PDA

View Full Version : Koyo All-Aluminum or Copper Upgrade Radiator

radsource
06-06-2005, 07:51 AM
Hello,

My name is Ken Kawakita(former employee of the Koyo Racing Department) and I placed a Koyo radiator thread in the general chat area but got no response. I was trying to find out how many Galant/Legnum VR4 enthusiasts would be interested in buying a Koyo All-Aluminum or Copper Upgrade Radiator. I will provide as much detail as possible by e-mail or phone if necessary. Please feel free to reach me at kenkawakita@hotmail.com

Sincerely,

Ken Kawakita

michaeli
06-06-2005, 08:06 AM
What exactly would it do for our cars??

radsource
07-06-2005, 11:37 PM
For those who are not familiar with radiator upgrades there are many advantages to upgrading your radiator.

One of course would be lowering your coolant temperature. With forced induction engines the added compression creates a substantial amount of increase in temperatures inside the cylinders. As boost is increased OE radiators will have difficulty cooling the engine properly. This is where a radiator with more cooling efficiency or surface can solve these problems.

OE radiators currently come in plastic tank/aluminum core format. The problem with plastic tanks is they are crimped to the aluminum core. With time this "crimped" seal will eventually begin to leak and a replacement radiator will be necessary. Koyo all-aluminum radiator tanks are welded to the core or technically the header eliminating this worry.

Aesthetically, all-aluminum radiators look much better than a plastic tank radiator and will last for years if taken care of properly.

I believe Galant/Legnum radiators are about 25-30mm in core thickness. Koyo radiators are 53mm in core thickness. Nearly double the amount of cooling surface and 15-20% lower temperatures measured at radiator outlet.

I'm trying to find out if the Koyo All-Aluminum radiator is difficult to find for New Zealand and UK people. From what it seems like you guys seem to have no problem finding a high performance radiator in your area. Please let me know if this is not true and keep the questions coming.

Thank you,

Ken

Kenneth
07-06-2005, 11:52 PM
Good explanation.

However... I have not heard of overheating problems with the Legnum/Galant. In fact the only reports I have heard state that the stock radiator is sufficient for 1.3 bar of boost in a warm climate.

If that is true, then for most of us there will not ever be a need for an upgraded radiator other than aesthetics.

As such, I don't think you will find much demand for them here unless they are dirt cheap.
Of course, I could be wrong, so good luck :thumbsup: