4) Road noise is a bit annoying
5) A bit of a rust magnet
6) You can't stop looking over your shoulder over it

My VR4 rant:
...I'll let you know if I ever get one. Is the fuel
consumption really worth it? I dare not get into one
in case I do want it...

My GLS, V6 and Virtual Reality4 rave:
...well, I'm sure you can read the forums :)

Big Ian
23-06-2005, 08:32 AM
SCC WROTE:
My GLS rant:

1) brakes on the GLS are no good
2) handling is poor
3) acceleration feels awful after driving the V6
4) Road noise is terrible

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MY GLS
1) brakes are superb
2) handling is great for country & major road's
3) pick's up really well (of the mark & accelerting, not far off a V6)
4) good sound system and a set of duel's....what road noise?
5) ive never saw a rusty GLS, V6 or VR4...well not an 8G
6) other's can't stop stare'n at my GLS

colVR4
23-06-2005, 08:46 AM
I was expecting the acceleration in the VR4 to be neck snapping but its not!! BUT that doesn't mean it doesn't accelerate like a good 'un. The reason is that the power comes on so smoothly that you don't really notice unless you are a passenger or you are passing things.

This morning on the way into work I had to overtake some cars who just weren't bothering to even attempt to get past a truck driving at 40mph. There were three of them then the truck so I thought, I'll get past one or two and pull in....

....before you know it I am past all three and the truck and rapidly approaching a ton!! Awesome, but it just kicked down a cog and poured on the power soooo smoothly.

I-S
23-06-2005, 08:51 AM

Try a set of drilled/grooved discs and fast road pads. They're much better then.

2) handling is poor

For the sort of car it is, that just isn't true. It wiped the floor with X-reg Audi A4, 04 Vauxhall Zafira and 05 Toyota Avensis T3-S hire cars I've had lately.

Unsurprising... however, it seems to have more go than most people on the roads are actually prepared to use... someone this morning was very pi$$ed off with me because I was "holding them up" by driving at 30 in the 30 limit in my village and then taking off at the NSL sign where he was planning his passing manoeuver.

Agreed. This is the thing that mainly bothers me about it on the road.

Not got any real rust problems on my '98, although there's a little in the rear arches that might be good to get rid of before it spreads.

It shames most other cars in the car park. If I've parked somewhere visible from the office I can't stop looking at it when I walk past the window, and I've had it two years...

Looking at your V6 rant notes, is the road noise on the V6 less?

Big Ian
23-06-2005, 11:17 AM
must say though.....my GLS is a bit quicker than standard but when i drove interlec's (Derek's) car after japfest..............MMMMMmmmmmmm it was nice so smooth and so "un-noticeably quick", till i looked at the speedo :leer: only running halve boost too /yes at first it felt exact same to drive as my own car, then on a straight bit of road......WOW!! :smug: (just writing this make's me grinn again) also no V6 or 2 ltr galant can do what we were doing on Castle combe that morning :rolleyes4 :smug:

scc
23-06-2005, 07:32 PM
Looking at your V6 rant notes, is the road noise on the V6 less?

Its not that much different, but the difference could be the engine noises.
The engine noise from the GLS engine roars but you sit there thinking...where's the power. Whereas the V6 purrs like a pussy cat and sounds more like a deep comfortable growl...but you notice that there is power there i.e. up hills, but not necessarily in speed -> you get the feeling of crouching tiger hidden dragon, but you still think where is the speed?

Scc

Kieran
23-06-2005, 07:49 PM
Hmmmm.........

I shall compose my thoughs and comment later..... :scholar:

scc
23-06-2005, 08:17 PM
Hmmmm.........

I can't wait! :drummer: /yes

Just to note that your V6 manual may feel different to the V6 auto version.

ANTHONY
23-06-2005, 08:17 PM
:sweethear:iloveyou:i love my car

nick-f1
23-06-2005, 08:24 PM
Hmmmm.........

I wonder why he bothers to have either Kieran... as the rave column seems decidedly slim ie: there isn`t one. :pimp2:

Paul Beazer
23-06-2005, 10:18 PM
I love my V6 :smitten:
For my needs it great!!
I can t stop looking at it, even in shop windows when im driving it! Still not sure about the blacked out windows, but hey they're there. It looks well mean from the front.
Im gonna get myself into trouble though, 'cos that speedo goes up toooo quickly in town. "Im sorry officer but i love the sound of my engine at 4000rpm!"
Actually I wish mine was a bit louder.
Brakes are a bit poo if you keep leaning on them, but hey it a big car and a bit of money spent on some proper disks and pads would sort it.
Front end needs lowering by 2", looks a bit odd and far too high.
Air con is great, lovely and cool even in this heatwave.
New manual gearboxes are expensive.....

All in all.....

TOP CAR!!! :thumbsup:

ANTHONY
23-06-2005, 10:24 PM
For my needs it great!!
I can t stop looking at it, even in shop windows when im driving it! Still not sure about the blacked out windows, but hey they're there. It looks well mean from the front.
Im gonna get myself into trouble though, 'cos that speedo goes up toooo quickly in town. "Im sorry officer but i love the sound of my engine at 4000rpm!"
Brakes are a bit poo if you keep leaning on them, but hey it a big car and a bit of money spent on some proper disks and pads would sort it.

All in all.....

i think that sums it all up as to why we are all here

psbarham
24-06-2005, 05:23 PM
For my needs it great!!

All in all.....

what he said (apart from the lowering bit coz mines already been done :thumbsup: )

pezza
24-06-2005, 05:46 PM
Just to note that your V6 manual may feel different to the V6 auto version.

/yes - u aint wrong there !

scc
28-06-2005, 06:20 PM
My GLS rant:

2) handling is poor

My v6 rant:

1) brakes on the v6 are no good
2) handling is poor
3) acceleration is not neck snapping in the slightest

My VR4 rant:
in case I do want it...

More rants:

GLS+V6
7) The standard nuts corrode badly
8) Arches are too high
9) The boot loves to crash down at you when you least expect it.
10) Still need key for boot access.
11) The clear coat comes off around the doors
12) Paint 'cracking' appears in places
13) The seats need extra leg support for long haul driving
14) The car at idle feels as if its 'bouncing' which is really distressing at times. (V6 only)
15) Noticed with V6's that theres a disconcerting 'thump' to the front left suspension when going over bumps

But I still love my car....
Scc

ritch_w
28-06-2005, 06:48 PM
More rants:

GLS+V6
7) The standard nuts corrode badly - True - but they dont on a VR4
8) Arches are too high - Eibach springs sort this
9) The boot loves to crash down at you when you least expect it. - Yes on VR4 no V6 Sport
10) Still need key for boot access. - Always use the internal flap - key is a pain
11) The clear coat comes off around the doors
13) The seats need extra leg support for long haul driving - Drove 6hrs straight in the V6sport no probs, 4 hrs in the VR4 - no probs
14) The car at idle feels as if its 'bouncing' which is really distressing at times. (V6 only) - V6 - noticed this in N but not D - been threads on this. not on VR4
15) Noticed with V6's that theres a disconcerting 'thump' to the front left suspension when going over bumps - Eibach springs sort this

Scc

still great motors - buy my VR4 and compare that with the V6 :thumbsup:

nick-f1
28-06-2005, 07:22 PM
More rants

Scc

Yes Scc, so where are your raves? Dont leave it all to these guys.... you know we are all biased :thumbsup:

Big Ian
28-06-2005, 08:35 PM
More rants:

GLS+V6
7) The standard nuts corrode badly (ehh?)
8) Arches are too high (VR4 has the same prob.....lower it)
9) The boot loves to crash down at you when you least expect it. ( you either have a spoiler fitted or the spring is nackered)
10) Still need key for boot access. ( does your boot release lever not work?)
11) The clear coat comes off around the doors ( ?? ?? )
13) The seats need extra leg support for long haul driving (agree, i also can't get the back of the seat to sit right )
14) The car at idle feels as if its 'bouncing' which is really distressing at times. (V6 only) ( have you tried to adjust the air flow level )
15) Noticed with V6's that theres a disconcerting 'thump' to the front left suspension when going over bumps ( i'd check the suspension arm and bushes )

But I still love my car....( :thumbsup: glad to here it's not getting you down)
Scc

most owner's only really have maybe 1 or 2 fault's with there Galant but it sound's like you have everyone's complaints all added together in the one car!

KiwiTT
28-06-2005, 08:45 PM
GLS->V6->VR-4

When you get the VR-4 you will release that all the lessor cars are just a subset of what the real Galant/Legnum should have been.

Kieran
28-06-2005, 10:26 PM
GLS->V6->VR-4

When you get the VR-4 you will release that all the lessor cars are just a subset of what the real Galant/Legnum should have been.

/TTTH I'm getting fed up of this 'Lessor' talk.

Exactly how many GLSes & V6-24s have you owned and driven to have any concept of whether or not they're 'lessor'?.........................

I would hardly describe either model as a lesser model - Mainly because I find the term so belittling as to be offensive. Each model, be it GLS, VR-G, VR-M, V6-24, V6 Sport, Legnum ST, etc. is a unique piece of the Galant & Legnum jigsaw and each model has an aspect or two that the others can't match. but that's why each model exists!

From my point of view... There is no lesser Galant or Legnum. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, both against other models in the range, and against other marques.

scc
28-06-2005, 10:55 PM
still great motors - buy my VR4 and compare that with the V6 :thumbsup:

ooooh...don't tempt me.... /Steeringw :)

KiwiTT
29-06-2005, 12:35 AM
Kieran: I do not mean to be "offensive" to others, but a few GLS and V6 owners do or did aspire to owning a VR-4

I am probably seeing this a bit simplistically. e.g. Most Powerful Engine: VR-4 Most Complete Driveline: VR-4 Best Safety: VR-4 (AYC, 4WD, ASC, Brakes, etc.)

Other aspects, e.g Fuel Economy, may make other engines better; 2WD instead of 4WD or 4WD+AYC, will make a lighter car.

So I agree, if you are looking for better fuel economy or less weight or simpler mechanicals for cheaper servicing, you need to look at other models, if these are more important to you.

I will still see the VR-4 is the most complete car.

BTW: I also agree, that the Galant/Legnum is a great looking car in comparison to other cars.

Wodjno
01-07-2005, 11:58 PM
My GLS rant:

2) handling is poor

My v6 rant:

1) brakes on the v6 are no good
2) handling is poor
3) acceleration is not neck snapping in the slightest

My VR4 rant:
in case I do want it...

Err .. ??
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
I RECKON IT'S TIME YOU JOINED AS A FULLY PAID UP MEMBER. :thumbsup: :drummer: /Steeringw

C'Mon you know it's worth it .. :guitarist /yes /yes /yes

Big Ian
02-07-2005, 05:21 AM
C'Mon you know it's worth it .. :guitarist /yes /yes /yes
:rolleyes3

this is true :thumbsup:

:jester: ..................... /Banana /Poms :bananadan

DUNLY
02-07-2005, 11:34 AM
[QUOTE=scc]My GLS rant:

1) brakes on the GLS are no good (True, standard 1's are terrible on a good hard burn u come to a corner, and there totally faded out. sometimes i have wondered if it will stop but some black diamonds will sort this)
2) handling is poor Crap, never known any other car of that spec to handle so good, on back roads, with 14's and standard suspension, amazing)
3) acceleration feels awful after driving the V6 (couldnt comment never driven the v6)
4) Road noise is terrible (when the car is cruising, whether it be 40 or 70, its stealth, u cany hear it)
5) A bit of a rust magnet (yes some bits are a turning a wee bit orange (arches and some areas under bonnet)
6) You can't stop looking over your shoulder over it ( :thumbsup: )

oh yes i do love my GLS

bradc
02-07-2005, 11:51 AM
Kieran, I disagree with you there, I owned a GDI for about a year and a half and I've had my VR-4 for about 2 months now, the VR-4 is definately what every 8G should have been, it is a completely differant car, and it doesn't use much more fuel either, about 11 litres a day for me instead of 9 with my GDI. The extra fuel is definately worth the extra power and features.

I also beleive every 8G should have come standard with MMCS as well.

DUNLY
02-07-2005, 12:08 PM
MMCS? :embarasse

bradc
02-07-2005, 12:52 PM
The touch screen LCD display that controls aircon, radio, tv, in some models. My VR-4 has it.

Big Ian
02-07-2005, 01:31 PM
this thread could be about any car range......."why buy a 1.6ohc seirra, when you could have a cosworth!!"
it's about what you can afford and what you can afford to do to it :happy:
i may have a modded GLS, which may even be the quickest fastest GLS in the UK(who know's /Hmmm ??) but it'll never be a VR4 and when i do have a VR4 i doubt very much i'll beable to spend much cash on up-grades?......what i'm trying to say is each to their own, it's nice to compare the differences in each model......but i know for me buying and modding my GLS has been the best car ive owned and the bloody hardest car ive owned to part with...........I LOVE IT :smug:
for me it's about making it different and making it drive, power and stop the way i think it should.....

(half of this prob doesn't make sense /Hmmm ..... :inquisiti well it is a rant thread :leer: )

DUNLY
02-07-2005, 02:13 PM
LOL Hut the nail on the head there. well said!

(atleast i know what the MMCS is, and would agree)