PDA

View Full Version : Load / Towing Capacity of Legnum

Muffler Doug
14-06-2005, 11:03 AM
Hi All,

I'm new to these cars and was wondering what the max load / towing capability of the Legnum is.

In anticipation, Doug

bernmc
14-06-2005, 11:35 AM
Still haven't found my manual, but the UK law for trailers is:

Type 01: unbraked trailers - max. 750kg gross trailer weight or half the towing vehicle's kerb weight - whichever is less.

Type 02: trailers on overrun brakes - max. 3500kg gross trailer weight

Leggies are around 1500kilo's so 750kg loaded unbraked trailer providing your towhitch was up to spec.

Someone with a manual can look up the official line for you...

97_Legnum
14-06-2005, 01:39 PM
Well I used my Legnum to drag a full sized skip bin about 100 mtrs, and that was full of scrap steel.

As for towing, well I don't have a tow bar.

i3ooyah
14-06-2005, 02:15 PM
i heard its not good on the tiptronic box, maybe someone can confirm?

Muffler Doug
14-06-2005, 04:43 PM
Type 02: trailers on overrun brakes - max. 3500kg gross trailer weight

Well what I have in mind for towing is a twin axle boat trailer with a handrake (is that what you mean by overrun brake) weighing in the region of 1750-2000kg gross. Add to that four/five people, a fully laden boot, roof box, bike rack etc etc for taking on holidays....is it going to be up to it?

Don't like the sound of the tiptronic box being delicate to such circumstances. What is the most loaded some of you have achieved?

SGHOM
14-06-2005, 04:47 PM
one renowned member on here, towed a 4 wheel trailer, complete with another mitsubishi saloon on board, & still out dragged another car from the traffic lights !!! :rolleyes4 /yes /yes :thumbsup:

Nick Mann
14-06-2005, 05:08 PM
Surely as long as it's not stop/start all the time the auto box would be better? Or am I talking pish!

My legnum in road trim with 1/2 tank petrol is 1660 kg. That is with no-one in it.

bernmc
14-06-2005, 05:44 PM
Well what I have in mind for towing is a twin axle boat trailer with a handrake (is that what you mean by overrun brake) weighing in the region of 1750-2000kg gross. Add to that four/five people, a fully laden boot, roof box, bike rack etc etc for taking on holidays....is it going to be up to it?
A trailer that size needs overrun brakes, not just a handbrake. The overrun brakes are operated by a plunger-type towhitch - as the car brakes, the weight of the trailor compresses the hitch againts your towbar and operates the brakes. Chances are that yours has this if it was purpose built.

Pic below - you can just see the plunger behind the hitch itself where I've pulled the rubber forward.

mpau009
14-06-2005, 09:13 PM
i heard its not good on the tiptronic box, maybe someone can confirm?

Yeah, i found that when i tow our speed boat, in automatic the gear changes are really jerky, it thuds into gear, and it seems to stay in gear too long (like 5500rpm for regular driving). And after driving for 1/2 an hour once you take the trailer off again, the gearbox memory means it holds the gears for much longer than normal driving. But in tiptronic mode it tows our 1000kg+ single axle trailer up our 30 degree driveway with no major problems, except that the hill start thing doesn't work too well, and it rolls back unless you gas it. (i have also had a gearbox rebuild in the last year, so might not be so easy on older cars.) As for the 'recommended' weight, the people who put my towbar on said 650kg max. Apparently because of the braking considerations or something.

Muffler Doug
16-06-2005, 10:32 AM
Thanks for all your responses so far.

It looks as though the trailer does have overrun brakes and therefore wouldn't be a problem, although I think it it would be worth trying to get a heavier duty tow bar - if such a thing exists.

Still after the max passenger/luggage/roof load the vehicle can handle, if there are any takers?