PDA

View Full Version : Post De-cat op - how was it for you?

p1_
24-05-2005, 10:07 AM
Just some general curiosity here to know, for those who have had the recent Op, how owners are now finding their VR-4?

Much of a gain in performance? Noise?

cheers

BraindG
24-05-2005, 11:38 AM
oh, the noise.. it makes little kiddies tremble in fear.. so, all in all :thumbsup:

Kenneth
24-05-2005, 08:52 PM
Not much extra noise with mine, but then I have the standard muffler.

Im certian it picks up boost faster though, I can hit full boost (10psi) below 2,500 RPM

konman
24-05-2005, 09:03 PM
ive noticed its a bit more throaty, and raw, mindyou, ive still got the standard system so i may just be dreaming. but after a good 5 hours under the car, and having to take the whole bl@@dy system off because the nuts were rusted on, hitting it with a BIG hammer, a can of CRC and a gas torch i finally got it all off only to discover i hadnt bought the required extra parts, arse!!!!!!!!!!, jumped into dad's car, sped to repco, got the parts then sweet as your pink bits... im sure it pulls better through the rev range now, doesnt peter out at the top end, and it spools up faster im sure.

colVR4
24-05-2005, 10:08 PM
What extra parts are you talking about?

p1_
25-05-2005, 01:27 AM
Yep - i've noticed a bit more noise and yes I agree the turbos spin up faster.
:thumbsup:

Wish I was joining the blat this weekend, to try it out seriously and to yarn about it too. :embarasse

konman
25-05-2005, 01:47 AM
What extra parts are you talking about?

couple of nuts and bolts.

dickytim
25-05-2005, 07:02 AM
I noticed extra noise, I took off the rear muffler and notices it powers right up to redline now.

colVR4
25-05-2005, 09:54 AM
Do you need any gasket sealant stuff or anything or is it a straight bolt on job?

kornstar
25-05-2005, 11:15 AM
so worth getting done then?

Kieran
25-05-2005, 11:43 AM
Do you need any gasket sealant stuff or anything

Yeah, you'll need a bit of summat to stop the joint blowing. Other than that, it's just 4 bolts! :happy:

pezza
25-05-2005, 11:49 AM
Be prepared to swear, possibly get grazed hands, use a load of tools and lubricant :D as part of the procedure /yes :rolleyes4

enigma
25-05-2005, 12:15 PM
Be prepared to swear, possibly get grazed hands, use a load of tools and lubricant :D as part of the procedure /yes :rolleyes4

Are we still talking decats???

pezza
25-05-2005, 12:38 PM
Are we still talking decats???

Indeed :D

Big Ian
25-05-2005, 01:12 PM

NAH!! Pez, did you fit your's yourself or, did you pay someone to fit it?
:rolleyes4
2 spanner's :thumbsup:
2 new gasket's :thumbsup:
and some paste :thumbsup:
Ohh and a lift or set of ramp's could come in handy /yes

colVR4
25-05-2005, 01:20 PM
"Be prepared to swear, possibly get grazed hands, use a load of tools and lubricant as part of the procedure"

Sounds like the last time I asked for a bit of 'howsyefather'!!

BraindG
25-05-2005, 01:25 PM
Mine was a complete bitch to take off.

3 Bolts came of without any problems, and im sure you can see where this is heading already.

The 4th bolt was a complete, and utter pain in the ass... Wouter was helping me at this point.. however the bolt was on that tight/rusted on/aliens were using some special sticky force while laughing at us, or other that we had to drill, yes! drill the last remaning Bolt off :rolleyes4 took forever! Im sure we were still at it under floodlight at 10pm

All this whilst the car was up on a axlestand and a trolley jack, on a slopping drive..

Now, however piece of piss, got some nice bolts that come of with ease, and the cat can be back on the car within 20 minutes.

pezza
25-05-2005, 01:30 PM
Mine was a complete bitch to take off.

3 Bolts came of without any problems, and im sure you can see where this is heading already.

The 4th bolt was a complete, and utter pain in the ass... All this whilst the car was up on a axlestand and a trolley jack, on a slopping drive..

Now, however piece of piss, got some nice bolts that come of with ease, and the cat can be back on the car within 20 minutes.

Ian.....What the main just said ^^^^^

:D

BraindG
25-05-2005, 01:37 PM
i have a feeling it took us nearly 8 or 9 hours to complete this job.. :rolleyes4

edit: not having a nice ramp was the worst. We tried everything we could think off before resorting to the drill, and numerous drillbits /grr

Big Ian
25-05-2005, 01:42 PM
NAH!! Pez, did you fit your's yourself or, did you pay someone to fit it?
:rolleyes4
2 spanner's :thumbsup:
2 new gasket's :thumbsup:
and some paste :thumbsup:
Ohh and a lift or set of ramp's could come in handy /yes

:embarasse and some may need help from a blow tourch or heat gun :thumbsup:

i must have had luck on my side when i changed mine, either that or the heat from your V6 engine's welded the nut's on :rolleyes4

colVR4
25-05-2005, 01:44 PM
Or I could take it to the local tyre and exhaust place who will change it for nowt!!

BraindG
25-05-2005, 02:05 PM
please don't day thats true... :inquisiti /grr

colVR4
25-05-2005, 03:48 PM
They fitted my new Eagle F1s a couple of months back and did some bodywork for me. I mentioned it to them the other day and offered to pay them a couple of quid but said not to bother :D

Spirit
25-05-2005, 05:19 PM
AP Motors fitted my last one after Simon had removed it.........*cough* free of charge :thumbsup:

Anyhow, if you don't have one - get one....for all the reasons already mentioned. Polabear says mine sounds like a "howling Banshea" (whatever the f*ck one of them is :rolleyes4 :happy: :happy: ) :thumbsup:

SGHOM
25-05-2005, 05:23 PM
please don't day thats true... :inquisiti /grr
'fraid so !! :embarasse mine was fitted free also, when they did my twin zorst ! :thumbsup:

p1_
25-05-2005, 10:47 PM
Me too - mine was FOC when I got the transmission flushed out. The outfit I bought it from really look after me :thumbsup:

The gaskets/seals were shot though.

Polabear
26-05-2005, 07:46 AM
Do you need any gasket sealant stuff or anything or is it a straight bolt on job?

2 flange gaskets from mitsy around a £5, 4 s/s bolts nuts flat and spring washers and some coppaslip grease....jobs a goodun... :thumbsup:

Polabear
26-05-2005, 07:51 AM
Polabear says mine sounds like a "howling Banshea" (whatever the f*ck one of them is :rolleyes4 :happy: :happy: ) :thumbsup:

A lot of which is down to the SuperDragger as well, :thumbsup: was told mine sounded like something being tortured when on full throttle....... :leer: