PDA

View Full Version : clattering suspension ?

SGHOM
05-06-2005, 11:43 AM
My front suspension is making some awfull clattering, banging noises ?? /help

I've just stripped both sides down, & can find nothing loose ?? [ I've had the suspension off a few times to fit new brakes ]
gonna take it now for another spin, but i'm not expecting owt to be different !! :rolleyes4 :embarasse

enigma
05-06-2005, 12:04 PM
It will be the shock absorber with no tag on!

SGHOM
05-06-2005, 12:17 PM
just checked them, & both ok ?? also the noise is coming from the off side.
anyone fancy riding shotgun under my car to see if owt's loose ?? :rolleyes4 :embarasse :joker:

RED
05-06-2005, 03:03 PM
Are you sure it is the suspension and not just something loose under the car like your neons or the wing liner?

SGHOM
05-06-2005, 03:28 PM
nah ! :embarasse it's a bit more serious than that. I really need to get it up in the air & have a look...... poxy trolly jack on my drive is no help. :embarasse
it could be a shock gone, but with having rock hard suspension, It's not easy to tell ??
It doesn't look like anything is broken, but to my untrained eye, I may be missing something.

RED
05-06-2005, 03:59 PM
nah ! :embarasse it's a bit more serious than that. I really need to get it up in the air & have a look...... poxy trolly jack on my drive is no help. :embarasse

For fook sake Derek stop beating around the bush - if you want to borrow the ramp just ask /help /lol /lol :smoking:

HJM
05-06-2005, 07:02 PM
PMSL - I know another Jane who talks like you :rolleyes4 :rolleyes4 :rolleyes4

H

bernmc
05-06-2005, 10:32 PM
Probably those brembos. Take them off with the hub carriers and send them to me - I'll run an extended test on them for you. A couple of years should do it...

SGHOM
16-06-2005, 08:15 PM
well, I've been under the car 4 times this week, & I still cant see owt ?? :embarasse
although it's a bit un-nerving having the car on the trolly jack as high as it will go, & then laying underneath trying to shake it !! /help
I've tightened everything I could tighten, but nothing loose ?? /yes

does this look right ?? I cant get in to look at the rubber, but it looks a bit offcentre compared to other side ??

psbarham
16-06-2005, 08:24 PM
the technical answer is, its screwed , i blame all those little bottles you keep in the car :rolleyes4

Kieran
16-06-2005, 08:30 PM
Derek - what about your engine/gearbox mounts? I wonder if the bushings are showing the effects of all those launches, as they'll be taking the brunt of it? :inquisiti

I-S
16-06-2005, 08:45 PM
Derek - sounds exactly like the noise I have from my front brakes. The discs clonk with a bit of play. Strangebat has the same problem.

SGHOM
16-06-2005, 08:49 PM
Derek - what about your engine/gearbox mounts? I wonder if the bushings are showing the effects of all those launches, as they'll be taking the brunt of it? :inquisiti
As far as I can see, the mounts look ok. see what you think on saturday morning.....8 am sharp ! :rolleyes4 /help

strangebat
16-06-2005, 10:44 PM
that arm you've pictured is the one that gets replaced under the ball joint recall, have you had you'res done yet??

tig202
17-06-2005, 01:28 AM
Just a thought......are your anti roll bar rubbers/links ok?

pezza
17-06-2005, 01:26 PM
Am getting noises too...

when going over bumps.. metallic sound as if something has come loose and is rattling around in the engine bay somewhere... .. It disappeared after some work was done on the car and was told it was one of the heatshields..... its now come back tho... Also advised that anti roll bar thingys (like tig mentioned above) could be causing problems... Hopefully will find out tomorro..

Also getting rattly noise which I think is front shocks... sounds like a dull knocking noise. Sounded like when my rear shocks on my old v6 had lost a lot of the oil
:thumbsdow

Not sure this helps u Derek :undecided

firefly
17-06-2005, 02:23 PM
This sound exactly like the problems I've had with my suspension. :embarasse

It's probabaly the suspension arms of which there are three on each side, a staight one and a boomerang one with ball joints on the end and also a u shaped piece.

It's not something you can tell until you get it up on a ramp and wiggle the suspension around underneath - my local garage owner demonstrated this for me when my car failed it's MOT on it :embarasse

If it is one of these parts and you need a cheap supplier I would recommend ATP Autoteile in Germany. I have dealt with them twice now and there are no communication problems at all as they understand english - as opposed to me trying to speak german!!!

Let me know if you want contat details - the parts cost circa £60 - £80 inc postage :thumbsup:

pezza
17-06-2005, 05:03 PM
Thanks firefly..

I remembered you mentioned this supplier before.. I wonder if the units are the same across all galant models?

:inquisiti

I may need to check that... gettin all sorts of clicks and clunks at low speed .. (wondered about brake pads clicking too when going from reverse back into drive?)

that with the hydraulic lifter ticking... .. :rolleyes4 :rolleyes4 the car's losing its stealth characteristics LOL

SGHOM
17-06-2005, 05:20 PM
whatever is amiss will be repaired whenever ! i just hope it gets me to the pod tomorrow ! /yes sod getting back........... AA can see to that ! :rolleyes4 /help

firefly
17-06-2005, 06:36 PM
Good ol' galant suspension eh?

I have a creak in the rear suspension which only ever lasts about three seconds into any drive - and I'm surrounded by bumpy country roads!!! :rolleyes4

I reckon that might be a trait in wagons (?) or mayb the droplinks.......

I can live with it for now!!!

SGHOM
22-06-2005, 10:20 PM
problem sorted. :thumbsup: my caliper fell off !!!! :embarasse :embarasse :embarasse

I-S
22-06-2005, 10:50 PM
Firefly - Suspension bushing drying probably. Mine used to creak and they lubed the bushings and it has been fine since.