PDA

View Full Version : Buying a house in Reading ... (oxford area)

Bal
01-06-2005, 12:11 PM
my flatmate and I are looking to invest in house. We have been approved for a mortgage of around £200k.

I suggested Reading as an alternative to didcot ...

do you guys know anything about the Reading area, places to steer clear of, places to try.

We want a "fix me upper" something that needs some cosmetic work, nothing structural.

any assistance much appreciated.

Thanks
B

PS the GLS is not going anywhere for sometime, with everything else i have to purchase a VR4 would not be feasable for until early next year.

NevGroom
01-06-2005, 12:32 PM
Try to steer clear of West Reading (between town centre and Tilehurst, around the Oxford Road - Drugs 'n Prossies). Some parts of Tilehurst are good, South Reading (Witley) is a little dodgy, Woodley, Earley and Wokingham (where I am) are obviously excellent (but attract inflated price tags). North (Caversham & Emmer Green) is pretty decent too.

200/220k should get you a decent sized place to "do up"

If you need further info, drop me a line - I've lived in Wokingham for over 30 years and know most of Reading and the surrounding towns/villages.

Nev

ritch_w
01-06-2005, 12:45 PM
£200K would buy you a mansion up here!!! :smug:

NevGroom
01-06-2005, 12:55 PM
A 3-bed semi 1/2 mile from me went for 350k last month. Bloody crazy!

WildCards
01-06-2005, 12:56 PM
You'd get a sizeable 3 bed with garage here for that. And you wouldn't have to 'do-it-up'

Nick Mann
01-06-2005, 01:22 PM
2 year old house behind me, 4 bed detached with garage, currently on the market for £225k.

Glad I don't live near Oxford!

michaeli
01-06-2005, 01:23 PM
Look in the local papers and ask local councils for 'regenration projects', they will give you the informatiojn freely and these areas are worth investing in as they normally bring more business' into the area and you can shift the place easily.

Have you not thought of buying a couple of cheaper houses up north and renting them out? They would pay for the mortgage and a bit of pocket money and there are agencies that would deal with everything on your behalf....

you can vet your tenants and get long term leases, then go back to the bank and show them the income is paying for the mortgage and do the same again and again...

You'd have a property portfolio worth £1m+ and people falling over themselves to lend you money....

Mike

Bal
01-06-2005, 01:32 PM
this is for us to live in instead of paying rent in oxfordshire.

ANTHONY
01-06-2005, 05:44 PM
i live just outside london £200K FOR A SMALL FLAT

Chad
01-06-2005, 05:44 PM
I suggested Reading as an alternative to didcot ...

What's wrong with the Didcot area?? You'll get something quite good in the Ladygrove Estate for that money.
If you need a plumber as well give me a bell for a competitive quote :smug: (not blowing my own trumpet much :rolleyes4 ) I live in Harwell!!!

Nick VR4
01-06-2005, 09:04 PM
i live just outside london £200K FOR A SMALL FLAT

Mate lives is South London and has a 2 bed flat just been valued £270k :rolleyes4

Bal
02-06-2005, 10:00 AM
chad, theres nothing wrong with the ladygrove, youll find me done the ladyboy pub every friday lunch time ...

id be up for it but flatmate isnt.

Dream Weaver
02-06-2005, 11:48 AM
There is a pub called the ladyboy ? :rolleyes4

Bal
02-06-2005, 12:21 PM
no ... unfortunately, it's a hungry horses pub that we call the ladyboy cos it's in the ladygrove estate.

Chad
03-06-2005, 08:21 PM
youll find me done the ladyboy pub every friday lunch time ...

Oh.... to be let down the pub on a friday lunchtime /whip ....

I mean oh to get down the pub friday lunch time :embarasse

Haven't done that for years, Think I might get p***ed tonight :thumbsup: