PDA

View Full Version : I've got a serious problem. Can't get the wheels off

Brind
22-06-2005, 08:18 PM
Hi
I've got those stupid locking wheel nuts on my car with those 3 holes and the adapter with the 3 prongs inside.
I have 2 of these nuts to remove, both rears are ok.

Who ever put them on originally put them on too tight with an impact wrench.

The first one I tried had already been atempted to be removed before because the 3 holes merged into one another, enough to allow the adapter to simply slip and do nothing.
No option but to drill it, which I have done, unfortunately it's proving to be an utter bastard now, damn typical the bit you want strong is as soft as sh1t! but the bit I'm struggling with now is killing drill bits and making it seriously difficult to remove the wheel.

The only option is to carry on drilling away at it, until I can split it off.

I may have the option to actually drill into the center of the stud and get it off this way, I'm sure that would work easier... BUT
If I drill this stud effectively leaving the car with only 4 out of the 5, that is not good!

What is this the part that has these studs on them? can it be replaced? is it easy to remove? is it part of the disc and would getting new discs come with these studs?

I haven't even started on the other side yet! :sick:

psbarham
22-06-2005, 08:45 PM
have a word with mo , he should have some drive flanges , to take them off its a case of removing the brake disc and then undoing the big nut in the middle and pull the flange off :rolleyes4 (you'll probably need a set of pullers for this :embarasse )in true haynes fashion refitting is the reverse of removal

v8killa
22-06-2005, 08:54 PM
The studs were replaceable on my mitsi van I had years ago, they just push through (with some persuasion) or get a high quality socket from a set and hammer it onto the offending nut, assuming you have space around it, if its decent quality it wont split and will cut into the lock nut, then just use the 'strong arm' from the set to undo.
Have done that more than once, but the socket is generally unusable afterward

Good luck

SGHOM
22-06-2005, 09:24 PM
take it to you're local kwik-fit, they'll have them off in no time ! /yes /yes

I-S
22-06-2005, 09:38 PM
As I discovered...

The same thing happened to me with those POS mitsubishi nuts.

What you need to do is this:

1) Chisel rotating collar off with a hard screwdriver or similar
2) Using a BIG hammer, bash a HARD socket (17mm probably) onto the nut.
3) Use a very long lever to turn it. If you're unlucky (as Kieran and Derek and I were with mine) then the socket will rotate and the nut will stay fast. Otherwise you should now have it off. If the socket rotates, try a smaller one...
4) If that fails, go to kwik fit and get them to do it by the same process.
5) Once done, throw away POS mitsubishi locking wheel nuts and replace with McGards.

Big Ian
22-06-2005, 10:07 PM
ORRRRR if all above fail's go give a "wee NED in a joggie suit" £10 an he'll have them owf in no time! :rolleyes4
they've got finger's like mole grip's........ :inquisiti only with more grip :rolleyes4
Good Luck :thumbsup:

Slimshady
22-06-2005, 10:18 PM
DON’T PANIC!!!!!!! (same thing happened to me)

You need to go to the nearest tyre garage – they will have a set of splined sockets – they will remove the weaker over cover of the nut and hammer the socket into place – next they will use a very large torque wrench (or bar) and jobs a good n.

Unfortunately you will be left in the same place as me ---- nutless :embarasse (luckily I had the originals in the boot) but I could still do with some sensible locknuts if anyone knows a good source. /yes

I-S
22-06-2005, 10:46 PM
Slim - Mcgard is what you want. I got mine from PRI racing. http://www.priracing.co.uk/

Part number you want is 24157SU (normal) or 24157SL (ultra).

SHHHH! Halfords sell them too...

Slimshady
22-06-2005, 10:54 PM
Thanks M8 - anything is better than std mitsi locknuts (chewing gum – super glue etc) – cant see image but I think I will order some of these – on your recommendations.

Slim

Brind
22-06-2005, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I'll try as suggested with the other side.

I'll have to continue with the other as this bitch ain't gonna beat me!! /grr

I'll also get some McGard nuts because I don't have any normal nuts to replace the crappy ones with anyway.

Thanks again.

wirdy
22-06-2005, 11:39 PM
you need these (http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=109639) Mark.
I'm sure Draper do the same too.

if you've damaged it, the wheel studs are splined at the base and are knocked out through the back. Simple to pull a new one though using a wheel nut. Watched the RAC man do this for me at the roadside when one of my studs sheared off.

Brind
23-06-2005, 10:30 PM
Thanks Nigel, that's news I wanted to hear.

ANTHONY
23-06-2005, 10:35 PM
you need these (http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=109639) Mark.
I'm sure Draper do the same too.

if you've damaged it, the wheel studs are splined at the base and are knocked out through the back. Simple to pull a new one though using a wheel nut. Watched the RAC man do this for me at the roadside when one of my studs sheared off.
so that now makes locking wheel nuts a waste of :annoyed:time

wirdy
23-06-2005, 11:07 PM
so that now makes locking wheel nuts a waste of :annoyed:time

If you're foolish enough to park your car in a quiet, dark area....and someone wants your wheels...they'll have them, locking nuts or not.

Locking nuts are like most anti-theft products - they're there to put off the opportunist thief. All products can be defeated with time & equipment.

When I bought my car it didn't have a key nut for the locking wheel nuts. The dealer just brought out a commercial kit in a small attache case that contained loads of different locking nut masters. It took all of 2 mins to find one that fitted. If dealers can get them, so can the criminal elements of our society. /yes

I-S
27-06-2005, 10:43 AM
I'd like to see them master key a mcgard (ok, no I wouldn't, but the design stops it and there's around 10000 logical combos). Also, those threaded locking nut removers won't work on the high-security version of the mcgards with the hardened rotating collar.

Of course they're not infallible... nothing is, but they will deter all but the most committed theif. Put two different sets of locking nuts on and you'll REALLY pee them off.

strangebat
27-06-2005, 09:59 PM
If you're foolish enough to park your car in a quiet, dark area....and someone wants your wheels...they'll have them, locking nuts or not.

As I think was proved here
bernie (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,4484-1544715,00.html)

now I wonder if he had locking nuts on them /Hmmm

Brind
27-06-2005, 10:49 PM
17mm socket shifted the bastard!! took two of them though, I'd love to meet the guy who put it on, I'd give a swift kick to the bollocks! for that!!!