PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre steering thing???

mpau009
06-06-2005, 01:32 AM
Hey all, i upgraded my suspension to some tanabe height adjustables about 5 months ago. It was great to start with, eliminated almost all the body roll, if a bit violent over potholes and the like. The steering was really sharp to start with, but recently iv noticed a sort of slack feeling when changing direction, you can still lean hard on it on the corners, but if you go from one to the other, there is a soft feeling, before it changes, its not a violent clunk or anything, just feels unstable, and like you have to turn the wheel that bit more than you should.
As far as i can tell, the shocks are still allright, if a bit old, and the springs are still firm, ride height's the same on all corners. Are there some specific things i can check? I don't get vibration when goin quick, or anything, but i have placed some 8mm spacers on the rear only, to fill out the guards, would such a small track difference cause this? Or could one of the diffs be on the way out?

Anyone with any ideas would be welcome. But if you could use simpleton's english, as i don't know all the names of the undercar steering bits.

Cheers.

mpau009
11-06-2005, 07:43 AM
Ha, hit a huge pothole today, there was a big clunk, and the suspension bottomed out, the car hit the ground and i almost spun it, next thing i know the steering was as sharp as the day i put it in, even more bizzare than the problem in the first place!! The way i'm goin, the wheels are gonna fall off.

Does anyone have a lower suspension brace? Does anyone know where i could get one in auckland?

Another thing i was wondering about, - what sort of problems have people had when upgrading their suspension, whats the first things to go, or vibrate loose?