PDA

View Full Version : What's so good about NZ?

Brunty
20-05-2005, 12:43 AM
Hi guys.

I've had a pretty $h!tty day today (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8891) and during the course of it two people have said that
...if we had kids...
...if we had the money.... they would move to NZ.

I've heard many say it before, including a few on this forum, but what are the true pros and cons of living in NZ?

I like my VR4s, my skiing, rugby and wine so the availability and quality of those I'm aware of. But what else is great about NZ and likewise what isn't so great.

Be interested to hear your opinions.

Cheers

Steve

i3ooyah
20-05-2005, 12:48 AM
boooootiful women

Brunty
20-05-2005, 01:02 AM
Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Pics always help <hint> I must admit that the girls I've met from NZ have had something about them - but are they beautiful like Argentinan women (ie my idea of perfect, but you wonder if all the girls in your neighbourhood were similar flawless, slim, brunette, olive skinned women; whether the novelty would wear off?*)?

The NZ girls I've met have all been short, slim, brunettes with an outdoors appeal about them.

* the appeal wouldn't wear off but you know what I mean - lack of variety?

Brunty
20-05-2005, 01:09 AM
Oh yeah - excuse my naivety.

err...not with women but with all things NZ (my experience is a limited to meeting a few Kiwis, photos of the awesome scenery, Billy Connelly's NZ tour and a better sporting record in rugby (RFU/RLF), cricket and more recently football than we hold against the Aussies. I also know you're crash hot when it comes to sailing.

Ta

Steve

Pete M
20-05-2005, 02:30 AM
OK, well I'm NZ born, but lived in the UK from '97 to '02. I loved it there and would love to be rich enough to spend summers in NZ and UK.
But... NZ does have a 12 month lifestyle. In the UK, from about November to February, it was cold and dark and not very nice. We're not so far from the equator here, so have about two hours more daylight a day even in the middle of winter. Almost everything runs the whole year round. Here in Christchurch, half way down the East coast of the South Island, we have easy access to: Fishing, in the sea, on rivers, coarse fishing, fly fishing etc. Skiing, there are about six different ski areas within a day's drive, more if you've got a bit longer. Hunting, for deer, goats, pigs etc, is all possible if that's what you're into. Drinking wine, there are several vineyards close to Christchurch, and lots more in the South Island. We have a number of places that grow olives, which tells a bit about the climate.
Life here is just a bit more laid back and low pressure than in the UK. It's nowhere as crowded (I lived near Derby), as we only have about 4 million people, and most of them are clustered around Auckland, at the top of the North Island, which is about 600 miles away. I won't say there is no crime here, because that happens all over the world, but it's not something that most of us lose any sleep over, as it doesn't really affect your lifestyle too much. The cost of cars is probably cheaper than in the UK, so you could get a VR-4 for about NZD 15K or so, which is less than UKP 6K. Fuel costs are much lower, and there is no compulsory insurance. Road tax is about NZD200 per year, but MOTs are six-monthly and cost about NZD35.
There are all types of cool roads to drive your VR-4 on here, and once you get off the main roads, there aren't too many traffic police around. There is a big clampdown on "boy racers" here, as there are no restrictions on what cars young people can drive or buy, and a 16 year old behind the wheel of a high powered car is a recipe for problems. The police do have the right to impound vehicles, and do so when necessary.
There is a shortage of technically qualified people, as many of us go to Australia or further afield in search of better money or prospects. House prices around Christchurch start at around UKP70K, and that would be a detached house with decent garden. We don't (generally) have terraces, and semis are also less common. My son has a house that has a quarter acre section, you can play football in the back garden.
It's certainly worth booking a holiday over here to check it out in person, to see whether it appeals to you.

KiwiTT
20-05-2005, 03:10 AM
Well I think I can comment.

4 Years in Holland, 13 Years in New Zealand, 4 Years in Australia, 3 years in Holland, 18 Years in New Zealand.

NZ is the best country out of the three above.

Weather is OK and mild (can be quite wet)
Work is plentiful and well paid (if trained)
Lifestyle is relaxed and comfortable (if you control your spending)

And most important of all "VR-4" running costs are low.

NevGroom
20-05-2005, 08:46 AM
You mentioned the ones that alone would attract me - Rugby & wine. Worked in Auckland for 6 months back in '98 - Didn't get to the South Island (I have an excuse to go back and will!), but what I saw of the North was simply awesome - Great scenery, fantastic people, empty roads, Volcanoes, bubbling mud by the pavement, enormous (refrigerated) bottle stores (sanctuary from the Summer humidity), sailing, sea fishing, extreme sports. The list is endless.

I aim to spend my (early) retirement mussel farming in the Bay of Islands, ah bliss!

Brunty
20-05-2005, 04:48 PM
It's certainly worth booking a holiday over here to check it out in person, to see whether it appeals to you.

Oh I will - for winter (yours) in either 2006 or 2007, and I'll make a decent trip of it (who knows by then I might even have decided to bring my immigration papers :thumbsup: )

enigma
20-05-2005, 04:55 PM
Go. its awesome. :thumbsup:

Where else in the world can you do

THIS! (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.akers/nz_videos.htm)

maria
20-05-2005, 04:55 PM
We have loads of friends, in NZ Christchurch, Timaru, Greymouth, just to name a few, our intention is to move there in a few years, from what we are told the pace of life is so relaxed houses are so much cheaper, we have been looking on line.

Our friends like us are big motor sports fans they go out to the racing strip take their picnick hampers and spend the night there for about $12 NZD £4.00 here, from a family point of view I think there is more opportunities to do family things together, how much would we pay here to go drag racing etc, with a family it's not possible.