do I use something like a black enamel paint on the botom lip only, which would be harder and a lot easier to touch up. :inquisiti

I think with a dark car i might get away with it especailly if I follow the line that the primer is on know.

I really don't know if it will look daft or not!!! /help

SGHOM
16-05-2005, 07:17 PM
Shultz !! that's what you need. /yes
It's a rubberized spray that protects from stonechips, & you can just spray over it with your choice of colour !! most car spares shops stock it, if not, any decent paint supplier.

Nick Mann
16-05-2005, 07:51 PM
Go for black. I'm looking for a Super VR-4 picture, but failing to find one!

strangebat
16-05-2005, 08:01 PM
The super vr4 is what I had in mind, that shultz sounds like what I need cheers Derek :thumbsup:

ritch_w
16-05-2005, 10:01 PM
sounds like a question for marcus :thumbsup:

if its the same as my old v6 sport - indigo blue - it had a white primer base coat so really showed up badly and looked sh1t when chipped......

so heres a question; would a dark or even black primer help make stone chips less noticable??? :inquisiti

strangebat
16-05-2005, 10:39 PM
I'm not so much concerned with it being noticable when chipped but easily repaired ie not respraying the whole bumper every six months :embarasse

RED
17-05-2005, 12:08 AM
Marcus is otherwise engaged building a touring car in the dining room :rolleyes4 so for what it's worth here's my two penneth

I would go with Derek and stone chip it then paint it the same colour as the car because as Ritch says chips on black will show up much worse. The other alternative is to get it done properly and then cover the bumper with an adhesive film that can be removed and reapplied when needed/knackered

Hope this helps Yan /yes

Smokinmasta2
19-05-2005, 03:23 PM
had a go at sorting all the damage on my front bumper at the weekend, including fibreglassing over the tow hook protector to make it a nice smooth line.

The question is do I spend money to get it resrayed (and it be as badly chipped as it was before in a week)or do I use something like a black enamel paint on the botom lip only, which would be harder and a lot easier to touch up. :inquisiti

I think with a dark car i might get away with it especailly if I follow the line that the primer is on know.

I really don't know if it will look daft or not!!! /help

This is exactly what i'm going to with mine!!
I'm going to prep mine with a flexible anti stone chip paint then a strong matt black with superhard clearcoat on the top, a little machine polish to cut back..........
Well i think it will OK - certainly cheaper than goin to a bodyshop and spending £100 +........

Smokin........

bernmc
19-05-2005, 03:49 PM
certainly cheaper than goin to a bodyshop and spending £100 +........
You are denying Red & Rally205 their bread & butter, you bad boys! How will they be able to afford all those pretty bits on ther many VR4's now eh? ;)

Smokinmasta2
19-05-2005, 06:28 PM
Have to ask then on sat how much they would charge to tidy me front end up then!!!

Smokin...........

RED
19-05-2005, 09:53 PM
You are denying Red & Rally205 their bread & butter, you bad boys! How will they be able to afford all those pretty bits on ther many VR4's now eh? ;)

Prostitution :rolleyes4

psbarham
19-05-2005, 10:02 PM
Prostitution :rolleyes4
you or marcus :inquisiti ?????

RED
19-05-2005, 10:22 PM
you or marcus :inquisiti ?????

I can't put want I want to say :rolleyes4 I'll get banned /help

Kenneth
19-05-2005, 10:27 PM
I was going to write something quite amusing (at least I thought so) about man-whoring...

However, this is starting to be a thread hijack... hint hint :rolleyes4

westy
19-05-2005, 11:04 PM
err! back to the point,need to rub it down with 240 wet and dry,spray with aerosol stoneguard and leave for 24 hours.prime with dark primer and let dry.you can buy a aerosol in any colour to match. just spray and laquer.no chips and no black bodge :thumbsup:

Kenneth
19-05-2005, 11:20 PM
You can also apply a clear plastic film. Product I am thinking of is called scuff proof. used it a bit on motrobike plastics to stop stone chipping and rubbing the paint off the gas tank.

It works well and if you take some care applying it you cant tell its on unless you look real close.

am thinking about putting some on my front spoiler