PDA

View Full Version : galant saloon audio

scc
05-06-2005, 11:46 AM
What size of subwoofer should I get that would fit into the hole in the rear shelf of the saloon? 8",10",12"???

Has anyone tried installing one on the rear shelf?

Its difficult to tell when your looking at the cut-out hole from underneath.

Thanks.
scc

Zeke
05-06-2005, 07:59 PM
It's an 8" hole. If you are going to install one there get a good open-air one.

ANTHONY
05-06-2005, 08:12 PM
i was thinking that as well.............. next quezy? how do you wire it in do you come off the exsting speakers wires?

Big Ian
05-06-2005, 09:01 PM
.............. next quezy? how do you wire it in do you come off the exsting speakers wires?

nah mate, to get bass....good bass from a sub then you need an amp to power the sub /yes

ANTHONY
05-06-2005, 09:20 PM
nah mate, to get bass....good bass from a sub then you need an amp to power the sub /yes
cheers ian

scc
06-06-2005, 06:53 PM
It's an 8" hole. If you are going to install one there get a good open-air one.

Thanks Zeke

scc
13-06-2005, 05:54 PM
..just decided that I can't be bothered with the frustration of finding a dealer with a good 8" sub, and spending all that time ripping out my car to feed a wiring kit from my battery to the boot.

Decided instead to maybe...just maybe install a bose Acoustimass 3 system, replacing the rear speakers. There's no need for wiring from the battery, just plug in the inputs from the rear speakers.

Do you reckon I'd still get good bass and sound quality from the AM3 in a car, or should I just install a big sub instead? arrrgggh...cant decide now...

Big Ian
13-06-2005, 08:28 PM
it depend's how low N loud you want the bass to sound, but for best result's you need an amp and sub......or 2??
it's real easy to wire it all in and hide'n the wire's is simple /yes ...the hardest part is putting the (battery) live wire through the bulk head

:inquisiti what is a AM3 ?

konman
13-06-2005, 09:02 PM
forget fart arsing around with small speakers 3 ways.. 2 ways etc and so on.. bite the bullet, get a decent 10 inch sub and a good box and a medium amp.. it'll be worth it in the long run and you'll be happy. its already been said, but getting ther power wire through the firewall is a b@astard but totally worth the effort, i posted some instructions on how to do it somewhere and there are others as well so youll be sweet as mate.. go for gold :thumbsup:

Zeke
13-06-2005, 09:04 PM
..just decided that I can't be bothered with the frustration of finding a dealer with a good 8" sub, and spending all that time ripping out my car to feed a wiring kit from my battery to the boot.

Decided instead to maybe...just maybe install a bose Acoustimass 3 system, replacing the rear speakers. There's no need for wiring from the battery, just plug in the inputs from the rear speakers.

Do you reckon I'd still get good bass and sound quality from the AM3 in a car, or should I just install a big sub instead? arrrgggh...cant decide now...

If you do replace the rear speakers in the stock holes make sure you get good open-air ones with stiff cones as they will use the entire trunk as its enclosure. In my experience these are not common and more expensive. If you try to put closed-air speakers there it will sound like garbage compared to your stock 15watt.

imo, I would replace the components in the front to get a good soundstage, get a good HU, keep the stock rears as they are plenty good for midrange filler. Next get an enclosed sub like JL W7 with an amp.

scc
13-06-2005, 10:45 PM
decisions decisions decisions.

thanks for the input I'll let you know what happens...