PDA

View Full Version : Tyre wear

I-S
09-06-2005, 07:26 PM
Two questions...

1) The tread wear indicators on the tyres.... do they indicate 1.6mm?

2) My nearside rear tyre is more worn on the outside edge than the inside edge. Due to a puncture repair, I don't know if this is the case for the offside. Is this a camber problem, or is it normal?

Kieran
09-06-2005, 07:32 PM
Two questions...

1) The tread wear indicators on the tyres.... do they indicate 1.6mm?

2) My nearside rear tyre is more worn on the outside edge than the inside edge. Due to a puncture repair, I don't know if this is the case for the offside. Is this a camber problem, or is it normal?

1 - Yep!

2 - Either camber or rear tracking is slightly out. Could just be that the tyres were originally on the front and the tracking was off on the front - then it's just stayed the same when put on the back.

I-S
09-06-2005, 08:16 PM
1) Bugger

2) They've always been on the back. I was going to swap them over, but the fronts are more worn than I'd thought... see 1)

Kenneth
09-06-2005, 09:18 PM
you will also wear the outsides of your rears if you like sliding/pushing hard around corners and your camber/suspension isn't set up to right.

My old galant used to have more wear on the outside that exact same tyre (nearside rear). This was due to the corners approaching where I work, in the morining when no one was on the road I would hurl around them. just about all of these were right-handers, which was putting enormous pressure on the left rear.

I-S
09-06-2005, 09:54 PM
Hmmmm.... my antics of late on the drive to/from work probably haven't been helping my tyres... This could be expensive.

Big Ian
09-06-2005, 10:40 PM
Hmmmm.... my antics of late on the drive to/from work probably haven't been helping my tyres... This could be expensive.

:inquisiti might be just about the same price to go for a new alloy wheel and tyre deal as it'd be for 4 new tyre's, fitted, balanced and tracking done /yes , OK you might want to get the tracking done even with new wheel's fitted :rolleyes4

something i thought about before buying my new tyre's /yes but if i was buying 4 new tyre's at the time then for another £80 quid i could have had a new set of 17" alloy's and tyres.

I-S
09-06-2005, 10:44 PM
I'm happy with the wheel size and don't want to lose any ride quality. Plus, I'm talking about spending £80 on two tyres... that won't buy much in the way of alloys...

DUNLY
09-06-2005, 11:19 PM
ive got the exact same problem at the front, prob about 1.8mm on the outside and atleast 3/4mm on the outside, think the tracking needs done and the way i drive it prob doesnt help it either, just going to get the cheapest tyres i can find off www.rubberball.co.uk (check it, really good prices, save up to atleast 50% from dealers) as i'm going to get new alloys towards the end of the summer (hopefully)

any1 know any good places to buy decent alloys at a reasonable price???

DUNLY
09-06-2005, 11:20 PM
sheesh i hate typing at this time of night 1.8mm OUTSIDE and 3/4 INSIDE.

Big Ian
10-06-2005, 12:03 AM
any1 know any good places to buy decent alloys at a reasonable price???

Gordon Hazelton, he's yer man :thumbsup: he's in Hillington /yes

I-S
13-06-2005, 12:12 PM
Right... Two Kumho KH15s ordered at £36 each inc fitting, balance, valve, etc... Less wallet damage than expected which is good. Hopefully the tyres will be up to the hype...