PDA

View Full Version : new bonnet...some help please

ShadyNZer
24-05-2005, 11:53 AM
just bought a carbon fibre bonnet on trade me and wanna chuck it on pronto...anybody have any tips on how?? i thought it would be a str8 bolt on, which probably is but i forgot take into account the wind shield washers...plus do i need to put that silver heat mat thingy under the standard bonnet onto the new one?? any help would be sweet :thumbsup:

aaron68nz
24-05-2005, 12:03 PM
What purpose does that silver heat thingy really usefully serve? I'm thinking it keeps heat inside the engine bay but why would that be useful unless driving in freezing temperatures. Maybee to stop the bonnet and its paint from being roasted????

BraindG
24-05-2005, 12:15 PM
i'd think the latter there, prevent the bonnet overheating..
Ive never taken it off, so don't know how its fixed, so cant help there sorry.

i3ooyah
24-05-2005, 01:12 PM
dude its just a bonnet, take it off & replace it

ShadyNZer
24-05-2005, 02:30 PM
lol yeah a pretty expensive bonnet tho, that i wanna take precautions with....like if i dont put that heat thing on will it fu*k it up?
plus should be easy enough to fit the windshield washers aye...?

Lurch
24-05-2005, 03:32 PM
Is that the $595 one? If so whats it like, was looking at getting one.

ShadyNZer
24-05-2005, 10:36 PM
yeah the one off trade me, bloody konman took the bid up to $610 but all good lol...yeah the bonnet is sweet as, looks phat, packaging was a b!tch to clean up tho, heaps of little shredded paper and and a big ass cardboard box....good buy tho compared to the other one thats like 1200 on there

Slimshady
24-05-2005, 10:50 PM
That heat mat thingy could also be sound insulation – errrrrrr hang on a sec that could be a good thing to get rid of…………… well if you like the sound of the engine rather than the stereo??????

:evil2:

westy
24-05-2005, 10:51 PM
you need to put some form of heat protection on.you should be able to find some self adhesive at your motor factors,otherwise the carbon will blister

Pete M
25-05-2005, 12:03 AM
If you use a heat gun (or at a pinch a hair dryer) to warm the glue on the silver insulation, it will soften the glue and make it easier to remove from the old bonnet. :thumbsup:

i3ooyah
25-05-2005, 12:15 AM
i havnt used any heat protection & mine is fine

ShadyNZer
25-05-2005, 12:50 AM
sh!t i just went out and bought some heat protection thingy...bloody $50 too...ahhh well imah give it a jam, only thing im worried bout is the washers...

p1_
25-05-2005, 01:24 AM
Hope it all goes well and dont forget to post some pics up mate. :thumbsup:

konman
25-05-2005, 01:56 AM
yeah the one off trade me, bloody konman took the bid up to $610 but all good lol...yeah the bonnet is sweet as, looks phat, packaging was a b!tch to clean up tho, heaps of little shredded paper and and a big ass cardboard box....good buy tho compared to the other one thats like 1200 on there

bwaaaaa ha ha ha ha :evil2: sorry mate... you made me sweat a bit though, when i told the ball and chain what i was doing she hit the roof... so i couldnt really buy it and keep mon goolies attached to mon self... i was still leading for about a day i think.. then you came through like the trooper you are and save "the boys" and further pain.... ha ha ha ha

ShadyNZer
25-05-2005, 03:11 AM
^^ lol all good...

here it is anyway, put some insulation on underneath, but havent attached the windshield washers yet coz i couldnt get the plastic bits that hold the tubing out of the old bonnet,not that it wouldve helped cos there were no holes on the new bonnet to put them into anyway....
.bloody thing doesnt fit in too, lil piece of on the bonnet that needs to be filed down a bit so the lil thingy that holds it into place can go right in...if you know what i mean :inquisiti hoping thats what it is anyway...
heres some pics and how far it sticks out, still holds in place tho but not right in...got no files here so ill take it to work tonight and file it down, hopefully it works..

aaron68nz
25-05-2005, 05:58 AM
i havnt used any heat protection & mine is fine

Im just thinking maybee I should look at pulling the insulation off to allow more heat to escape the engine bay via the bonnet. Maybee keep some on just above manifold if it starts to effect paintwork.

Gly
25-05-2005, 06:32 AM
personally i think the $1200 one on there looks ALOT better than this one,
(not trying to offend)
I3ooyaa has the expensive one i think...
would be good to see them side buy side to compare quality

i just think the vent looks funny... its to pointy and flat down on the bonnet..
still a good buy for the $$ paid

dickytim
25-05-2005, 06:53 AM
should we look at starting a post system for people bidding on Trademe or Ebay, to stop us pushing prices up for other members ?

Any one want ot comment ?

zentac
25-05-2005, 07:30 AM
should we look at starting a post system for people bidding on Trademe or Ebay, to stop us pushing prices up for other members ?

Any one want ot comment ?

quite a few people do anyway, I know I have in the past.

Freddy
25-05-2005, 08:20 AM
One problem with the cheap carbon fibre products is that they have used cheap resin which tends to yellow from engine bay heat or sunlight. Fingers crossed Shay.

ShadyNZer
27-05-2005, 08:45 AM
true...ratsh!t...ahhh well we'll see lol..
anyways for the vent, are u supposed to leave it covered up? i took the piece off that came underneath....?

ShadyNZer
27-05-2005, 11:16 PM
........?

i3ooyah
28-05-2005, 01:13 AM
leave it on

take it off if u want when its sunny

ShadyNZer
28-05-2005, 06:17 AM
oh k, cheers