PDA

View Full Version : TOOOOOOOO Slow

paulmc
04-06-2005, 01:36 AM
Ok the VR4 is far too slow and looking at what can be done within a reasonable budget it always will be.

It is pretty sad when even the wife says that it aint that fast compared to my other cars :embarasse

Less than a grand and i got 360 bhp out of my evo, same applied to my cossies

It would be easier to bang an evo engine into the vr4 than try to up the power much over 350bhp.

Maybe going back to a cossie. It would have to be a 3 door though /help

The VR4 is pretty much the slowest and most fuel gutsy car I have owned in a long time :embarasse but on saying that I really like driving it /yes

Looks like it will be up for sale soon /help

Sulli
04-06-2005, 08:20 AM
Does it just feel slow, which being a big car it always will. Even an RS4 apparently feels slow.
Or is it slow when racing against other cars? If so - must be something up.
I know mine felt different to my last car - 260 brake Scooby - not slower, but different, less laggy, hence less of a big kick - but when up and running the VR4 is quicker - proved against the likes of M3s on the road.
It'll be hard to get it as fast as your 350 brake evo, but it's so much bigger and heavier, what do you expect? Little else compares to the practicality and power of a VR4 - you couldn't carry a wardrobe at 160 in an Evo or Cossie ;)

enigma
04-06-2005, 08:24 AM
Less than a grand and i got 360 bhp out of my evo, same applied to my cossies

You can get close to 350 for a grand - you just have to work at it!

In terms of speed, did you ever 1/4 mile any of your previous cars? What were the results? Like Sulli says I bet it isn't slow, its just comfortable! /yes

paulmc
04-06-2005, 02:55 PM
Funny the sh1te you write when drunk :scholar: Drink in truth comes out.

Not raced anything apart from a vectra v6 thing which doesn't really count.

I expected it to be faster but then I always do.

Never tested any of my cars against the clock, I have points where I compare my different cars and I suppose the vr4 is not far behind.

The evo did 110mph the vr4 does 100mph at the same point.

I will prob keep it a while yet and see how things go if i ever get the e-manage fitted.

SGHOM
04-06-2005, 04:48 PM
Funny the sh1te you write when drunk

I expected it to be faster but then I always do.

the bigger the car, the slower it feels. /yes 0-60 in a two seater in..say 6 secs, will feel much quicker than 0-60 in 5 secs in a VR4, or similar.
never underestimate the performance of a bigger car, /help
I've yet to meet my match on a public road !! :smug:

enigma
04-06-2005, 04:52 PM

But where it counts I kick your ass! :inquisiti

SGHOM
04-06-2005, 04:58 PM
But where it counts I kick your ass! :inquisiti
where it counts, is the everyday use of the car. /yes
i've had many challengers on the road, & yet to be beaten !! :smug:
your 'old' car Dave, just beat me by 15 thou !! /grr /grr
but this year at the pod ?? :rolleyes4 :rolleyes4
. your title is safe ! :embarasse
my car is f$£%ed at the mo !! /help /help

psbarham
04-06-2005, 05:17 PM
whats wrong with it then mate????

nick-f1
04-06-2005, 05:26 PM
Ok the VR4 is far too slow

Sheesh! Cossies aint up to much, last year in cornwall for my nephews wedding his "best man" had a black cossie rolling roaded at something over 400bhp (superchipped) apparently and I whipped its ass around the cornish lanes not once but twice! And with a load of luggage on board in standard form!

Its as Derek and Dave say the bigger and more luxurious the car the slower they seem, whereas in a cossie its all rev/scream and tyre squeal noise it seems faster.

Oh and that dodgy nut at the wheel makes a big difference too :happy:

zentac
04-06-2005, 06:15 PM

Come round my house and we can go for a drive :scholar:

Kieran
04-06-2005, 06:20 PM
Coming soon to Club VR-4 :drummer: ..........A performance related thread which doesn't get hijacked by Dave, Derek and Richard comparing the size of their goolies! :embarasse /help /lol

HJM
04-06-2005, 06:22 PM
Coming soon to Club VR-4 :drummer: ..........A performance related thread which doesn't get hijacked by Dave, Derek and Richard comparing the size of their goolies! :embarasse /help /lol

PMSL - well said Kieran :thumbsup:

J

nick-f1
04-06-2005, 06:24 PM

Nah dont believe it Kieran. Ha ha.

Anyone know of a nice long 3 lane highway? :-policema :thumbsup:

psbarham
04-06-2005, 06:26 PM

i refer to my earlier post about the 2 mile deserted runway that is bruntingthorpe

zentac
04-06-2005, 06:28 PM

aaawwww, bless..... just cos yours are too small to compare with /yes

enigma
04-06-2005, 07:18 PM

Just setting the record straight.............VR4s are not SLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOWWW

bernmc
04-06-2005, 07:32 PM
If you get a cossie, remember to buy a burberry cap and some trainers to go with it :D.

Big Ian
05-06-2005, 10:03 AM

The VR4 is pretty much the slowest and most fuel gutsy car I have owned in a long time :embarasse but on saying that I really like driving it /yes

Looks like it will be up for sale soon /help

i know off a RS500, Black with massive,massive mod's (he's had it for over 8yrs) that's for sale...down side is he want's no less than £11K for it ...ohh yeah! and it was the first cossie to do over 200mph and had a nice feature in MAX power "kickin severn valley's cossie sapphire (touring car) to touch" and it was all hand built behind his parent's house :leer:
it's in Scotland, 2 mile's from me and he's my brother's mate :thumbsup: "it's mint"

want more info??

paulmc
05-06-2005, 05:54 PM
Ian, that sound some car :thumbsup: Just to expensive for me. I have just completed my course and will take a 15k hit in wages for around 2yrs. once I get a job that is. I prob will keep the car a while yet and see what sort of results I can get.

Not sure what to replace it with any way. Cossies do nothing better than breaking down so would end up having 2 cars then you have 2 motors to maintain insure etc.

For the cash I really don't think I could replace it. The impreza wagon is supposed to be very good but I jusy hate the scoobies, on saying that I really like the new ones but they are just far to expensive.

Audi RS4 but again a fortune to buy, maybe a people carrier and a toy but again back to 2 motors. I won't have a bike again as far to may of folks round here have been injured/killed and it just aint worth it.

VR4 it is then :thumbsup:

Now need to make it faster :2thumbsup :undecided :laugh: :joker:

Il Dottore
06-06-2005, 09:11 AM
It never fails to amaze me how this little chestnut keeps cropping up. Isn't that what test drives are for? To find out the performance a vehicle?
Yes, the VR4 (stock) is not as quick as you'd might expect. IMHO it is a stealth vehicle that may not be quick off the mark, but has the torque in the mid range to see of most cars.
Jeez people, there is no such thing as a bargain! If you want Sky Rocket perfomance, then pay Nasa prices!

michaeli
06-06-2005, 09:35 AM

M1?? :rolleyes4 :rolleyes4 :rolleyes4 /yes /help

d3x
06-06-2005, 10:43 AM
The M1 ain't the best place, after all, it's been done by Nagata himself!

Anyone remember this?

http://www.linney.org/topsecret200mph.htm

d

I-S
06-06-2005, 11:19 AM
Little else compares to the practicality and power of a VR4 - you couldn't carry a wardrobe at 160 in an Evo or Cossie ;)

Audi S6 Avant
Audi RS6 Avant
Volvo V70R
Volvo V70 T5
Merc E55 AMG
Subaru Legacy GT-B
Subaru Legacy Spec B

Can't really think of any other quick wagons that will do it... only one of those you'd get for VR4 money will be the Legacy GT-B or an ex- :-policema T5

paulmc
06-06-2005, 12:04 PM
yep, I need to keep my drunkn ranbling to myself in future :scholar:

Isaac, I would deffo have the RS4 or RS6 awesome cars.

d3x
06-06-2005, 12:06 PM
You missed off the best and uber alternative. The only other big estate I would consider is the audi RS2. (co-developed by audi and Porsche)

You can now pick these up for legit money...

d

paulmc
06-06-2005, 01:03 PM
On the face of it the RS2 would be a very good car. I just sold my S2 before buying the VR4. It is a very old car 1st audi 80 made in 1987 I think or around then and it shows. It had a cracking engine but audi packed so much fancy gizmos into it there was always something wrong, they even had an altitude sensor incase it boosted to much in thin air. Took me ages to find that prob. When it did go it went well. I bought the RS2 turbo and intercooler for it and had all the bits to get to 360-380ish but decided I wanted something newer and more reliable.

Size wise in the cabin the VR4 is loads bigger than the S2, I have 3 kids and there is more than enough room for them. My A6 diesel is only a 95 and is just a rebadged audi 100 but it so much better than the S2, Audi obviously spent more cash on making the A6 more of a luxury saloon.

d3x
06-06-2005, 01:17 PM
Didn't realise the RS2 was so unreliable, shame cos like you say the engine was a corker....

paulmc
06-06-2005, 01:36 PM
Not so as they won't start go etc but the thing would never boost, or it would boost one day then not the next. There was so many little pipes that could leak causing a boost leak or a wee gizmo would play up then it would stop boosting. most folks on the S2 board suffered from the same sort of probs. if it wasn't that it would be the fuel pump and then the fuel filter which meant taking the tank out to change it. The bottom pulley was a balancer type and liked to break taking the crank key, radiator, timing belt etc with it. I just thought stuff this I am off. But then they are all 12 years old or so, It has to be expected.

The engine, gear box (6 speed) and diffs are as strong as you like pity the rest wasn't the same. Thers are a couple of guys running around 450bhp on standard internals with over 100k on the clock and going fine.

D.J
06-06-2005, 06:31 PM
Looked at buying a S6 before I ended up with the VR4, it was well done on power compared to an unmodified VR4. Somewhere in the region of 225bhp instead of the mitsys (claimed)260bhp+ depending on the age of course.

-LegnumVR4-
06-06-2005, 08:30 PM
With the new pipe work on my car the thing is hauling a lot harder. On 7-8psi (stock) the car just keeps going to redline, bounced it off the rev limter a fews times now in tip mode due to the thing spining up so quick. The boost cut is coming in a lot earlier, try about 10psi so the thing is flowing a hell of a lot more air.

Once i sort out a good 3" muffler, fuel pump and E-manage i'm sure i can get this car to really haul hard.

These cars are restricted a lot from factory, the stock pipe work is ugly to the front turbo, goes down to about 40mm dia, mine is all 63mm mandrel bent.

Rhys

KiwiTT
14-06-2005, 10:34 PM
I missed this thread. Sorry Guys.

I have a pretty much stock VR-4 in terms of power, but it does have the suspension enhanced.

The VR-4 is quick. Very quick, especially on long windy roads. Fast 0-60,0-100,1/4 mile times is not why I bought this car. I bought this car to go round corners very fast and any mods I will do will be improving this, if that is possible.

When you can go round 45,55,65 recommended speed corners at more than twice the that speed, you have a really quick car.

Do not simply rate a car on it's acceleration and top speeds.

BTW: That is why we have dragsters and the like.