PDA

View Full Version : Its gotta go

colVR4
08-06-2005, 03:16 PM
Well, it had to happen one day I suppose :sad3: :bigcry:

The V6 is to be sold. My days of V6 Sport ownership are numbered :end:

We have had the V6 for 2 years now and it is time to change. I have so enjoyed owning the Galant and if the right car appears I am sure that I shouldn't have any problem convincing Nicola to go for a newer version of the Galant but with less mileage.

So, once I have had the chance to give it a clean and get the odd scratch and dent repaired, there will be a Black V6 Sport for sale pretty soon.

Oh, a sad day indeed.

Will I still be eligible for membership even without a Galant? I am hoping that I will still have it for Japshow but if not I will just have to bring whatever replacement the wife has decided on buying (but no BMWs /grr ).

Kieran
08-06-2005, 03:42 PM
Sad to hear this Col, but why are you swapping, if another Galant is one of your considerations? Is there something wrong with your current sport?

Don't worry about membership - Simon has a Skyline and we still let him in!;)

Sp this means you are wimping out of squaring up to the almighty Hordak in your V6 and buying something else instead?!?! :evil2: :evil2: ;) /lol

colVR4
08-06-2005, 06:34 PM
Nothing wrong with the current one other than it has done 108,000. Its just had a cam belt service and drives like new but Nicola seems to think that it is more likely to break down because it has high mileage. I don't know but since I don't often get the chance to change the car I am taking this opportunity. :thumbsup:

If another Galant is available, like I said we would consider. But it would have to be a 2001/2002 model with less than 35,000 miles and a reasonable price and there aren't that many up for sale with the right spec!

'She who must be obeyed' has expressed a preference for a similar size car with a nice interior, no boy racer bits (so Evo/Impreza/Skyline are out) but with a sporty character. I have said no BMWs (so no M3/M5) and we dont want a Ford (so no ST220, etc). Any ideas? Budget is less than £15,000 if we can but thats not set in stone.

I promise you that whatever I end up with I will pit it against Hordak, be it a 1.1L Micra or V8 Holden :D It may take some time to sell the V6 so I may still be able to match it against you anyway so don't go relaxing just yet Billy Bob. :evil2:

ritch_w
08-06-2005, 08:06 PM
Nothing wrong with the current one other than it has done 108,000. Its just had a cam belt service and drives like new but Nicola seems to think that it is more likely to break down because it has high mileage.

eh - just keep it - it aint going to break!!! If you have forked out for cambelt service- get some use out of it. Dont worry about mileage - as long as it serviced properly. I'm in the U.S. at the mo and the guys here keep their cars / pickups til around the 200/300K mark (and that includes US spec galants BTW)

As for other cars - there really is no other car that is like the galant - whatever version :thumbsup:

I-S
08-06-2005, 08:29 PM
'She who must be obeyed' has expressed a preference for a similar size car with a nice interior, no boy racer bits (so Evo/Impreza/Skyline are out) but with a sporty character. I have said no BMWs (so no M3/M5) and we dont want a Ford (so no ST220, etc). Any ideas? Budget is less than £15,000 if we can but thats not set in stone.

Volvo S60 (T5)
Volvo V70 T5
Volvo S80 2.9 (or T6)
Subaru Legacy (new shape) 2.5 (doubt you'll find a 3.0 on your budget)
Honda Accord 2.4 Type S
Jaguar XJ8 3.2 (late old shape)
Jaguar X-type 3.0
Saab 9-5 Aero

I think all of those fit the bill, and are all not-quite-mainstream choices (possible exception of the X type).

psbarham
08-06-2005, 09:15 PM
Nothing wrong with the current one other than it has done 108,000. Its just had a cam belt service and drives like new but Nicola seems to think that it is more likely to break down because it has high mileage.
EEEEEH ? mines on 132k and not a hint of a problem :thumbsup: mind you knowing my luck something will go tits up now

Kieran
08-06-2005, 10:04 PM
....it has done 108,000. Its just had a cam belt service and drives like new but Nicola seems to think that it is more likely to break down because it has high mileage.......

Nicola needs some re-education!! Seriously, 100,00+ used to be a mega mileage for a car.... Not these days, and especially not for something like a Mitsubishi V6. Whilst obviously the decision to change is entirely yours, I think, especially since you've just forked out a few megapounds getting the cambelt and stuff done, that you may as well continue with it.... Trust me here.... You'd be appalled at the part-exchange value - I should know, I've been looking to swap cars for something faster for a while....

AND, consider this.... If you're getting something new and less than 35,000 on the clock, it will cost... Especially something Galant sized. Think of what the money that you would have to use to repay a loan or HP agreement could be used for instead..... home repairs.... or maybe even something a bit older, but more special........

Then again, maybe it's time for all us non-VR4 owners with aspirations to grow up and mature...... I hear Mitsubishi do this cracking estate car.....;)

Big Ian
08-06-2005, 10:23 PM
eh - just keep it - it aint going to break!!! If you have forked out for cambelt service- get some use out of it. Dont worry about mileage - as long as it serviced properly. I'm in the U.S. at the mo and the guys here keep their cars / pickups til around the 200/300K mark (and that includes US spec galants BTW)

As for other cars - there really is no other car that is like the galant - whatever version :thumbsup:

/yes listen to the man /yes ....this is the reason i'm holding on to my GLS ive just looked after it toooooooo well to let it go (and spent some £££ on it :rolleyes4 ) and as for mileage i know of a GLS with over 245.000 miles and it's only had 2 clutches and a top end re-build, apart from the usual service stuff and normal wear N tear and it still crosses to Germany 5-6 time's a year my GLS has 93K and it feel's like it's just been run-in :thumbsup:
"Keep it col /yes "... :inquisiti or you could buy a good VR4 for under £15K /yes

colVR4
08-06-2005, 10:29 PM
oh if only it was that simple. I like the idea of the Jag X-Type, hadn't considered that one!!

I agree that the car is probably good for another 100k trouble free miles but then again I don't hold the purse strings and, lets be fair guys, if your missus said that it was time to change cars and get something newer and sporty which one of you would say "no its all right pet, I'll stick with this one that I've got thanks" ?

Someone is going to get a bobby bargain when they buy my car because it will have to be priced comparibly with others out there, so I won't get much more than £5K for it (if I'm really lucky) but when the budget for a new one is £15K why am I complaining?

I think the Volvo/Saab/Jag buy is on the horizon!! Unfortunately/fortunately....not sure!!

N.B. Thanks for the suggestions Isaac :D

ritch_w
08-06-2005, 10:32 PM
which one of you would say "no its all right pet, I'll stick with this one that I've got thanks" ?

your not wrong there mate

why dont you get a VR4 - if your budget is 15K - you'll get a late model quite easily

go on join the big boys - you knows it makes sense!!! :thumbsup:

Kieran
08-06-2005, 10:35 PM
.....so I won't get much more than £5K....

If you can get that for it, let me know the details of the garage you use!!! :rolleyes4 :embarasse :embarasse

ritch_w
08-06-2005, 10:38 PM
Quote:Originally Posted by colV6Sport

.....so I won't get much more than £5K....

If you can get that for it, let me know the details of the garage you use!!! :rolleyes4 :embarasse :embarasse

yep its not funny - £6.5K trade in, for a 02 V6 sport with 49K (half what it cost 18months before)

if it wasn't for shiny vr4 i would have cried like a bitch

colVR4
08-06-2005, 10:42 PM
I am lucky that the local Mitsi garage knows of a couple of people looking for the Galant. Apparently, the Galant has been getting some good write-ups in trading mags for buying second hand cars.....not that I've seen any of these 'write-ups' myself.

Anyway, they reckon in a private sale I could get £4.5-5k for it. They will take it off my hands for £3.5k, but I told them to ram that offer where the cave people dwell.

Big Ian
08-06-2005, 11:05 PM
our local Mitsy garage just sold a 01 plate for .........wait for it..............£9,950 and it was a GLX.........and it was an even more (to me) local guy that bought it :rolleyes4 "CRAZY"
i also remember being told by a sale's woman at the same Mitsy Garage "the price's of 2nd hand Galant's are healthy, as no one will part with them for a newer Mitsy as they have not renewd the Galant here"
and on my latest "un-decided" adventure i was offered £3K for my 98 against a 97-98 VR4 worth about £6-£6.5K

I-S
09-06-2005, 10:54 AM
And a seat dealer offered me £1700 for my auto estate (which are supposed to be worth more). And that was against a new car (not that I had any intention of buying it.... I was bored on a bank holiday lunchtime).

ANTHONY
09-06-2005, 05:16 PM
our local Mitsy garage just sold a 01 plate for .........wait for it..............£9,950 and it was a GLX.........and it was an even more (to me) local guy that bought it :rolleyes4 "CRAZY"
i also remember being told by a sale's woman at the same Mitsy Garage "the price's of 2nd hand Galant's are healthy, as no one will part with them for a newer Mitsy as they have not renewd the Galant here"
and on my latest "un-decided" adventure i was offered £3K for my 98 against a 97-98 VR4 worth about £6-£6.5K

sounds like a bad idea for mitsy not to remake a galant over here.. but then it could be a good thing for us galant owners as the interest could keep the price up a bit :thumbsup:i paid £8k for my 01 sport 6 months ago from a dealer with 24k on the clock and full warrenty

colVR4
10-06-2005, 10:16 AM
I may have someone interested in the leather interior in my car. They want to swap it with the Recaro interior in their VR4 but want to know if the wiring loom in the VR4 supports the side airbags in the V6 Sport. Is it a DIY job or a garage job to change the seats if they have airbags?

I think the guy has a 2002 VR4 saloon so the seat should be the same won't they?

Kieran
10-06-2005, 11:07 AM
I may have someone interested in the leather interior in my car. They want to swap it with the Recaro interior in their VR4 but want to know if the wiring loom in the VR4 supports the side airbags in the V6 Sport. Is it a DIY job or a garage job to change the seats if they have airbags?

I think the guy has a 2002 VR4 saloon so the seat should be the same won't they?

Nevermind whether the VR-4 Supports side airbags or not - If you swap, the SRS Airbag light in YOUR car will illuminate, because you've disconnected part for the SRS system and haven't replaced it.

colVR4
10-06-2005, 12:15 PM
But not all V6's come with the side impact protection its just the Sport IIRC. Is there not a way that you can remove the seats and reset the SRS?

I have been looking at what I can get for my car and the options of selling off the leather interior. It would be a straight swap for the recaro interior in the VR4 but I would get £600 for the leather interior. It shouldn't affect the resale value of my car though so I will still get about £4000.

adam_shaw
10-06-2005, 12:28 PM
Is the recaro interior not worth more anyway? Certainly seems to be harder to find.

A

colVR4
10-06-2005, 12:37 PM
Dunno. I thought that all VR4s came with the recaro anyway I think this guy just wants to know how difficult it would be to change to the black leather interior that is in my V6 Sport.

I haven't decided yet whether to sell it or not. I am going to see how much the car is worth with and without the leather option first. I don't think the recaro interior would suit my car.

Kieran
10-06-2005, 12:48 PM
But not all V6's come with the side impact protection its just the Sport IIRC. Is there not a way that you can remove the seats and reset the SRS?

No - it's a separate ECU. As soon as you disconnect the seats, the SRS ECU will see it and kick up a fuss. I think all of the V6-24s DID come with side protection, I'm sure. Certainly wasn't just the V6 Sports.

The only way I can see round it is to swap the SRS ecu with the VR-4 one and pray that the wiring terminals are the same..... Personally I wouldn't risk it!!

colVR4
10-06-2005, 01:23 PM
Yup, too much hassle. I will be selling the car with a black leather interior then.

ritch_w
10-06-2005, 01:50 PM
the VR4 recaros would be worth at least £700 - rare as hens teeth......

Nick Mann
10-06-2005, 02:01 PM
So does he want a tan leather interior? With door cards, wood pack and carpet? :p

Sorry - off topic!

Kieran
10-06-2005, 04:10 PM
So does he want a tan leather interior? With door cards, wood pack and carpet? :p

Sorry - off topic!

No! That's mine!! All mine!!1 (If I can find a set of airbagged Tan leater seats!!! :embarasse )

wirdy
10-06-2005, 04:18 PM
Leather seats are overrated IMHO :inquisiti

Hot & sticky when you wear shorts in the summer & freezing cold in the winter.

You can't wear a new pair of jeans in case the colour runs - in fact jeans are a no-no 'cos of the rivets anyway.

Give me a cloth seats anyday - you can also do silent farts /yes /yes

Vector
11-06-2005, 05:30 PM
if your after a new car .what about a nice new rover ????

they're selling for 2/3 original price on my local forecourt....

e.g. 22- 24k car for 14,995 ... gota be worth a look imo /yes

psbarham
11-06-2005, 06:01 PM
if your after a new car .what about a nice new rover ????

they're selling for 2/3 original price on my local forecourt....

e.g. 22- 24k car for 14,995 ... gota be worth a look imo /yes
especially that rover 75 with a v8 in it , Mmmmmm rear wheel drive and a 5L v8 :evil2:

ANTHONY
11-06-2005, 08:53 PM
i know you may be looking for someting different but it might be worth keeping an eye on this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18230&item=4555892099&rd=1

colVR4
12-06-2005, 05:38 PM
A nice looking Legnum, but we aren't really looking for an estate as we haven't got the space to park it. Plus it has the wooden interior that I am not particularly keen on.

Now if it had the recaro interior, saloon, with tiptronic, a year younger, I would have been a lot more interested. The missus and I are probably going to one of those car supermarkets later to have a look around. We prefer to go when the place is closing so that we don't get all the hassle from the sales men.

colVR4
12-06-2005, 05:39 PM
The V8 rover would be nice but I am not so sure about the service support that we would get and whether the warranty would be worth anything. There is speculation that TVR are going to buy the MG marque though!!!

I-S
12-06-2005, 09:38 PM
psbarham - the VR4 is more powerful though... it's a typical yank-tank V8 (ford); 260bhp from 4.6 litres.

Kieran
12-06-2005, 10:55 PM
psbarham - the VR4 is more powerful though... it's a typical yank-tank V8 (ford); 260bhp from 4.6 litres.

What's the torque output/curve like though? That's where the American V8s usually score... Anyone know?

I-S
13-06-2005, 11:17 AM
It's a bit higher, at 410Nm @ 4000rpm (vs the VR4's 363Nm @ 4000 rpm). However, if you start extoling the virtues of torque we will put you down as a diesel driver /whip :rifle:

Kieran
13-06-2005, 12:34 PM
However, if you start extoling the virtues of torque we will put you down as a diesel driver /whip :rifle:

;) But it's torque that makes the car go........

I-S
13-06-2005, 12:58 PM
Nurse! Get this man 100 RON IV stat!

psbarham
13-06-2005, 07:48 PM
torque is the bit that makes your car move , hp is how fast it delivers it , basically with no torque you don't move . so its basically the most important figure

I-S
13-06-2005, 08:40 PM
I know.... The VR4 isn't exactly lacking in torque though, and is a good couple of hundred kilos lighter than the rover. And the additional grip of the VR4 will more than make up for it.

And you wouldn't admit to lusting after diesel would you?

psbarham
13-06-2005, 09:05 PM
I know.... The VR4 isn't exactly lacking in torque though, and is a good couple of hundred kilos lighter than the rover. And the additional grip of the VR4 will more than make up for it.

And you wouldn't admit to lusting after diesel would you?
the diesels i am more used to need more torque than the VR4 can muster just to start them , and i shouldn't mind that V10 VW lump in something a bit lighter, you lot can slag me off all you want , i don't care , i like torque simple as that .