PDA

View Full Version : Rate My Ride

tunes
10-08-2003, 10:11 PM
Would be interesting to get something like this http://www.ratemyride.co.nz/ up and running from this site...

BraindG
10-08-2003, 10:15 PM
no point..
best ice - zedy
cleanest car/engine - spirit979
best graphics - petrolhead
dirtiest car - Brain

tunes
10-08-2003, 10:22 PM
You will find your hits and members will grow by quite a bit with something like this on board. Takes **** all to get up and running too.

BraindG
10-08-2003, 10:24 PM
i know my hits - got any other proof?
INSERT INTO post VALUES (dont want to sound like a twat, but - i dont think that will attract people)

SGHOM
10-08-2003, 10:30 PM
you missed one out braindg... most abused car, Interlec's :D :D

Spirit
10-08-2003, 10:30 PM
Got to agree with you there Barry - leave that to the likes of cardomain.com

tunes
10-08-2003, 10:32 PM
One of the major things that draws people to any site which is based around message boards are photos. Add to the photos a chance for people to interact, vote, comment, compete etc and you will get more interest. I work for biggie.co.nz and the photo section is one of our major drawcards for attracting new people to the site. By having a 'rate my ride' kind of page you will take the photo idea to the next level.

tunes
10-08-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by spirit979
Got to agree with you there Barry - leave that to the likes of cardomain.com

Why leave it to others when it is so easy to do it yourself? Not only do it but do it BETTER.

BraindG
10-08-2003, 10:35 PM
its not whee i want this site to go..
i have a master plan, but thats not a part of it..
if someone could justify it to me, then do so.. but untill then.. nope.. leave it to cardomain..

tunes
10-08-2003, 10:36 PM
All good... Just my thoughts.

Spirit
10-08-2003, 10:37 PM
Personally I don't think it will attract much more interest as this is a club purely about VR4's. It will only attract people interested in these cars anyhow and we are not really competing with any other sites.

If it was say just a Mitsubishi Car's website or something more broadbased then I would agree. Still it is an idea and Barry does have the "Members Cars" section waiting to go so maybe we can adapt that somehow later if required.

Pete

tunes
10-08-2003, 10:43 PM
Will be interesting to see what develops in the future either way with the members photo section. I agree that with this being a specialized site there are always going to be limits. From my experience it is always worth trying to either exploit or take advantage of whatever means are available.

Hope the 'master plan' is rolling along nicely though.

SGHOM
10-08-2003, 10:44 PM
can I make a suggestion ?? .... this site has grown so much in the past few months, that there are so many old threads/ replies,/ questions/. etc dating back ages. could some of these be deleted, so that the site becomes a little easier to navigate ? I'm speaking as a complete computer ignaramous. but it does get a little confusing at times reading things over & over again that you read months ago ?

tunes
10-08-2003, 10:48 PM
In my opinion it is best to hang on to these old threads unless they are slowing down your server... They usually make either good references or laughs for the future.

Brind
10-08-2003, 11:12 PM
I actually built a cardomain page yesterday! I had already built a simple webpage for people to see my car but the cardomain is much easier.
Plus it gains a much bigger audience and the ratings mean more than they would here as we all have very similer looking cars and specs.
Spirit has a gleaming car but so could BrainG is he wasn't so bloody lazy gawping at the who's online section all of the time!;) :D lol

We will have the rides section complete soon but there isn't any point making it possible to comment there as we can add pictures elsewhere on this site where people can give their opinions.

As for the old threads I completely disagree with deleting them as they are excellent references and I use them regulary to help people out who haven't bothered to search for them.
There are plenty of ways to only see new threads and posts.

Oh and come and see my car on my cardomain site! the link is in my signature! and Pete I've left you a msg on yours.
I've already got 512 hits and the site was only made last night!:monkey3:

Spirit
10-08-2003, 11:28 PM
Thanks mate - left you a lttle message to mate, and rated it the tops of course

BraindG
10-08-2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by interlec
can I make a suggestion ?? .... this site has grown so much in the past few months, that there are so many old threads/ replies,/ questions/. etc dating back ages. could some of these be deleted, so that the site becomes a little easier to navigate ? I'm speaking as a complete computer ignaramous. but it does get a little confusing at times reading things over & over again that you read months ago ?

old posts dont slow donw the site.. they are stored in a databse.. and when oeone tries to access them. they are retrieved from that database...

all the info is not kept online at any one time.. its just pulled from the databse as, and when its needed... so theres no issue about the site slowing down.. plus ol247.net, is a pretty good company, fast and reliable

Brind
10-08-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by spirit979
Thanks mate - left you a lttle message to mate, and rated it the tops of course
Thanks alot, I said I didn't like yours by accident..:INSERT INTO post VALUES ( sorry lol :D nah, rated you the highest too. :)

Spirit
11-08-2003, 06:42 AM
Just noticed I have now had 11,400 hits :D :D :D

BraindG
11-08-2003, 07:04 AM
we get a fair few hits from that page aswell...
good job
:thumb1:

Pescha
11-08-2003, 07:38 AM
My car is at the rate my ride INSERT INTO post VALUES (NZ) Click here (http://www.ratemyride.co.nz/?id=10176)
Plus my interior here (http://www.ratemyride.co.nz/?id=10178)

The comments you get are unreal....

Cheers,
Pescha!

BraindG
19-02-2004, 05:30 PM
hmmm - i sounded like a right grumpy sod that day... sorry tunes.. must have got out of the wrong side of the bed or something