PDA

View Full Version : Bluddy HUGE brembo's

bernmc
17-05-2005, 09:14 AM
Well, here they are: brand spanking new humungous black brembo calipers complete with new pads. Bought off the bay of fleas because they were too cheap to miss, even if I have to resell them...

It's hard to appreciate just how big these things are in photo's, so I've included a £20 note for reference size (I have these lying about all over the place, and also use them to wipe my bum wot wot wot).

Dimensions are:
Mounting holes 138mm - soooo close!
Width at widest pt - 156mm
Length - 400mm :o
Distance between pads - 30mm

Be interested to know how this compares to the evo stuff...?

I'd intended to go with nationals and ferodo's after Dereks hub saga, but these popped up, and I couldn't resist! Must go and hide them in the garage now or the missus will :shout: if she discovers them!

Sulli
17-05-2005, 10:43 AM
They look new /yes
How much? And what car are they for? Suppose you are looking to get some stuff made up so they fit to your hubs?
Oh and won't you need some bigger wheels? I hope your missus doesn't read this ;)

bernmc
17-05-2005, 11:14 AM
They look new /yes
How much? And what car are they for? Suppose you are looking to get some stuff made up so they fit to your hubs?
Oh and won't you need some bigger wheels? I hope your missus doesn't read this ;)
They are new. Never fitted etc etc. Fresh out the box. Originally bought by the bloke to upgrade his Range Rover, but he has one of those 'free servicing & parts' extended warranty's for three years, so he gets discs and pads for nothing until then. Fitting these would have voided the warranty, so he just sold them on.

TBH, I just stuck in a bid never expecting to win (and quietly hoping I wouldn't because I can't afford it!), and came home to a 'you have won the following' email.

Unfortunately I have many Slow Men Working on my drive atm, so I can't furtle under the car. I'll get a wheel off as soon as I can and see how close the fittings are to the standard hub carriers - can't be out by much - 135 vs 138mm...?

If it looks like crazy amounts of work, I won't bother.

bernmc
17-05-2005, 11:17 AM
Some useful brembo info:

The template below will help you determine if your wheels will clear a Brembo big brake system. Next to each Brembo kit description is a set of three measurements labeled A, B, and C. These are used on the correspondingly labeled locations of the template. Brembo's official recommendation is that you allow 3mm of clearance between the caliper and the back of the spoke or the barrel of the wheel.

1. With a straight edge, measure from the middle of the wheel center-bore out to the B radius. This is the location of the bottom of the caliper.
2. Measure down from the straight edge to the back of the wheel spoke to make sure this distance is greater than the kit's A dimension.
3. Repeat these two steps for caliper clearance all the way to the top of the caliper, indicated by the C radius. If your wheel's spokes have a complex design, you may wish to take additional measurements between the B and C distances from the hub.

Rally205
18-05-2005, 01:21 PM
Brembo's official recommendation is that you allow 3mm of clearance between the caliper and the back of the spoke or the barrel of the wheel.

Bugger! Better take mine off then. :bigcry:

bernmc
18-05-2005, 06:15 PM
Thanks to derek for the following info: Comparison with the std Evo brembos:

300mm long x 75mm wide x 125mm deep

So considering how tight the evo brembos are in most wheels, I'm going to have a problem getting mine to squeeze under the wheels - not necassirily from a length point of view, but mine are 30mm 'deeper' - 15mm on each side. Depends on how much I can reduce the disc offset I suppose...

SGHOM
18-05-2005, 06:30 PM
I take it you've seen these Bern ??
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23013&item=7974755880&rd=1&tc=photo
and these ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23013&item=7975270633&rd=1&tc=photo

bernmc
18-05-2005, 09:48 PM
I take it you've seen these Bern ??
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23013&item=7974755880&rd=1&tc=photo
and these ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23013&item=7975270633&rd=1&tc=photo
You just want me to buy those piggin' hubs from you, Derek! I'd probably have had them if it weren't for the ABS sensor problem /grr

bernmc
19-05-2005, 12:00 PM
Well, in an attempt to avoid doing anything useful, I went and pottered around with the car again today.

1st nice surprise - I have bilstein shocks! Coolness.
1st unpleasant surprise - my offside front is wearing uneavenly -too much toe-in :sad3:. Jap crap tyres, so I donit care too much. Just means an expensive alignment when I next visit Xtreme :greedy:

Pic of the caliper sitting (the wrong way round) in my 16inch wheel :laugh: - might need to hit it with the hammer a bit eh?

The mounting holes are very close - I'd need to elongate the hub carriers holes by a couple of mm each side, but I suppose the carriers should come off to do it properly. Not sure if I can be 4rsed!

More of a problem is the thickness of the mountings on the calipers themselves - the brembos are about 6mm thicker than the standards, which will effectively push the disc out another 6mm, unless I have the extra machined off. I think I'm suddenly going to be very limited in wheel choice, and I can't see the point in saving a bit on calipers to have to spend it on dirty great alloys...

enigma
19-05-2005, 12:14 PM
They are never ever going to fit!

I am not sure I would want to be elongating holes on a part of my car that has a directly proportional relationship to my lifespan!

Kenneth
19-05-2005, 08:49 PM
They are never ever going to fit!

I am not sure I would want to be elongating holes on a part of my car that has a directly proportional relationship to my lifespan!

Amen

Jimbo
19-05-2005, 11:05 PM
Flippin 'eck Bern, they're MONSTERS!

I know you were bitter and twisted at not getting my AP's /lol , but seriously!! What's going to happen when you decide to upgrade the engine??! I can tell you now mate, the Rolls Royce Merlin WILL NOT FIT ! :thumbsup:

Brunty
20-05-2005, 12:12 AM
Wow they look big sat on the wheel.

I'm not familiar with the use of a £20 note as a measurement device - maybe you could use something I'm more familiar with next time?

bernmc
20-05-2005, 06:45 AM
:greedy::greedy: ooooo 50 quid..... didn't think they existed :inquisiti

Jimbo: Yeah but no but yeah but you're just Jealous ;)

Anyway, starting to look more trouble than they're worth... and expensive which defeats the whole object. Should be toddling down to PSB's place this w/end for another squiz and some final decisions.

Brunty
24-05-2005, 07:23 PM
:greedy::greedy: ooooo 50 quid..... didn't think they existed :inquisiti

Mate, I can email you a couple if you want!

:thinking2

psbarham
24-05-2005, 07:49 PM
Mate, I can email you a couple if you want!

:thinking2
i didn't rhink they existed either , if you want you can e-mail me a couple straight into my paypal account :thumbsup:

Brunty
24-05-2005, 07:52 PM
Sorry can only afford to do hotmail :thumbsup:

psbarham
24-05-2005, 08:29 PM
Sorry can only afford to do hotmail :thumbsup:
you tried mate thats all i can ask , not to worry , i might have some better luck next time

bernmc
13-06-2005, 09:35 AM
Too much like hard work in the end, so now sold for a tidy profit. There's a big market for these things - you won't believe how much mail I had about them. A business opportunity going begging...?