PDA

View Full Version : Time to get myself a new clutch.....

BraindG
06-06-2005, 08:01 PM
... wewt, money in bank now..

Im looking to replace the stock clutch with something abit more, chunky, and able to handle my desire to beat every man and his dog of the traffic lights..

now, i checked this forum, and was amazed to find my original exedy posts (posted in 2003) on the first page :rolleyes4 - looks like we don't talk much gearbox/transmissions on the site :)

So, anyhoo..

I did some searching in the forum, and found little conclusive evidence of which clutches to use... from 3g rx7, evo's were mentioned but nothing definate..

Does anyone know what kinda clutches we can use? and/or where to find them?

I;d also like to get a lightened flywheel, might aswell while im at it :)

Any ideas?

Dan_G
06-06-2005, 08:15 PM
Yeah us manually peeps are out numbered slightly :rolleyes4

I am also interested in upgrading my clutch to something that wont slip when performing a 2nd gear launch. :evil2:

Alot of uming and ahhing on the subject.... In my head I had came to the conclusion that the evo4 was the same clutch, not sure why though...

the only definitive clutch upgrade I have seen for sale is with funky products:-

http://www.funkystyling.co.uk/parts/item.php?carNumber=24&carMake=Galant&catTypeNumber=16&catType=Transmission,%20Running%20Gear&subcatType=Clutch%20Kits%20-%20OS%20Giken&subcatTypeNumber=333000183

I dont know much about these........ sodont know if they're good or not? One thing is for sure, they is dambed expensive :embarasse

BraindG
06-06-2005, 08:37 PM
yeah, i seen that Valmes posted that a while ago here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6559&highlight=clutch)

But that kinda money i don't have to spend :(

Someone must know if theres an evo equivelant version. Which, would prolly be way cheaper than that (being more common etc )

enigma
06-06-2005, 08:46 PM
hahahahah clutch smutch!

I wouldn't rely on an EVO clutch - seems they are sh1te!

I am sure that you can get one cheap and easy enough.......just a case of knowing the specs and scouring the states! I got an uprated on for my MR2 from Puerto Rico for about £175 inc shipping! :thumbsup:

I would be suprised if you cant get one for around the same.

Clutch (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7977750819&category=33730&sspagename=WD2V)

wirdy
06-06-2005, 09:42 PM
Does anyone know what kinda clutches we can use? and/or where to find them?

Any ideas?

A topic close to my heart..........

Don't know if you've done this Barry -
Standard Mitsi items:-

Clutch release bearing - MMR145619 £53.71+vat
Clutch cover - MMD771746 £119.55+vat
Clutch disk - MMD748527 £83.01+vat

Had a chat with some guys at the Autosport show in January -

Mardi Gras Motorsport, Unit 45&46, Silverstone Circuit, Towcester, Northants, 01327 858006

30% Uprated Organic Helix clutch for Gal VR4 2.5
Clutch cover £301.44+vat
Clutch plate £141.65+vat

When mine finally bites the dust I'll be going for a standard item, unless I can get uprated for the same cost as standard.

STILL CHEAPER THAN A SLUSHBOX REBUILD THOUGH!!!! :leer: /yes

paulmc
06-06-2005, 10:22 PM
I think the only prob with the evo clutch was the driver, Andyrsx did 60k on his first clutch running 350bhp. I ran 360bhp for around 10k with no probs but I never ever side stepped the clutch. Lots of the evo lads do this then moan when the clutch goes. They are reving to 5k the letting the clutch peddel ping out. Then you hear oh my clutch on did 10 standing starts ARE THEY MAD /yes

Not sure how the standard clutch would cope with the torque and weight of the VR4 though espacially if you up the boost and are running around 300bhp, not sure what torque that would be on the VR4. I was only getting 321lbs of torque in the evo but even that was quite high up the rev range.

BraindG
06-06-2005, 11:17 PM
well, this is my second standard clutch (replaced the original) - and its only lasted between getting my car back from vbj's till about 2 months ago (its not gone yet, but its going) - that makes the life of the standard clutch around 8-10k if you drive like i normally drive all the time :evil2: - im not going for the standard option again this time...

BraindG
06-06-2005, 11:17 PM
hahahahah clutch smutch!

I wouldn't rely on an EVO clutch - seems they are sh1te!

I am sure that you can get one cheap and easy enough.......just a case of knowing the specs and scouring the states! I got an uprated on for my MR2 from Puerto Rico for about £175 inc shipping! :thumbsup:

I would be suprised if you cant get one for around the same.

Clutch (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7977750819&category=33730&sspagename=WD2V)

so, dave are you saying the vo8 clutches fit ours?

SGHOM
06-06-2005, 11:22 PM
A topic close to my heart..........

Don't know if you've done this Barry -
Standard Mitsi items:-

Clutch release bearing - MMR145619 £53.71+vat
Clutch cover - MMD771746 £119.55+vat
Clutch disk - MMD748527 £83.01+vat

Had a chat with some guys at the Autosport show in January -

Mardi Gras Motorsport, Unit 45&46, Silverstone Circuit, Towcester, Northants, 01327 858006

30% Uprated Organic Helix clutch for Gal VR4 2.5
Clutch cover £301.44+vat
Clutch plate £141.65+vat

When mine finally bites the dust I'll be going for a standard item, unless I can get uprated for the same cost as standard.

Barry.......... I think you need to speak to Nige !! /yes /yes
AFAIK, his clutch has been slipping since he bought the car, & has still not given up. :rolleyes4

BraindG
06-06-2005, 11:27 PM
Has it nige? - slipping as in causing juddering when flooring it in 1st/2nd?

The problem with my clutch, is that i honestly cant say that it was a new one, since VBcrappyJ's "sorted" it without my being onsite. So for all i know it was a second hand one in there, or worse still.. it was never replaced, and i was given some other clutch to fob me off... /shrug who knows..

all i know its that its very jerky when changing gears, its juddering when flooring it in 1st/2nd and that the mitshyship mechanic said it was on its way out..

i'd rather not take the chance, instead replace it...

paulmc
06-06-2005, 11:52 PM
Alcon 6 paddel most of the big power cossies and now the evo lads are going the same way awesome clutch and price anit that bad.

EdmundVR4
07-06-2005, 12:52 PM
I got 45000k with my original clutch disc, replaced with ACT clutch disc...about 35000km with that. This includes numerous launches at Autocross & a quite a few at the drag strip. I would say the stock & ACT are very similar in perfromance & wear. They both slip with a high (4000+rpm) rpm launch (need a higher rated pressure plate to really get a great launch. It seems to me that Mitsubishi protects the drivetrain by letting the clutch slip before you can damage anything else.
I also use an ACT clutch & presure plate with Fidanza flywheel in my 6G72T powered 7G Galant VR4 and that combination has given me lots of drag strip launches with 1.7XX 60' times. (Best time so far : 12.339@107.39) It holds very well indeed.
According to my mechanic the ACT clutch & pressure plate for the Evo7+ will work on the EC5A VR4 & this is what I plan to use when it's time to change the clutch.
When last have you changed your clutch fluid ? This eliminated a slight "juddering" I had when the clutch engaged.
Regards,
Edmund

BraindG
07-06-2005, 12:57 PM
the last time the fluid was changed (that im aware of -zdey can you confirm) was when zedy replaced my engine in feb last year, but the cars been on and off the road during that time. so, cant really give a decent mileage count.

wirdy
08-06-2005, 12:15 AM
Has it nige? - slipping as in causing juddering when flooring it in 1st/2nd?...

No, Barry, mine's never been as bad as that. just slips when I wind the boost up to 1 bar & then only in high gears when driven enthusiastically. You can certainly smell it on the odd occasion when I've forgot or have ridden the clutch pedal a little by accident going into 4th or 5th at high rpm - that lovely burning clutch plate smell!!

Since I've wound my boost down to 0.9 bar it takes severe provocation to make it slip.

Yours sounds like a dodgy part has been fitted or the disk has got some oil on it or something. Were the engine & box split before you fitted the new engine?

It's a bit of a long shot, but maybe it's worth trying to clean the disk through the access plate with some brake cleaner - might just be worth £6 for a couple of tins of the stuff and douse the whole plate in it while you engage & disengage the clutch??

valmes
08-06-2005, 02:28 AM
Try SPEC clutch (http://www.prostreetonline.com/buy/spec%5Fclutches/)

BraindG
08-06-2005, 08:11 AM
Try SPEC clutch (http://www.prostreetonline.com/buy/spec%5Fclutches/)
So, evo 8 clutches fit then?
have you had any reports of these clutches? are they good?

BraindG
08-06-2005, 08:13 AM
Yours sounds like a dodgy part has been fitted or the disk has got some oil on it or something. Were the engine & box split before you fitted the new engine?

It's a bit of a long shot, but maybe it's worth trying to clean the disk through the access plate with some brake cleaner - might just be worth £6 for a couple of tins of the stuff and douse the whole plate in it while you engage & disengage the clutch??

Well, it may be... however since i have not had a problem with it in the past (i.e. since changing engine) i wouldnt think its a problem per se' (sp) i'd rather like to believe its a physicial wearing of the clutch thats causing it..

BraindG
08-06-2005, 08:19 AM
i'd rather like to believe its a physicial wearing of the clutch thats causing it..

Also, i have been, in the past giving it "laldey" off the traffic lights... was practicing my launches (much to the dislike of betty)

zedy1
08-06-2005, 08:59 AM
the engine and box fluids were changed when i fitted the engine. :scholar:

bluefox
08-06-2005, 11:46 AM
BraindG................ Mate im having exactly the same problems, shuddering and real jerky on the gear change............

Need to replace the clutch asap I think.....Had the guys at the dealership look at it and they said it was the clutch starting to die, but how far gone it is they cant really tell.... Clutch still works but the gear changes are startin to get pretty sloppy.............

BraindG
08-06-2005, 12:18 PM
yup /grr

Once i know 100% that the evo8 clutches fit, ill start investigating which ones to get.. the link that lames put up seem to have some good cluches..

valmes
08-06-2005, 12:30 PM
You might want to read this again... (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5583&highlight=spec)

BraindG
08-06-2005, 12:36 PM
You might want to read this again... (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5583&highlight=spec)

heh, oops... forgot about that post.. (i even posted in it.. lol). cheers!

BraindG
13-06-2005, 08:56 AM
Ok, im about ready to order my clutch..
However I need some reassurance from people who know what their talking about..

What I really need to know, or would like to be recommended is on what Torque capacity to go for. Seeing as we have hydraulic clutches I think I’d prolly not notice if a heavier clutch was put in. So, I was then thinking of what damage, effect, pro’s and cons there were to putting a “more-that-i-need” clutch in. I will eventually plan to get around 400 bhp, so I need atleast a clutch that can withstand that, and my compulsive need to go as fast as possible between point a, and b, and racing off traffic lights need to be calculated into this equation.

Im gonna go for the SPEC clutch, where from I don’t know, but ill use this us site as reference. (http://www.prostreetonline.com/buy/spec%5Fclutches)

Stage One: High clamp pressure plate, steel-backed woven organic disk, bearings and tool. Torque Capacity: 340 lb/ft.
Stage Two: High clamp pressure plate, segmented chatter-free Kevlar disc, bearings and tool. Torque Capacity: 395 lb/ft.
Stage Three: High-clamp pressure plate, 3-piece disc with carbon or ceramic material, bearings and a tool. ULTIMATE STREET/STRIP CLUTCH! Sharp but smooth engagement with light pedal. Torque Capacity: 500 lb/ft.
Stage Four: High-clamp pressure plate, 2-piece rigid disc, bearings and a tool. Available in 3 or 6 wing design for serious road racing and drag racing. Torque Capacity: 500 lb/ft.
Stage Five: High-clamp load pressure plate, iron disc, bearings and a tool. Torque Capacity: 710 lb/ft.

Now, I was planning on going for the Stage Four :| - however, depending on peoples reactions im open to suggestions/advise. However is 500ld’s OTT? Since ill only get to about 400ish BHP, would this sort of difference cause the snapping of diffs/gearboxes? Should I go for something a bit less?

As I will also be changing the flywheel I need to know which are the best, I couldn’t see any exedy, or SPEC ones. So is there a company someone recommends, from personal experience? (ill continue my search for a decent brand though)

Cheers.
Barry

valmes
13-06-2005, 02:29 PM
Fidanza or ACT flywheel for EVO8...

BraindG
13-06-2005, 03:40 PM
Fidanza or ACT flywheel for EVO8...
Cool, ill check em out.

Any advice on the torque values? am i going to be ok with a Stage Three/Four?

Kenneth
13-06-2005, 08:43 PM
I would go for the stage 3. You get the same torque capacity as the stage 4 but keep your drivability.

I have been in a couple of cars with rigid clutches and it wasn't a nice ride. Ok once you got going, but stopping and starting was ugly.
I suppose it depends on if you have to take your passengers into account also

BraindG
13-06-2005, 11:44 PM
I would go for the stage 3. You get the same torque capacity as the stage 4 but keep your drivability.

I have been in a couple of cars with rigid clutches and it wasn't a nice ride. Ok once you got going, but stopping and starting was ugly.
I suppose it depends on if you have to take your passengers into account also
Yeah, i was thinking... with baby and all.. but, i have absolutly no experience with uprated clutches, in a hydraulic clutch system... infact, any system :)

ako
14-06-2005, 03:40 AM
I dont really know anything about the torque capability side of things, but here's what I DO know...

For driveability: Get the heaviest pressure plate your left leg can put up with, and the best material.. Carbon/kevlar is bloody brilliant in this respect. What you want is something that can be slipped - ceramic doesn't let you do this. If you go for it, you'll be left with a crap on/off clutch that whilst it WILL grab like a scotsman to a $5 note, it will also be quite unfriendly to drive with around town.

My experience: 2200lb pressure plate, with a "heavy duty" organic clutch disk, withstood approx 350hp worth of 1550kg VR4 for over a year - and showed no signs of giving up either. Never slipped, was driveable enough that my girlfriend could drive it (albiet complaining at first) and it still felt like a stock unit when pulling away, but I still had the peace of mind that if I did come across either too much power or grip, I would only lose a $150 clutch disk instead of a $1500 gearbox.

How you drive it will determine how long it lasts, and how many driveline bits you break. I've seen twin plate clutches give up after 5000km because the owner took it city driving far too often and slipped it. By the same token, the same driver had taken to slipping it because the savageness of the thing was enough to twist the input shaft on his first gearbox... Nasty. And that clutch was just a "500hp rated" one. Bear in mind that a legnum is a big, heavy car, and will hence put more load on all its driveline than the baby brother which these clutches are designed for (And a note, even an evo 4 flywheel should work.. It is the same gearbox afterall).

The best way to look at it is this: The clutch is the fuse in your driveline. How big a fuse are you willing to put in?

scientist
18-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Does anyone know whether the Evo 8 Clutch disk and pressure plate will work with the VR4 flywheel

Nutter_John
18-02-2009, 07:52 PM
old thread alert

Yes it will fit with a spacer and longer flywheel to crank bolts

Nick Mann has been sorting out a package to sell on here

Gly
18-02-2009, 08:26 PM
lol,

should search a little harder

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36323&highlight=evo+clutch

Davezj
18-02-2009, 08:40 PM
very old thread!!!

i thought barry was back on here

Starscream
18-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Mines got an exedy Evo 8 lightened fly and clutch, spacer and bolts available from Nick Mann as Nutter said.

Works well :D

Wodjno
19-02-2009, 01:49 PM
old thread alert

Feck Me John !!

Is there no pleasing you ?

This member has obviously used the search button ;)

Cheers

WODJ :D