PDA

View Full Version : Mad Mod

colVR4
24-05-2005, 09:12 AM
In an attempt to improve the air flow to the new filter I have added I went shopping....to Homebase!! Got myself some of that flexible, extending aluminium hose and an adapter for the end and tried to stick it in the car to feed more air to the filter.

A bit of squishing of the tube later and I had wedged it in place so that it fed air from the bottom of the front spoiler, just behind the grill directly to the air filter, between the auto box and the back of the radiator (there is a gap there on the V6). Then I took it to my local test track for a run or two. Hooked up the G-Tech and these were the results.

0-60

8.66 ...erm, this is where the adapter fell off and began rattling around in the engine bay!! :rolleyes4

All were launches at 2,500 rpm using the tip rather than the auto. Less than 1/4 of a tank and 10 degrees outside.

Considering that the times I was getting before the mod were all over 8 secs I think it made a difference. I just need to find a way to make it all a bit more secure. Progress is being made though in preparation for Japshow :leer:

Photos to come soon (I tried to load them up last night but I couldn't log on). :thumbsup:

Big Ian
24-05-2005, 10:22 AM
go get yourself a length of hoover hose /yes very easy to use and it fit's in to any bend, ive a picture of my engine bay in the CVR4 cars section ( :embarasse not sure if you can see the hose though!!)

colVR4
24-05-2005, 11:58 AM
Thought about the hoover hose mod but the bore of the tube is too small for my liking. The bore on the flexy aluminium stuff is about 4-5 inches, so loads more air!!!

BraindG
24-05-2005, 12:14 PM
if got a 4" (or 5") Flexy pipe coming up from vent by fog light...
quickest, easiest and cheapest performance mod ever!

pezza
24-05-2005, 12:29 PM

Really wanted to try this too in VR4 but no room in VR4 engine bay to route that? Unless anyone knows of a sneaky route??? :inquisiti

enigma
24-05-2005, 12:36 PM

You also have a manual gearbox

=

loads a room!

BraindG
24-05-2005, 12:38 PM
there's enough room to get the pipe up, at least on my manual..
it sits behind the passenger fog light, and comes up between the battery, and the edge of the radiator.

colVR4
24-05-2005, 01:15 PM
Mines automatic and there is a gap between the box and the radiator and battery. Is there more pipework in the way on the VR4?

enigma
24-05-2005, 01:17 PM
Mines automatic and there is a gap between the box and the radiator and battery. Is there more pipework in the way on the VR4?

Yep, pesky intercooler pipes get in the way! :rolleyes4

I might take them off so I can fit a cold air feed :thumbsup:

colVR4
24-05-2005, 01:20 PM
/I might take them off so I can fit a cold air feed /

Seems a reasonable idea. If you take out that whole turbo thingymajic you will have loads more space and would be able to make at least 5 bhp extra with a cold air feed...... wibble!!

The Vee
24-05-2005, 07:38 PM
With that sort of launch, did you get much wheelspin?

Big Ian
24-05-2005, 08:01 PM
had a little play with my G-Tech..... :embarasse forgot i had it!! the last time i tried it i had 4 peep's & a boot full in the car and got a best of 8.16

3 goes @ 0-60 with only me in my car

from a standing start :smug: i feel quite happy with those time's for a 2ltr with hoover hose :leer:

colVR4
24-05-2005, 10:03 PM
I don't get wheelspin in the dry usually but the slightest dampness on the road and it comes in spades!!!

The Vee
24-05-2005, 10:15 PM
Cheers Col Good figures
Scottishian, That is impressive. Now lets just say it once more. THAT AIN'T YOUR USUAL GLS....................................NO WAY :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Edit
Is that hose from a Dyson :embarasse :rolleyes4

colVR4
24-05-2005, 10:20 PM
Right, lets clear something up before I post the pictures.....my engine bay isn't.....

...spotlessly clean. :oops:

BACK OFF Kieran!! :stop:

Kieran
24-05-2005, 10:29 PM
That is truly disgraceful Colin! I shall now have to beat you twice - Once for having the bare-faced cheek to dare Challenge the mighty Hordak, and twice for the state of that engine bay!! :evil2: :evil2:

psbarham
24-05-2005, 10:33 PM
That is truly disgraceful Colin! I shall now have to beat you twice - Once for having the bare-faced cheek to dare Challenge the mighty Hordak, and twice for the state of that engine bay!! :evil2: :evil2:
oh dear if we ever meet then my bonnet release cable has just broken :embarasse

Gly
25-05-2005, 07:09 AM
move you battery, more room to work with

http://thegspot.orcon.net.nz/Legnum/engine.JPG

Big Ian
25-05-2005, 08:45 AM
Cheers Col Good figures
Scottishian, That is impressive. Now lets just say it once more. THAT AIN'T YOUR USUAL GLS....................................NO WAY :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Edit
Is that hose from a Dyson :embarasse :rolleyes4

not sure Andy, i bought it from a local part's shop? :rolleyes4 (but it is bag-less)

colVR4
25-05-2005, 09:58 AM
And before anybody says anything, the piece of metal acting as a bracket for the air filter is in fact a 'modified' Homebase shelf bracket. Personally I thought I should get points for inginuity. Nominations for the Heath-Robinson awards accepted :D