PDA

View Full Version : First Mod on my VR4

colVR4
21-06-2005, 10:06 PM
Nice induction sound :thumbsup:

Swapped the Induction Kit from the V6 to the VR4 and all I can say is WOW!! The first time I buried the throttle I thought there must be a leak or the air filter had fallen off. I was worried about passing wildlife being sucked in.

Nope, just lots of induction. Just got to fit the decat and it will be breathing a lot better.

Now....whats inexpensive mods can I go for after that? (Wife won't let me spend too much for a while since I just bought it) /grr /help

Wouter
21-06-2005, 10:56 PM
Hmmm..... Mods.......

I have one short word for you......

NOS

Smokinmasta2
22-06-2005, 12:05 AM

Swapped the Induction Kit from the V6 to the VR4 and all I can say is WOW!! The first time I buried the throttle I thought there must be a leak or the air filter had fallen off. I was worried about passing wildlife being sucked in.

Nope, just lots of induction. Just got to fit the decat and it will be breathing a lot better.

Now....whats inexpensive mods can I go for after that? (Wife won't let me spend too much for a while since I just bought it) /grr /help

Give us a pic then m8 - mine is waste of time!!??

Smokin..............

ritch_w
22-06-2005, 07:47 AM

Nope, just lots of induction.

by this do you mean that the kit actually worked and a noticable impovement in performance was gained???? :thumbsup:

what kit is it????

colVR4
22-06-2005, 08:38 AM
To hell with performance gain; it justs sounds tasty. It does feel a little smoother through the shifts and seems to pull harder at higher speeds (apparently.. if I were to do this on her majesty's highway). No idea if there is any real hp increase but I think I read a thread where these things were tested in FTOs and they did show performance increases.

I need to give it a better cold air feed before there will be any real improvement. The kit is one that I got of fleabay. It is just a MAF adapter and a universal cone. If I do want to upgrade it should be quite easy now that I have the adapter, I just need a replacement filter to go on it. Cost me about £20.

NOS will definately be one of the last mods. I am not getting the car ready for low 1/4s just general driving so I don't think NOS is cost effective at this point.

colVR4
22-06-2005, 12:41 PM
Just filled up again, 180.5 miles used 39.6 litres since Sunday. I think that works out as 24.7 ish mpg. Nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be and I have been having a bit of fun around the back roads!! But what the hell, even if it was doing 10 mpg I would still be driving it. :D

Kieran
22-06-2005, 02:54 PM
Just filled up again, 180.5 miles used 39.6 litres since Sunday. I think that works out as 24.7 ish mpg. Nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be and I have been having a bit of fun around the back roads!! But what the hell, even if it was doing 10 mpg I would still be driving it. :D

According to this calculator (Click Here) (http://www.robinwhite.fsnet.co.uk/conv/mpg.htm)

That works out at 20.7 mpg.... :inquisiti

nick-f1
22-06-2005, 08:19 PM
According to this calculator (Click Here) (http://www.robinwhite.fsnet.co.uk/conv/mpg.htm)

That works out at 20.7 mpg.... :inquisiti

Bah I`ve long since stopped working out fuel consumption........ too depressing and it made me too cost concious and ended up like driving Miss Daisy. Did manage about 26mpg at legal motorway speeds once. :-policema

ANTHONY
22-06-2005, 09:24 PM
To hell with performance gain; it justs sounds tasty. It does feel a little smoother through the shifts and seems to pull harder at higher speeds (apparently.. if I were to do this on her majesty's highway). No idea if there is any real hp increase but I think I read a thread where these things were tested in FTOs and they did show performance increases.

I need to give it a better cold air feed before there will be any real improvement. The kit is one that I got of fleabay. It is just a MAF adapter and a universal cone. If I do want to upgrade it should be quite easy now that I have the adapter, I just need a replacement filter to go on it. Cost me about £20.

NOS will definately be one of the last mods. I am not getting the car ready for low 1/4s just general driving so I don't think NOS is cost effective at this point.

if your interested i have a simota HKS style intake that i fitted but took it off after about 5 miles as i did not notice any difference i now have a k&n panel filter it's yours for £15.00

colVR4
22-06-2005, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the offer mate, but at the moment I am going to stick with what I have and see if it does make a difference. I realise that it may not make a huge difference to performance (probably 4-5hp) but I do like the induction sound.

scc
23-06-2005, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the offer mate, but at the moment I am going to stick with what I have and see if it does make a difference. I realise that it may not make a huge difference to performance (probably 4-5hp) but I do like the induction sound.

Did the induction kit made any noticeable difference in power/mpg/sound etc on your V6?

Cheers,
Scc

colVR4
23-06-2005, 10:29 PM
Its hard to say. I have put the original airbox back on ready for its sale and I must admit that it does not seem to pull as hard, especially in the lower rev bands. Could just be the fact that I have been driving a VR4 around for a while now :D

It does add to the sound though and increases the V6 growl at WOT.

scc
23-06-2005, 10:38 PM
Its hard to say. I have put the original airbox back on ready for its sale and I must admit that it does not seem to pull as hard, especially in the lower rev bands. Could just be the fact that I have been driving a VR4 around for a while now :D

It does add to the sound though and increases the V6 growl at WOT.

Thanks for that. I'll try out my bonnet prop removal mod to see if there is a difference, and then I'll consider the induction.