PDA

View Full Version : Brown oil

I-S
03-06-2005, 09:41 PM
In the past couple of days the GLS's engine has started sounding a little ropey when cold. It was doing this in february and early march as well up until I got the oil changed.

I just checked the oil, and there's plenty of it, but it's a definite brown colour rather than the amberish colour it is when it goes in.

So, I guess the two things are related, and that's not unreasonable.

What surprises me is that the oil was changed on the 23rd of march. In that time the car spent 3 weeks standing while I was on holiday, and has only covered 1600 miles. This seems remarkably short....

Is this because they didn't flush the engine (nothing on the bill, when there usually is)? Or is it crap oil (Shell Helix semi-synth, put in by mitsu dealer)? Or is it something to do with the Wynn's lifter compound I added?

Is it time to change the oil again?

Big Ian
03-06-2005, 10:43 PM
i use wynn's and from christmas 04 till 3 week's ago my G only covered 1100 mile's between oil change's and my oil was brownish, but it was still smooth feeling? it might be to do with the additive, if you were loosing water or oil then i'd start to worry?
:thumbsup: chuck a flush in and go a blast for a few mile's before you change your oil next time.

every 3 oil change's i usually (on the 3rd one)add flush, empty it out then put in a cheap oil with more flush, give it a blast for 4 or 5 mile then empty the engine and refill with comma semi syn and wynn's "not a noise from my engine" and you would not beleve the crap that still come's out with the cheap oil + flush :rolleyes4

I-S
03-06-2005, 11:08 PM
Hmmm.... I wonder whether to give it an italian tune-up...

The amount of oil was fine, and no loss of water that I'm aware of (certainly none into the oil).

Mind you, it seemed to have used bizarrely little screenwash, and I've used it almost every day for 8 weeks... The GLS just seems to have a massive screenwash tank and uses very little. It was bone dry when I got it so I bought some. Made up one litre, all went in, so made up another, all went in, so made up another with the last of the screenwash and that all went in too.... gave up at that point.

Big Ian
03-06-2005, 11:13 PM
Hmmm.... I wonder whether to give it an italian tune-up...

:inquisiti erm?... what's that??

Kieran
03-06-2005, 11:24 PM
:inquisiti erm?... what's that??

Mamma Mia! Da silly man, he wanta ta know what an Itailiano tune-up is-a!

To give your Fiat, or whatever silly-non italliano car you drive a tune-upo, you simply add double dose of redex in da petrol tank, then spanka da car for a good few kilometros! Blow outa da crapola! :thumbsup:

I-S
03-06-2005, 11:31 PM
Or not bother with the redex... basically the italian tune-up is just running 4-5000rpm for some time (5 mins or so) to blast all the gunk out of the engine...

Big Ian
03-06-2005, 11:34 PM
NO.....NOT REDEX
hate the stuff /yes it can do more bad than good (sometime's)....it can /yes