PDA

View Full Version : tyre exploding @ 80 mph is not funny !!

SGHOM
22-05-2005, 05:37 PM
just pulled on to the M1, nailed it, & passed a lorry at about 80 mph when I thoght I was hit by a bit of side wind ??? err....... these cars dont sffer from that ?? /help
before I knew it........... the rear end of the car suddenly shook violently, & the car veered across the carriage way, with all my AYC dash lights lit up !! /help
my 1 st thought was that something had broken on the rear, but I managed to get the car quickly & safely on the the hard shoulder.
my left rear had a puncture ! /yes DOH !! I rang nick to tell him what had happened........ dunno why ?? I was still shaking a bit I think !! :embarasse anyway, got the wheel off, with a little help from another stranded motorist [ thanks mate .. for lending me you wheel brace !! :rolleyes4 :rolleyes4 ].. I was a bit gobsmacked when I saw the tyre !!
got the spacesaver on, & drove the last 76 miles at snails pace !! :embarasse
how the tyre ended up like this I dont know !! :embarasse :embarasse

Nick VR4
22-05-2005, 05:43 PM
Blimey that is bad

Glad you made it home safely

Stella cans in the background :thumbsup:

Spirit
22-05-2005, 05:43 PM
OMG mate ! Thank god you are okay and it was nothing more sinister.

That would have shaken any of us up for sure.

Like the cans of beer in the boot......nice touch lol :thumbsup:

SGHOM
22-05-2005, 05:45 PM
Like the cans of beer in the boot......nice touch lol :thumbsup:
present from Mr & Mrs Scott !! :thumbsup:

nobbymogs
22-05-2005, 05:51 PM
funny you should say that this is what happened to me

i was comeing home from work and the car started to wobble next thing my tyre come off the rim and passed me

i had to phone 999 to get the feds out as i could not get near the car as the traffic was scimming my ••••

the best bit is that the tyre has done less that a thousand miles

ive done some mad things in my time on the road and laughed after but about 10 mins b4 i was going a little fast shall i say

when i contacted the tyre company they said id run it flat so i had to buy another 1

glad your safe mate

Nobby

HJM
22-05-2005, 05:55 PM
Crikey Derek - glad you're ok mate - that must have been scarey :rolleyes4

BraindG
22-05-2005, 05:56 PM
fooking hell....
wow, im glad your ok, and that nothing more serious happened!

Im so glad your ok!

Nick Mann
22-05-2005, 06:19 PM
Like I said on the phone, glad you're okay! I think you may have been lucky - if that had happened at the braking point for quarry there may have been a nastier outcome.

I didn't think until I was halfway home, but it suddenly occurred to me that I didn't know if your spacesaver would fit over the brembos! Glad it did - may be good for others to know that too.

caishanvr4
22-05-2005, 06:29 PM
Good heavens, i think that a tyre blow out has to be every drivers nightmare especially when your doing anything over 20mph. glad no harm came to you or your car. Do you think the ayc helped or just down to controlled driving m8.

SGHOM
22-05-2005, 06:33 PM
shaken... but not stirred !! :embarasse
I think in most other cars, without the aid of AYC, ASC etc, the drivers would have had BIG problems !! /yes I was on full throttle, & accelerating hard when it let go.
I did have to fight with the steering to keep it on the black stuff, & fortunately there was nothing on the inside of me, i'd just passed the lorry.
Thanks to my new brakes, I killed the speed pretty quick, & got it off the motorway, but it was one of those butt clenching moments !! /yes /help :embarasse :embarasse

Jimbo
22-05-2005, 06:45 PM
Flippin 'eck! Echo the sentiments above and glad you got away with it, I'm not surprised you were shaking!

I once had to veer across three lanes of motorway at 80mph when a truck's tyre burst in front of me (sending chunks of rubber in my general direction!), but I bet that's nothing compared to it being your car.

With what Nick's said about the spacesaver and big brakes, I best check mine - I've never even thought about it before!!

Anyway, glad you're ok mate. /yes

caishanvr4
22-05-2005, 06:49 PM
Unclench them cheeks,put your feet up and sink a couple beers :thumbsup:
Take a hammer and chisel to remove those skidmarks and i dont mean the ones in the road /yes

Zeke
22-05-2005, 07:37 PM
That sounds scary as hell at those speeds. Glad you made it ok.
The ultimate reason blow outs occur is due to low pressure tires because of their inability to dissipate heat at higher speeds, this might be under inflation, or slow loss of pressure due to some previous impact damage..
So keep those pressures up (i use 38-42 for 17's) and check sidewalls for eggs often!

Bal
22-05-2005, 09:12 PM
when i had my clio same thing happened to me when driving from ipswich to london.

I had just had the trye changed as well. i took it back to the guy and he swapped it out .... 20 mins later fcuking happened again.

i was not impressed.

RED
22-05-2005, 09:37 PM
Bloody hell Derek - good job that didn't go round the track - glad that you are Ok if not a little James Bond (shaken not stirred!) Nice touch with the beer - I thought it was only wheels and tyres you kept in the rear :rolleyes4

I don't think that the AYC had owt to do with it - it was obviously superior driving capablities :smug: /yes

Physician
23-05-2005, 12:18 AM
Sheesh Derek - that's a bad one. Old tyres, new tyres??? I'd be asking a few tyre places what they think happened because there ARE tell tale signs that an expert can 'read' and give an opinion.

I would also get the other three checked out if thay are from the same purchase/batch.

Lucky it wasn't a front ..........

Anyway, very pleased you survived - the consequences could have been so much worse if cars/lorries were all around you.

freaksnzl
23-05-2005, 12:20 AM
s*#t glad that nothing bad happened, tyre blowing out at about 130 kph is not a good thing :end: must had luck on your side.

Chad
25-05-2005, 07:17 PM
That's some scary sh*t man! :shocked: I had the prop shaft disconnect itself from the transfer box at nearly double the speed limit a couple of years ago in my E84A VR4 :joker: ! I still have nightmares about it now!! (Not as much as the poor bloke in the RS turbo trying to avoid large lumps of aluminium bouncing down the road behind me!! Oops! :embarasse )

kitefighter
15-07-2005, 04:31 AM
I also had a tyre explode late December 04. Happened whilst I was chasing a new SL500. I can't remember the speed but I remember doing around 100 last time I looked. Like you, at first I didn't realise but a split second later, I knew and tried to steer the car to to halt and layby. It seemed to take ages and my whole life flashed before me. I know you're not supposed to hit the brakes but I did and the car veered across the two lanes but I was impressed with the traction of the 4WD system. Anyway, cutting a long story short, it took two months to source the parts and get the car back on the road because the steel of the tyre stripped off and shredded the drivers wing and some components.

My car was running Japanese spec Yokahamas at the time of the blow out speed rated to 130. I've now replaced all with Bridgestone Potenzas speed rated to 149mph

Wouter
15-07-2005, 07:04 AM
OMG!

Glad you're ok :-)

d3x
15-07-2005, 11:06 AM
note to self, keep a spare pair of undies in car incase of high speed blow out..

glad you made it ok AND kept your car intact! I reckon houdini would have been proud of that one!

Jimbo
15-07-2005, 06:09 PM
Quite apt this thread's been resurected as I've had "a bit of a bother" this afternoon.

I think it can be best said in pictures, once I've had a few stiff drinks.....

HJM
15-07-2005, 06:17 PM
Jeez - what's happened Jimbo ?

Hope you and your car are ok :thumbsup:

The Vee
15-07-2005, 11:16 PM
Don't like the sound of this Jimbo. Is everything ok?

Spirit
15-07-2005, 11:19 PM
Don't like the sound of this Jimbo. Is everything ok?

Ditto !

Just read this.......what's up Jimbo ???

Dom B
06-05-2012, 01:44 PM
I wouldn't worry about the brembo fitting you just take a rear and swap to the front and spacesaver the rear if a front pops.

With the load and incredible torque vectors our cars are capable of I would never use anything less than a 91 W rated tyre. The forces the tyres undergo with 4wd when hammering it are immense compared to normal cars.

Other note. I used to use Goodyear eagle F1 tyres, not cheap but at the time regarded as one of the best. I bought some from a large name online tyre seller and fitted at a local garage. The car never felt good the ayc lights used to come on round sweepers when not pushing it. The tyre never lost its centre moulding but 2000 miles later the edges were knackered. looking at the profile of the tyre the shape was not flat across the tread but high at both edges and pulled in at the centre. The tyre on the other side was fine. I changed the set and the tyre guy put them on top of each other and said the right one looked like a 40 profile tyre despite being marked up as 50 and it certainly was not the same size as the other side. The wall listed a different list of belting layers and material on each tyre. The tyre guy said the odd one was a chinese counterfit!!!! It looked like a Goodyear and was was a direct copy but not a real one.

I gave up on Goodyears now the supply was infected by china and went to Toyo Proxxes T1Rs instead and never looked back. Hopefully china won't copy them with crap fakes any time soon!

WOODY72
06-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Wow Dom, sounds like you went through a bad experience with that chinky tyre. In defence of F1's as a retired tyre tech, i used F1's on my 200sx for ten years without any problems at all, and i drive real hard. Have been using them on my VR4 for 18 months now without any probs at all, and i can honestly say i would not entertain anything else. Most of the leading brand tyres i have tried have very similar levels of grip in the dry, but in the wet it's a different story, F1's being far better than anything else. But each to their own. If you are happy with what you are using, then stick to it. Nothing is worse than buying a new set and being unhappy till they wear out.

Wobble
06-05-2012, 04:53 PM
7 years and now you reply hmmmm

kiteman
06-05-2012, 04:58 PM
After reading all the post's regarding SGHOM's blowout experience, I just clicked this thread started back in may 2005.
Then a few months later some guy called Jimbo had a bit of bother and lots of concern was expressed, then nothing.
Not as much as a hint or rumour of what happened to him.

Dom B
06-05-2012, 08:59 PM
Oh don't get me wrong, I love Goodyear F1s, used to use them on all my cars, I just can't be sure I won't get a fake one so I sadly stay clear of them now.

WOODY72
06-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Just a freak i expect Dom. In all my years being involved with tyres, i've never seen one.

MarkSanne
07-05-2012, 02:27 PM
I've finally tried out a new set of tyres and went from Toyo T1R's to Goodyear Eagle F1's. They feel good. One thing that bugs me: isn't there a mark that indicates the side/rotation? I think all 4 tyres are put on the same way by the tyre fitter...

Humpty's Revenge
07-05-2012, 03:39 PM
Mark there should be either a very vague arrow that just looks like part of the pattern or the word outside?

MarkSanne
07-05-2012, 03:43 PM
I've searched and searched but couldn't find anything on these Eagle tyres?!

kiteman
07-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Mark I've just checked an eagle Fi assymetrical and it has the words "side facing outwards" on the side wall.
It is 180 degrees from the letter G in the word goodyear.

WOODY72
07-05-2012, 05:05 PM
They are assymetrical tyres (same side facing outwards) not directional.