PDA

View Full Version : ??NZ Octane, anyone made the switch???

mpau009
03-06-2005, 02:25 AM
:inquisiti Hi guys and gals, iv been looking at some of the other threads about people moving to a higher octane petrol, but they all seem to be UK based, has anyone in New Zealand switched theirs? iv got the non turbo V6 wagon, which i bought from a dealer ex-japan, which he ran on 91, so thats what iv been doing. Should i switch? Does it make much of a difference? BTW, iv got a '97 with 100k's on the clock, should this make a difference to its lifespan? Questions galore i know, but basically i'm looking for some accounts of Kiwis who've changed, and can give me their experiences? Also i read that the change can upset the Invecs 'box, this is what iv got, so can anyone validate that?

Maybe if you could give me an out of 10 rating or something???

KiwiTT
03-06-2005, 02:31 AM
If you do make the switch make sure you reset the ECU.

BTW: I have always used 98

Kenneth
03-06-2005, 02:47 AM
A good thing to try is use the trip meter to find out how far you usually get to a tank on 91.
Then switch to high octane, reset the ECU (take the terminals off the battery for 10mins or so to be sure) and repeat test.

Personally I wouldn't run 91 in anything other than a lawnmower. I don't mind the extra $3-$5 each time I fill up.

mpau009
03-06-2005, 04:20 AM
Thanks for the feedback, i should definately give it a go. Would you guys recommend waiting until the tank is all but empty, or can i mix the 2? would this upset the ecu's sensors?

KiwiTT
03-06-2005, 04:31 AM
Get it as empty as possible. i.e. drive for a few kms with the "empty" warning light on.

freaksnzl
03-06-2005, 04:38 AM
Thanks for the feedback, i should definately give it a go. Would you guys recommend waiting until the tank is all but empty, or can i mix the 2? would this upset the ecu's sensors?

For best result i would wait unitl the fuel light comes on so you are runnig full 98 or 96 not a dilute one.