PDA

View Full Version : Best Alarm Systems....

ShadyNZer
12-06-2005, 07:50 AM
whats a good alarm system to get? at the mo i got a mongoose dual immobiliser but feel with the current thefts going on (was reading MMC Forums) just an alarm wont be enough, especially how thieves arent really giving a f^ck and not being much too cautious with their attempts (some dude got his front mount intercooler stolen from manukau!!) reckon in todays day in age, is just a normal alarm is good enough??

also ive had my HKS turbo timer installed for a lil bit now but while its timing down i cant arm my alarm, it arms the immobilisers but doesnt have the door sensors, it locks the doors tho but if they open up the alarm wont go off, anyone know why that is? it says on the mongoose box that it has a turbo timer interface and stuff....so yer anyone else have a mongoose alarm and has this prob as well??

/help

cheeeeeers

_simon_
12-06-2005, 11:48 AM
It's sad to say this, but a car alarm is only as good as the people that are around when its going off, as far as stealing stuff from your car goes. A few years back the siren would scare away the theives but now they'll just carry on breaking in and people will just turn a blind eye.

i3ooyah
12-06-2005, 03:13 PM
y wouldnt you turn a blind eye? the wind sets a lot of them off

ive got a dynatron & have had no problems with it so far but the best ones ive seen are the ones where you can upgrade the alarm, add things to it & also use the horn as part of the siren, when your horn goes off along with the siren. people notice that

Kyoshu
12-06-2005, 10:24 PM
Autowatch 5 star ones have a turbo timer and air horn upgrade. Auto arms after time down.

GroundControl
12-06-2005, 11:08 PM
I have a dynatron 7800 and a turbo timer, works fine /yes

KiwiTT
12-06-2005, 11:32 PM
As a Full member you can get a discount of 15% from these guys (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3865).

_simon_
13-06-2005, 08:35 AM
I've also got the Dynatron 7800 and a turbo timer am happy with it. I love the transponder in the key ring so you never have to disarm your alarm if its armed while you're mucking around.

kornstar
13-06-2005, 08:46 AM
what about the mongoose m80 series?

v8killa
13-06-2005, 09:43 AM
I have a Meridian - not sure what, but its supposedly the 'top of the line' model, and rated number 1 by consumers institute nz, and no technical data available from the net so people can't learn how to beat it

Turbo timer interface
glass break sensors
auto wind up windows when arm
air pressure differential sensor thingy
dual immobiliser
ultrasonic/microwave sensor
current sensor
all the standard bonnet/door sensor bits
programmable via PC interface.

and a HUGE blinking red LED

Had no problems with it

ShadyNZer
20-07-2005, 11:54 AM
^^ how much did that cost?

GroundControl
20-07-2005, 12:30 PM
I've also got the Dynatron 7800 and a turbo timer am happy with it. I love the transponder in the key ring so you never have to disarm your alarm if its armed while you're mucking around.

Yeah that is quite handy... my keyring battery is a bit flat so it doesn't work at the moment though, gotta get me a new one /yes

Oh, and if you have a turbo timer, make sure it's wired up so that the fans keep going when the turbo timer is on - I found out the hard way last weekend - turned the car off after a thrash, turbo timer ran for a few minutes, then it started pissing out steam and boiling water cause the fans had stopped when I turned off the key (something I'd not noticed before). :inquisiti

I'll be giving the installer a call I think...

v8killa
20-07-2005, 09:18 PM
^^ how much did that cost?

The car yard had it installed as part of the deal - I think it was $895.00 or $995.00 on top of the price of the car

mpau009
20-07-2005, 10:59 PM
what about the mongoose m80 series?

Iv had the M80G series for a year now, and it seems pretty good, my insurance company meant that i had to get a 5star rated alarm, and that was the best value i could find. Certainly brought down my premium, and excess given i was 19 at the time. My only complaint would be that the siren isn't as loud as some, but its still very noticeable (but not painful), and with triple immobilisers, hopefully the car will still be there, even if the stereos not...

Another idea which my dad has on his mustang, is a kill switch, which you hide somewhere under the dash, and disconnects the ignition?? might be a cheap addition if you've got something worth protecting. i don't know how practical it would be on a modern car.

ShadyNZer
21-07-2005, 10:41 AM
yeah i got a mongoose as well....only m60 tho but the dude who sold it to me said it was a 5 star one, sure its only 4 star...cheeky indian man :(

mpau009
21-07-2005, 11:15 PM
yeah i got a mongoose as well....only m60 tho but the dude who sold it to me said it was a 5 star one, sure its only 4 star...cheeky indian man :(

If you bought it new, it should have come with a certificate, with the date of install, and serial numbers, saying it was a proper installer who did a proper job and all that, as well as a 5 star thing? from memory, i think it was part of the manual that came with the alarm.

It was my first outright insurance in my own name, at 19 and being male... but for $750 installed, at the time it saved me $500 of the first years excess alone, everyone on this site should have an alarm for that reason alone in my opinion, crazy not to.

Has anyone got the whole GPS tracking thing going yet, cause i heard that the price had come down a fair bit recently??

Trow
22-07-2005, 12:12 AM
I have a dynatron 7800 and a turbo timer, works fine /yes

yep I have the same system and it's bludy great! never had a false alarm yet

dickytim
22-07-2005, 06:40 AM
False alarms happen because the alarm is not set up properly, I have a Glass break sensor as well as a shock sensor, the only way to set mine off is to punch the glass or break into it, the way an alarm should be set up, it is a real piss off that some alarms go off at the passing of a truck, this is why I rarely look when I hear one going off, too many tools have them false too many times.

ShadyNZer
22-07-2005, 08:51 AM
anyone heard of those alarms that send texts to your fone when it goes off and u can control it by ringing a certain number to immobilise it and sh!t? was bout 9 hundy from this place in manukau, be good i reckon coz i always have my cell on me,...

but that dynatron alarm sounds good, catch this mongoose up...is the 7800 the best/recommended model?

NAUSED
25-07-2005, 06:30 AM
hey i want to know where i could get a good quality siren at a good price because my one is patu and not working.

cheerz