PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Spacers/adapters

VR4HOAR
03-06-2005, 12:51 AM
Is anyone using these? My legnum has 20 mm adapters fitted to allow the brembos to fit on. Has anyone got these on and if so any problems?

I get a bit of bump steer from them (I assume thats what the cause is) but other wise doesn't seem too bad. Makes the car look a bit fatter too :happy:

Just generally interested in your thoughts/experiences.

Kenneth
03-06-2005, 01:00 AM
hmmm, you shouldn't be getting bump-steer from spacers.

All cars get bump-steer to a certian degree, its unavoidable with current suspension and steering design.
Bump-steer happens because your steering rods have to be able to deal with the up and down movement of the wheel. because only one end of the rod moves vertically (the bit attached to the wheel) it changes its length in relation to the wheel. ie / angle have very little horizontal width compared to if it was parallel with the ground.

Because the rod lenght is fixed, the wheel steers when the suspension is moved. When going in a straight line at reasonably low speed, I just let the steering wheel move and the car stays more settled.

VR4HOAR
03-06-2005, 01:08 AM
Oh, Okay then. I understood that the handling was affected by the spacers, but that little bit of bump steer is all that I have noticed, so attributed it to the spacers.