PDA

View Full Version : engine bay

kornstar
27-05-2005, 11:27 AM
hey guys

i was just checking ouy spirits car photos and engine bay when i noticed two things that i want to no what are and what they do?

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-10/864776/spirit2.jpg

could someone explain these two for me?

cheers

Kieran
27-05-2005, 11:54 AM
'A' measures airflow/temperature entering the engine bay from the fans. When we dismantled Project VX, it was hooked into the Climate control loom.

'B' - These are the hook-ups for the Aircon circuit. They have 'H' and 'L' embossed on the caps which refer to the high and low pressure refrigerant lines.

Big Ian
27-05-2005, 12:24 PM
'A' measures airflow/temperature entering the engine bay from the fans. When we dismantled Project VX, it was hooked into the Climate control loom.

'B' - These are the hook-ups for the Aircon circuit. They have 'H' and 'L' embossed on the caps which refer to the high and low pressure refrigerant lines.

with regard's to "A" my GLS has this and i don't have climate control ?

I-S
27-05-2005, 12:28 PM
Mine too...

Spirit
27-05-2005, 12:43 PM

I would guess they are fitted as standard when manufactured but the climate control electronic parts (need to make it work) etc were factory options ?

Kieran
27-05-2005, 12:59 PM

Ah but, you have heating/switched aircon, right? I think it's there to make sure there's sufficient airflow into the engine bay, and kicks the fans in if not - The aircon heat exchanger needs good airflow to keep blowing cold air.

Big Ian
27-05-2005, 01:19 PM
Ah but, you have heating/switched aircon, right? I think it's there to make sure there's sufficient airflow into the engine bay, and kicks the fans in if not - The aircon heat exchanger needs good airflow to keep blowing cold air.

:inquisiti is that the button with car outline and an arrow in it :rolleyes4 3rd down??

Kieran
27-05-2005, 02:04 PM
:inquisiti is that the button with car outline and an arrow in it :rolleyes4 3rd down??

Nah, that's air re-circ. On my GLS it was inbetween that button and the heated rear window button - It's got a frost symbol on it....

Oh, wait a mo.... Yours is an Irish market GLS isn't it....... So you may not have aircon - In which case, I may well be talking moo-poo!! :embarasse

Big Ian
27-05-2005, 02:52 PM
Nah, that's air re-circ. On my GLS it was inbetween that button and the heated rear window button - It's got a frost symbol on it....

Oh, wait a mo.... Yours is an Irish market GLS isn't it....... So you may not have aircon - In which case, I may well be talking moo-poo!! :embarasse

Moo,,Poo you :rolleyes4 i only have the 2 button's,the middle is blank

yip mine's is :inquisiti.....Irish
supplied to England from Japan, shipped to Ireland, brought back to England then i bought it in Scotland :happy:

I-S
27-05-2005, 02:58 PM
So that would make it a Celt Galant?

wirdy
27-05-2005, 09:57 PM

Not sure, but it looks more like an amplifier/regulator of some sort to me. The aluminium rods are a heatsink- it must do a fair bit of work to be designed to sit right in the airflow.
Like most jap electrics it's probably so reliable that nobody has had to change one to know what the heck it does!!

Big Ian
27-05-2005, 10:41 PM
:inquisiti think i'll un plug mine and see what happen's?

wirdy
27-05-2005, 10:46 PM
:inquisiti think i'll un plug mine and see what happen's?

This thing does get hot even when the engine bay is cool - hence the reasoning on heatsink rather than heat sensor.

I'd suspect it's a voltage reg for the coil packs - if so the engine won't start. /yes

Physician
27-05-2005, 11:41 PM
Item 'A' is the FAN CONTROLLER for the engine cooling system. :thumbsup:

kornstar
28-05-2005, 10:11 AM
cheers guys:thumbsup:

wirdy
28-05-2005, 12:04 PM
Item 'A' is the FAN CONTROLLER for the engine cooling system. :thumbsup:

Thanks Richard. Often wondered what controlled the variable speed fans.
I take it there's no water temp sensor at all then? - it's all controlled by the air temp around this unit?

Paul Beazer
28-05-2005, 12:48 PM
So that would make it a Celt Galant?
Careful now, you'll start Keiran off. Sounds too much like Colt Galant (K's latest fetish!!) :inquisiti

Kieran
28-05-2005, 12:55 PM
Careful now, you'll start Keiran off. Sounds too much like Colt Galant (K's latest fetish!!) :inquisiti

Go and stand at the back of the class, Paul! /grr

I-S
28-05-2005, 01:30 PM
That pun was the entire point of that post paul...

Kieran
28-05-2005, 02:02 PM
Go and stand at the back of the class, Paul! /grr

You too, Issac!! /grr

RED
28-05-2005, 02:19 PM
I think that the fans are controlled by a water temp sensor and that 'A' is a ballast for the variable speed fan as Richard says. You could not control the temp of the engine by measuring the airflow coming from the radiator as it is not an accurate measurment of the temp of the engine itself.

Marcus

Physician
28-05-2005, 03:48 PM
Thanks Richard. Often wondered what controlled the variable speed fans.
I take it there's no water temp sensor at all then? - it's all controlled by the air temp around this unit?

Well, it's all far too complicated for my non-technical auto mind but I've gleaned this info from various documents and schematics.

The Fan Controller (mentioned previously) carries out the step-free control of the radiator fan motor and the condenser fan motor speeds using signals transmitted from the engine ECU.
The engine ECU calculates requirements for the Fan Controller from various data including data received from the engine coolant temperature sensor (as Marcus has correctly stated) and the air intake temperature sensor. .......... Good eh! Lol :smug:

wirdy
28-05-2005, 05:43 PM
It all becomes clearer :thumbsup:

Is there anything that's not controlled by the ECU on our cars????? :rolleyes4

I-S
28-05-2005, 05:57 PM
The grab handles?

wirdy
28-05-2005, 06:02 PM
The grab handles?

Nahh! I bet there's microswitches on them that prevent you starting the engine if someone is getting in or out of the car :D :D :D