PDA

View Full Version : super charged GLS?

Big Ian
01-06-2005, 10:09 AM
"SUPER CHARGER"
anyone looked in to fitting one?
are they only pulley driven?......pro's an con's??
would the head gasket need changing for compression?? (like on most turbo conversion's)

i'm having big, "BIG" doubt's about selling my car to make way for a VR4 (ive spent a :inquisiti ....larger than small fortune on it!), so i'm looking at other up-grade's that will add to the power side of thing's with my GLS /yes

enigma
01-06-2005, 11:11 AM
I reckon a mini supercharger will fit on really well, you wont get huge increases in power, but it will be noticeable!

Bal
01-06-2005, 12:15 PM
see i thoguht this, but then i thought with a supercharger comes a need for uprated suspension, brakes etc.

i can only assume this has been done.

lol, like you i dont really want to sell the GLS, wouldnt mind a bit more power ...

at the end of the day you might as well just go get a VR4 and be done with it.

Kieran
01-06-2005, 12:18 PM
Would one of the teeny-tiny turbos from the VR-4 provide a nice safe level of boost, without causing detonation issues or such?

Thought about a single setup for Hordak many times, but too scared to try it! :embarasse /help

Zeke
01-06-2005, 08:33 PM
Would one of the teeny-tiny turbos from the VR-4 provide a nice safe level of boost, without causing detonation issues or such?

Thought about a single setup for Hordak many times, but too scared to try it! :embarasse /help

That would just not be worth the effort, instead, why not go for a direct bolt-on kit with everything you need including a fuel system?

Here is the turbo kit (http://www.turbokits.com/galant_turbo_kits.html) for your V6. I'm assuming you have a 6A12? Convert USD to GBP and I think it will be a rather pleasant choice for a reliable 100hp increase @ 6psi!

mdgeist
01-06-2005, 08:36 PM
Sounds like a great idea. I've heard about electric super charges for the GLS. I know they are available in the USA. Apparently they don't take power from the engine decreasing torque, they take it from the battery.

I'm still looking in to this further so i will let you know if i get any more info

ANTHONY
01-06-2005, 09:43 PM
see i thoguht this, but then i thought with a supercharger comes a need for uprated suspension, brakes etc.

i can only assume this has been done.

lol, like you i dont really want to sell the GLS, wouldnt mind a bit more power ...

at the end of the day you might as well just go get a VR4 and be done with it.
i agree with bal you can only go so far with wot you'v got. it may be the right time to go get a vr-4 as you'll never get any thing back on the old gls and you'll still want a vr-4

psbarham
01-06-2005, 09:54 PM
i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong but is'nt the gls engine the same as an evo without the turbo , in which case coudn't you fit an evo engine straight in ?

Big Ian
01-06-2005, 10:28 PM
i agree with bal you can only go so far with wot you'v got. it may be the right time to go get a vr-4 as you'll never get any thing back on the old gls and you'll still want a vr-4

nah...if you've got the will power, time and money you can go far with what ever car youve got /yes, it's a tuning world out their.....just ask Dave, Derek and Zentac (to name a few) yes they had mega power to work with but nothing is imposable, even a shot of nos to a 2ltr would be a worth while extra /yes

as it stand's "i'd not get much back" allready for my GLS as ive spend about £2200 on it on up-grade's, it cost me £5K when i bought it 32 month's ago and in today's :rolleyes4 crazy price market it's maybe only worth £2500, i know my car well and it's in mint, mint condition so i'm thinking "why not do something to my "old" 2ltr GLS to give it a power boost" ive done load's everywhere else on it? at the moment i'd say it's giving out about the same as a standard V6, ive drove at least 3 other 2ltr's and i like other's also think mine has been chipped/re-mapped?......it's not proper for a 2ltr to keep up with (or pass) some of the car's my car and me have/can :leer: ( /yes.....i'm big headed about this)

:inquisiti but that said.....ive cut my lose's before and followed my heart /yes (that's how ive got my GLS)
next week will make my mind up for defo /yes , once i see and read about what VR4 from 4 i can pick :happy:

Big Ian
01-06-2005, 10:31 PM
i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong but is'nt the gls engine the same as an evo without the turbo , in which case coudn't you fit an evo engine straight in ?

they look as near as you'll get to being the same /yes , might need all the eletric's to go with it (loom,ECU..etc) and probably the dash panel's. :inquisiti ....and someone to make drive shaft's to fit??

ANTHONY
01-06-2005, 10:32 PM
you have got a very good point there............. lt least you know the car and it's cheaper to maintain and poss run ...........you could end up with a load of sh#t /yes

Kieran
01-06-2005, 10:45 PM
you have got a very good point there............. lt least you know the car and it's cheaper to maintain and poss run ...........you could end up with a load of sh#t /yes

Too true.... You occasionally get the odd gem, but most of the sub £5,000 cars I've seen so far at dealers shout 'TROUBLE!' at you from the other side of the forecourt....

Big Ian
01-06-2005, 10:55 PM

i know i'd like to own a VR4.....but it's hard bite'n the bullet and giving up on what has been "thee best car ive ever owned /yes"

/wall (FuK......why do i get so many mixed feeling's about "A CAR!!!!!")
--------------------------------- :thinking2 ---------------------------------

Kenneth
01-06-2005, 11:03 PM

Have you had your estrogen levels checked? :inquisiti

Kenneth
01-06-2005, 11:12 PM
or you could have been a car in another life. Brings to mind the episode on red dwarf when Kryton is make human and cracks a woody (double polaroid) over an appliance catalogue

LOL

In seriousness, it looks like you have a gem there and it would be a shame to give it up for something that ends up being nothing but trouble. If you had the funds, I guess you could have a VR-4 as a second car, and keep the GLS as a daily drive. You could then mod the pants off the VR-4 and not worry so much about reliability whilst keeping the time between services to a maximum.

Big Ian
02-06-2005, 12:26 AM
In seriousness, it looks like you have a gem there and it would be a shame to give it up for something that ends up being nothing but trouble. If you had the funds, I guess you could have a VR-4 as a second car, and keep the GLS as a daily drive. You could then mod the pants off the VR-4 and not worry so much about reliability whilst keeping the time between services to a maximum.

:smug: this is the way i'd like it to be.......but for now fund's won't allow :embarasse

Bal
02-06-2005, 10:05 AM
are the dilemas of the GLS faithful.

what to do ... what to do ...

ritch_w
02-06-2005, 10:44 AM
i know i'd like to own a VR4.....but it's hard bite'n the bullet and giving up on what has been "thee best car ive ever owned /yes"

--------------------------------- :thinking2 ---------------------------------

Ian - you are at the exact same place I was last November.....lots of sleepless nights fretting over what to do (and its only a bloody car...)

unfortunately, once you check out the 4 VR4's and have a few test drives you will be in even more torment!!! :rolleyes4

then you'll bite the bullet and get screwed over for the GLS (like i did on the V6) and get a VR4 (and empty pockets!!!)

what ever you do - it will all come good!!!!

Big Ian
02-06-2005, 10:51 AM
unfortunately, once you check out the 4 VR4's and have a few test drives you will be in even more torment!!! :rolleyes4

/yes it's all Derek's (interlec) fault anyway :rolleyes4 ...he gave me a shot of his and even though it was slightly ill, "it was still a few zillion mile's different than my GLS" /yes
i only drove it for about a mile and it put a nice BIG grin on my gub!....and Jacque like's the sound of the V6 TT, Auto :thumbsup:

Kieran
02-06-2005, 12:14 PM

/yes

Kenneth
02-06-2005, 10:51 PM
....and Jacque like's the sound of the V6 TT, Auto :thumbsup:

aahhh, the seal of approval :thumbsup: