PDA

View Full Version : Pukekohe Track Day - Sunday 17th July

p1_
14-06-2005, 11:16 AM
This has been sent to me by a workmate, anyone interested in joining me, he says the more the merrier :thumbsup:

Money due very soon though, guess would have to credit his account or something.

"Greetings fellow motor-heads!

This is a quick e-mail to confirm that we are on for the Raceway on the Sunday 17th July!! We have booked the track and have it for the entire day.

The day will happen rain or shine - if it's raining you just need to drive a little more slowly, and the hairpin can be extra fun!!

The cost is $100 per car that will be running on the track. I will coordinate for Vodafone people - and hangers on - in terms of information and collecting the money. We've had to pre-pay for the booking so I need to collect the "moolah" sooner rather than later. So, if you are keen, I will need a cheque or cash for $100 per driver/car.

Bring along a helmet if you have one, borrow one if you can, and if you can't its no problem we'll just arrange for some sharing on the day. If you have access to one or two extra helmets that would be great if you can bring some spares along for those people who don't own one.

So, this is what you will need to do to take advantage of this opportunity to give your car - and yourself - a bit of a blast:

- confirm back to me via e-mail if you are keen and the numbers you're bringing
- front up with $100 per person to me in the next couple of weeks
- fill your car with gass and put a bit of extra air in the tyres
- get yourself and your car to the track by 9.30am on the Sunday

At the track on the day, there will be a registration process and safety briefing, and we will split the field into two or three groups to run on the track at the same time. We'll fire up a BBQ for lunch - those with portable BBQs please feel free to bring them along - and later in the day we'll run some one on one drag races down the back straight, a chance to get competitive with your workmates!!"

i3ooyah
14-06-2005, 01:27 PM
i would love to enter this

if i manage to get some smaller wheels for the day then i'll sign up, 18" tyres r very expensive :(

maori_by_nature
15-06-2005, 03:50 AM
who else and wat other cars will b there???

bradc
15-06-2005, 05:49 AM
hell yes I'm keen :D count me in.

Will you be at the hamilton meet, I can give you the money then.

KiwiTT
15-06-2005, 05:55 AM
Is it free for spectators ? I may come down to watch, just to see what it is like.

GroundControl
15-06-2005, 06:26 AM
hmmm definitely sounds like fun - will think about it

when do you need to know by?

p1_
16-06-2005, 02:23 AM
Okay, here are the answers :thumbsup:

"1. Yes it is definitely free for spectators - they are more than welcome (and might also be useful for keeping lap times for participants!

2. ASAP for the money but lets say by the Friday 1st July. The main thing is that we can confirm that we will have enough people to make it worthwhile and keep the cost at $100. Yeah - would be fine to credit directly to my bank account - they would just need to confirm this through to me as to who has paid what. [a/c details available by PM to me]

3. Not sure of the field yet but it will definitely involve at least a couple of Porches, several Subaru WRXs and other Sub models, and usually a bunch of V8 Holdens and Fords. I will try and nail down the full field closer to the date. "

Its sounding good - great mix of cars

bradc
16-06-2005, 04:19 AM
my mum wants to know if she can come along with her CV8 Monaro, and some friends of hers too, so I might be entering 2 cars.

Will you be at the hamilton meet so we can give you the money then?

p1_
16-06-2005, 05:28 AM
my mum wants to know if she can come along with her CV8 Monaro, and some friends of hers too, so I might be entering 2 cars.

Will you be at the hamilton meet so we can give you the money then?

2 cars sounds fine - I'll check on numbers. Not going to Hamilton mate sorry.

i3ooyah
16-06-2005, 01:11 PM
i would love to get a chance to krap on a monaro :P

bradc
16-06-2005, 08:20 PM
Same, my mum still doesn't beleive my car is quicker :D

GroundControl
17-06-2005, 02:00 AM
I've had a think about it, and I'm quite keen. /yes

I also have a mate who'd like to bring his car along too if that's OK (it's a mini :))?

chris g
17-06-2005, 07:16 AM
I should be there - planning to bring the MR2 plus a new Mitsubishi toy

Pescha
17-06-2005, 09:59 AM
Not to be the stick in the mud or anything, but check with your insurance and mechanical insurance companies first. As I have heard that most will not accept claims if you damage your car on events like this.

Just a thought!

Pescha!

dickytim
18-06-2005, 01:51 AM
Pescha, true, your mechanical warranty will become void if you participate in racing, hill climbs, time trials etc, you are NOT covered by conventional insurance on the track but can purchase 1 day cover from the Northern Auto Club AFAIK,

I can't make it to Taurnaga, should we make this a mini-meet as well.
P1, I will bring my helmet so a racer can use it, and some stop watches as well.

p1_
18-06-2005, 12:32 PM
Pescha, true, your mechanical warranty will become void if you participate in racing, hill climbs, time trials etc, you are NOT covered by conventional insurance on the track but can purchase 1 day cover from the Northern Auto Club AFAIK,

I can't make it to Taurnaga, should we make this a mini-meet as well.
P1, I will bring my helmet so a racer can use it, and some stop watches as well.

Nice one thanks mate :thumbsup: Nice idea for a mini meet - KiwiTT whadya think?

Anyone else interested needs to PM me to get bank details to credit the organisers account (colleague at work) /yes Only Chris G has done this so far.

In terms of what cars are going, should be some V8s plus Golf GTI, Legacy GTB, E30 M5, Audi, Nissan 200SX so far. Dont have all the details from other drivers at work yet :inquisiti

Absolutely true about the insurance - so need to be careful eh. Had flagged this already with the guy at work and he has mentioned this to those interested there.

cheers

chris g
19-06-2005, 08:33 PM
Yep that's me paid up, bringing friends from work, and planning sessions in MR2 alternating with recently purchased Sports GT

Considering changing tyres on sports gt to new goodyear f1 gs d3 for, hopefully better performance than current kumho tyres - unless someone has alternatives suggestions for tyres for a 95 sports gt

Going to be a steady day though - no trackday insurance - have fun - go home with two cars intact

KiwiTT
19-06-2005, 11:06 PM
Nice idea for a mini meet - KiwiTT whadya think? No worries. It qualifies as one as it has made it to the front page of www.clubvr4.com

GroundControl
19-06-2005, 11:18 PM
...you are NOT covered by conventional insurance on the track but can purchase 1 day cover from the Northern Auto Club AFAIK
any idea what they charge for this? i imagine it's not cheap

bradc
25-06-2005, 07:22 AM
Right, I'm fully paid up, and the monaro won't be there. I can't wait for race day!

p1_
25-06-2005, 12:10 PM
Right, I'm fully paid up, and the monaro won't be there. I can't wait for race day!

Cool - think there will be 3 or 4 VR4 drivers there. cool :happy: :thumbsup:

amber
08-07-2005, 08:21 AM
gona come for a looksy
Can't wait to have a jack.
Can't race - i don't trust myself!! probably end up wrapped around a fence or something ! hehehe. the car is safer in the carpark!!!! I'm sure it's not like playing those car games on the playstation!!!!
:smug:

Pescha
08-07-2005, 08:41 AM
At this stage I'm comin..... Does anyone either need pit crew or a cheer leader? LOL just kidding... No skimpy outfits here........ lol.....

Look forward to seeing ya all there......

GO CLUBVR4!

Pescha!

bradc
08-07-2005, 09:24 PM
You could be a cheerleader, or you could take down my lap times :D

p1_
08-07-2005, 10:55 PM
Yep next Sunday should be a blast. Hope the weather holds out though :thumbsup:

Pescha
09-07-2005, 12:09 AM
Yep next Sunday should be a blast. Hope the weather holds out though :thumbsup:

What time do you have to be there?

NAUSED
11-07-2005, 01:10 AM
who all are going it would be cool if we meet up at a place before and all travel together there in a chain. just a suggestion.

Pescha
11-07-2005, 02:15 AM
Well if I knew what time it started (grrrrr) then I could organise a meet at the Bombays.....

Does anyone know what time it starts? Now I have de ja vu!

Pescha /Poms :bananadan

KiwiTT
11-07-2005, 03:06 AM
Let' say 9:00am at the Bombay Truck Stop for a 9:30am arrival at Pukekohe.

GroundControl
11-07-2005, 04:21 AM
From the first post...

- get yourself and your car to the track by 9.30am on the Sunday
/yes

i3ooyah
11-07-2005, 09:42 AM
which sunday?

p1_
11-07-2005, 09:59 AM
Date is in the thread title guys - details were in the earlier posts - sorry work has been busy and I've been a bit out of the loop here. For those spectating I guess you can turn up at any time.

cheers

bradc
11-07-2005, 10:12 AM
I think leaving at 9am from the truck stop would be the best idea. If we arrange to meet there at 9am, half of the people will probably be late ;) How about we aim for everyone to be there at 8:45am?

We can all fill up on Pescha's favourite 98 Octane at the truck stop too ;) I was thinking of taking a couple of jerry cans along with me as well, does anyone know if fuel will be available at the track? I'm also going to make sure that all my tyres have correct pressure in them.

Lastly I'm thinking of getting a 'B' service on my car this week. I'll try and organise it tomorrow.

I can't wait, only 6 days to go!

p1_
11-07-2005, 11:07 PM
I think leaving at 9am from the truck stop would be the best idea. If we arrange to meet there at 9am, half of the people will probably be late ;) How about we aim for everyone to be there at 8:45am?

We can all fill up on Pescha's favourite 98 Octane at the truck stop too ;) I was thinking of taking a couple of jerry cans along with me as well, does anyone know if fuel will be available at the track? I'm also going to make sure that all my tyres have correct pressure in them.

Lastly I'm thinking of getting a 'B' service on my car this week. I'll try and organise it tomorrow.

I can't wait, only 6 days to go!

No fuel at the track - but some available in Pukekohoe. Probably worth putting a bit extra in the tyres though :thumbsup:

maori_by_nature
12-07-2005, 05:57 AM
i wanna come and watch but my car is doing a massive haka at the moment every time it's underload it bunnyhops.... so good luck for those who are race'n.....

ShadyNZer
12-07-2005, 08:40 AM
Lastly I'm thinking of getting a 'B' service on my car this week.
where u gettin that done? im like 200ks over my 10k service :/ need to hurry up and get one...
a place around the corner but they done my last B service which was on $75 and took like 15 - 30 mins...pretty nifty...
$180 good for a B service or nah?

sorry bout the hijack

bradc
12-07-2005, 11:16 AM
I'm going to mitsubishi motors in newmarket, they are 500m down the road from where I work, and I figure they will know what they are doing. $75 is a damned good price, maybe a little too cheap? They are supposed to:

Check auxiliary drive belts for damage and tension
Check brake lines for leaks
Check rear differential oil level
Replace AYC fluids (Differential & Reservoir)
Replace engine oil (Using fully synthetic oil only)
Replace engine oil filter
Check brake pads/discs for wear
Check/Reset engine idle speed
Check all turbo pipes for damage and security
Check condition of the air filter
Check cooling system for leaks. Replenish if necessary
Check brake/clutch fluid levels
Check front/rear suspension for damage and security
Check steering system for damage and security
Check A/T oil level
Check transfer box oil level
Check brake pedal for travel/adjustment
Check condition of body

I'm also going to get them to do a full check on the whole car, they can have it for the whole day.

Pescha
12-07-2005, 11:27 AM
Check auxiliary drive belts for damage and tension
Check brake lines for leaks
Check rear differential oil level
Replace AYC fluids (Differential & Reservoir)
Replace engine oil (Using fully synthetic oil only)
Replace engine oil filter
Check brake pads/discs for wear
Check/Reset engine idle speed
Check all turbo pipes for damage and security
Check condition of the air filter
Check cooling system for leaks. Replenish if necessary
Check brake/clutch fluid levels
Check front/rear suspension for damage and security
Check steering system for damage and security
Check A/T oil level
Check transfer box oil level
Check brake pedal for travel/adjustment
Check condition of body

I get all the above done for $89.00 :thumbsup:

dickytim
12-07-2005, 07:59 PM
a fully synthetic oil would almost cost that alone....

bradc
12-07-2005, 08:22 PM
Thats what I was thinking Dickytim, the oil alone would be quite a bit, especially if my ATF or AYC oils need changing

p1_
12-07-2005, 10:19 PM
Currently it looks like I will not be able to make it on the day :embarasse due to unforseen circumstances - but its pretty much self-explanatory. Introduce yourselves to John as Club VR4 members, and mention my name (Phil).

Update from him below.....

"Hi Guys

Just a quick note to confirm that we are all set for Sunday. We will have around 35 to 40 people on the day (one or two of you still making up your minds), and will probably spilt into three groups to run on the track one group at a time.

Where
The raceway is located just South of Pukekohe township on Highway 22 - Buckland Road. Get yourself a map if you're not familiar with this area, get into Pukekohe and then you have to take a couple of zig-zags to get onto that Buckland Rd stretch of Highway 22.

Allow yourself around 45 minutes to get down there - and don't get caught speeding on the way, there will be plenty of opportunity for that on the track!!!

Once you find the track go past the first entrance which is for the horses, turn in sharp left and head for Gate 2, then you take a right turn down towards the track. You have to weave through a few buildings and basically you head for the big overbridge over the track - the gate and crossing over the track is by the over-bridge. We'll then park up in the pits which are on the inside of the track.

I've put a map of the circuit at the very bottom of this e-mail.

If anyone gets lost - give me a call on my mobile number!

Time
Driving on the track starts at 10am - so please arrive by 9.30am on Sunday. Track closes at 5pm.
You can come and go throughout the day if need be.

What to bring
Yourself, a helmet if you have one and a spare for someone else to borrow if possible, a vehicle and some food and drink (NO ALCOHOL!). We'll brake for lunch at around 1pm. Speaking of which - does anyone have a BBQ they can bring down with them??? Otherwise it might have to be a packed lunch or a pie from the nearest service station!

Format for the Day
This is still fairly loose but based on past experience, plan to divide people into say three groups of similar pace and/or people that know each other.

Cars leave the pits with a bit of space between each other and run for approximately 6 hot laps (by which stage tyres and brakes are very HOT!)

Next group then goes.
Depending on the day we may then run some quarter miles drags down the back straight or any other suggested ideas. When this happens the track will be closed for lapping.

Passengers can travel in cars as well - as long as they have a helmet (and trust the driver)!
The only passing that is allowed is on the front and back straights to avoid any possibility of brake lock ups or driver stupidity.

There will be a safety briefing at 9.45am before racing begins.

Other things I suggest
Check your vehicle, brake fluids, oil, water and its tyre pressures (these should be a bit higher than you normally run).

Wear something that is comfortable - wearing a helmet and concentrating is very hot in a car!
Bring a camera, stop watch etc

I'll see you all there on Sunday - rain, hail or shine. I'll be in the number TWO PIT - red Nissan 200SX , Rego YT6362."

KiwiTT
12-07-2005, 10:33 PM
I agree. The 4-5 litres of Synthetic oil would cost $60-80 alone, add to the AYC and ATF fluids you'll looking at $150+ in fluids. Tell us Pescha on Sunday, how do you get it so cheap. It may be worth heading south for servicing.

BTW: They might inflate the prices for us Aucklanders. LOL

See you all by 8:45am for 9am departure at the BP truck stop

GroundControl
12-07-2005, 11:50 PM
Yep sounds good, see you there :D

i3ooyah
13-07-2005, 12:17 AM
that suks your not going phil

p1_
13-07-2005, 01:04 AM
that suks your not going phil

tell me about it mate, never mind I'll get to the next one :thumbsup:

People going must promise to take pics and times and post them afterwards :happy:

bradc
13-07-2005, 08:54 AM
ok, it was $150 all up, they advised me that my ayc oil needs replacing, yet they didn't do it, and didn't tell me at all until I went and picked it up at 5:30pm today. Grrrrrr, so I'll get it done on Friday. Any way, back on topic..

I like their policy of passing only on the back and front straights, it sounds like there will be 10-13 cars on the track at any one time. I hope we still have plenty of chances to go flat out, especially down the back straight :D

I'm putting in a big vote for 1/4 mile times, and 0-100 times if they can do it too? I wonder if there will be measuring equipement there?? If not we'll just have fun dragging each other I guess ;)

bradc
15-07-2005, 11:43 PM
Does anyone have a helmet I could borrow? I was going to borrow one from a friend, but he is racing that day too. Thanks

dickytim
16-07-2005, 02:20 AM
yeah I do, any one that is racing can I sit in on a lap ???
Will record it on the digi camera for you :happy:

bradc
16-07-2005, 06:32 AM
Feel free to jump into my car if you want to, if I remember correctly you have MMCS too, you can control that while I drive ;) You can also control a stop watch :D

From what I can gather from above there will be 3 groups doing 6 lap stints, I wonder how many 6 lap runs we will get in? I'm quite keen to do some drags on the back straight too.

I've just finished cleaning my car, and I'm looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow at 8:45am at the BP Bombay Truck Stop.

Pescha
16-07-2005, 07:17 AM
Hi guys unfortunatley I wont be coming tomorrow, so I look forward to photo and video footage!

Drive safe, and don't do anything I wouldn't do! (that doesn't leave much haha)

Have a good one!

Pescha!

bradc
16-07-2005, 07:31 AM
We'll miss you! I'm charging up my camera now, so expect plenty of pics.

i3ooyah
16-07-2005, 07:36 AM
well i was planning on coming but i just got home limping on 3wheels

got a puncture, i hope some tyre shops are open 2morrow, *(#&@(#* expensive 18" tyres, next mod...lightweight 16's for road use

bradc
16-07-2005, 07:40 AM
Sorry to hear that, a good couple of hundred dollars down the drain. It isn't a small puncture that could be repaired? There is no chance you could get a tyre early tomorrow morning and still make it?

i3ooyah
16-07-2005, 08:05 AM
ive set the alarm dude, hopefully theres some tyre shops open

dickytim
16-07-2005, 08:24 AM
Hype Tyres is open 7 days GSR Penrose.

Probably one of the few.

i3ooyah
16-07-2005, 08:27 AM
aaaaaahhhhhh, thanks richard

maori_by_nature
16-07-2005, 12:05 PM
Hype Tyres is open 7 days GSR Penrose.

Probably one of the few.
that place is so doddgy i'd b carful going there.....

dickytim
16-07-2005, 08:24 PM
They probably are Maori, but it is Sunday, and he does need tyres.

bradc
16-07-2005, 08:51 PM
I didn't think they were that dodgy, their building is massive and the whole building is basically new. They made a good impression on me, although I haven't bought anything yet from there.

See you guys in about 40 minutes. Pity the weather is so bad

bradc
17-07-2005, 06:26 AM
What a great day, fun was had by all, especially me, Sam (groundcontrol), Phil (p1_) and dickytim (who got a free race at the end).

We were all hitting the limiter just at the kink in the straight, about 500-600m before the hairpin, and getting about 165-170km down the front straight.

We did much better than the Caldina GTT there that only hit the limiter on the straight once. We were also quicker than the Subaru B4's and GT's that were there, they were hitting the limiter just before they needed to hit the brakes at the end of the straight.

It was a little hairy for the first few stints when it was raining, but from about 2pm onwards when it was dry we were all going really really quick

dickytim
17-07-2005, 06:41 AM
Brad, you have me mistaken with someone else, I didn't race today.

bradc
17-07-2005, 06:55 AM
I'm sure it was you, right at the end with that red Subaru, hmmm it must have been Sam

dickytim
17-07-2005, 07:04 AM
Yep must have been.

ShadyNZer
17-07-2005, 07:56 AM
that place is so doddgy i'd b carful going there.....
nah theyre all good, most of my sh!t is done by them coz theyre only across the road from work, only thing is they keep putting their stickers on my car whenever they do something...cheeky

dreamer
17-07-2005, 07:41 PM
Cheers for entertaining me for a few hours guys. It was very enjoyable. Only wish I could of stayed passed 1pm.

Thanks Sam for the chance to sit in the passenger seat round the track. Was awesome to get a chance to be in someone else's car when it's getting pushed with no limits.

Big Thumbs Up :thumbsup:

dickytim
17-07-2005, 07:59 PM
it was a good day, good to meet a couple of newer members of which we signed up one and I have to get the info out to another, cheers Sam for being our high speed Taxi and giving us a lift around the track.

i3ooyah
18-07-2005, 12:49 AM
nah theyre all good, most of my sh!t is done by them coz theyre only across the road from work, only thing is they keep putting their stickers on my car whenever they do something...cheeky

hate it when people do that

lucky i only took in the wheel and not the car but i gotta go back 2day & get the rest of the tyres changed, arrgghhhh

p1_
18-07-2005, 12:51 AM
GReat fun, dried out nicely for more grip at the end of the day /Steeringw

only one (VR-4) casualty :thumbsup: of the day, hit standing water I believe :inquisiti Shame about the HSV rear end /pan

Cant wait to see some pics - yeah baby yeah!

p.s. Interesting to note that I did not have to use 5th (tiptronic) down the back straight. Did VMAX using 4th. Also its surprisingly easy to 'left foot brake' on the auto /Steeringw /Steeringw

bradc
18-07-2005, 02:41 AM
psst phil, you need to edit your post ;)

I found myself changing into 5th gear at about 180kph on the speedo, and cruising along the rest of the straight until the braking zone

NAUSED
18-07-2005, 07:17 AM
damn must of been good seeing Vr4's fly and beating subies

dickytim
18-07-2005, 07:22 AM
Yeah our cars are pretty quick when comparing to other standard cars, but the Red WRX was bloody quick.

p1_
18-07-2005, 09:09 AM
Yeah our cars are pretty quick when comparing to other standard cars, but the Red WRX was bloody quick.

Guy at work today told me that the WRX blew its engine right at the end of the day. Apparently its the second time he's done that at the track. :smug:

dickytim
18-07-2005, 09:16 AM
no rev limiter and 15psi, hmmmm good chance.

p1_
18-07-2005, 09:25 AM
These are from one of the guys at work. I have de-plated them to save any embarrassment (you know who you are).

Can you spot the difference?

AllBeItMine
18-07-2005, 09:29 AM
whoooopsie!

time for a new door and rear quarter... gutting.

bradc
18-07-2005, 08:18 PM
Allbeitmine, do you know of any panel beaters in the Newmarket area? ;)

p1_
19-07-2005, 10:12 AM
Hoping to see some more pics soon - anyone got any? :inquisiti

BraindG
19-07-2005, 10:29 AM
Hoping to see some more pics soon - anyone got any? :inquisiti
Would be good!

GroundControl
19-07-2005, 11:39 AM
Yeah, I've got 177 of them (at an enormous resolution), plus 2 vids that Dickytim took riding shotgun with me (which are 82 and 177Mb respectively, so I might have to look at editing those).

I'm working on resizing some of the pics at the moment /yes

p1_ - do you have the full sized versions of the ones above? If so, could I get them off you :)

BraindG
19-07-2005, 11:49 AM

If you want to select some of the better ones, or all of them, or something... you can upload em directly to website, and ill transfer to gallery.

p1_
19-07-2005, 09:47 PM
Yeah, I've got 177 of them (at an enormous resolution), plus 2 vids that Dickytim took riding shotgun with me (which are 82 and 177Mb respectively, so I might have to look at editing those).

p1_ - do you have the full sized versions of the ones above? If so, could I get them off you :)

Fantastic - particularly interested in a few of me (what else? :smug: ), will either PM or email the larger versions to you. :thumbsup: