PDA

View Full Version : spray bar anyone ??

SGHOM
23-06-2005, 06:39 PM
I need my intercooler spray to be a bit more effective than it is at the moment. So, a quick chat with the air conditioning guys on site, & I have some copper tubing, large & small, which bends very easily without a pipe bender !! :thumbsup:
enough flexibility to get good coverage I think. just playing at the moment, but you get my drift ??
by the way, this pipe is pretty cheap to buy anyway !! :smug:

psbarham
23-06-2005, 06:41 PM
what are you planning on spraying it with ? water or the co2 ?

SGHOM
23-06-2005, 06:44 PM
water or the co2 ?
Co2, NOS, nitrogen !! anything I can get ! :rolleyes4 nitrogen is looking favorite at the moment, as I can get it from work for nowt ! :thumbsup:
that is............... I'm assuming................. nitrogen will be ok ?? :embarasse :embarasse :embarasse

psbarham
23-06-2005, 06:50 PM
Co2, NOS, nitrogen !! anything I can get ! :rolleyes4 nitrogen is looking favorite at the moment, as I can get it from work for nowt ! :thumbsup:
that is............... I'm assuming................. nitrogen will be ok ?? :embarasse :embarasse :embarasse
nitrogen in gas form is not that cold , liquid nitrogen is the one thats a bit chilly :rolleyes4 , try water , i've got some sprayer nozzles at work that will be spot on for water plenty of spread and flow and a nice fine spray as well, all you need is something like a ford elec fuel pump (cheap from a breakers ) should work quite well , we do a similar thing with the machines at work with on the rad and it cools it down v quick

SGHOM
23-06-2005, 07:08 PM
why would I need a ford pump ?? [ prolly break down 1st time I use it !! ]
my liquid nitrogen will come from my bottle in the footwell & via the solenoid ! :thumbsup:
I may only need one of the jets [ maybe two ] to feed the bar. the other jets ?? I have a plan for those also !! :rolleyes4 :leer: :leer: :smug:

Wouter
23-06-2005, 07:21 PM
try water

Call me stupid if you like..... but..... if you use water.... and it gets on the piece of road/track you are trying to drive fast on.... you will lose traction!

At the POD they were forever moaning about the idiots that were spraying water on the strip!

Oh and Barry.....no need to call me stupid!!

psbarham
23-06-2005, 07:23 PM
why would I need a ford pump ?? [ prolly break down 1st time I use it !! ]
my liquid nitrogen will come from my bottle in the footwell & via the solenoid ! :thumbsup:
I may only need one of the jets [ maybe two ] to feed the bar. the other jets ?? I have a plan for those also !! :rolleyes4 :leer: :leer: :smug:
i don't think you will get on very well with liquid nitrogen , its boiling point is -195.8 degrees c so basicalliy it freezes solid anything it touchs , that includes the pipes it runs in , mind you we used to have great fun freezing apprentices sandwiches etc with it when i was at levertons. this LINK (http://www.uigi.com/nitrogen.html) might help out with a few more facts

SGHOM
23-06-2005, 07:24 PM
i don't think you will get on very well with liquid nitrogen ,
Co2 it is then....................... or NOS !! :happy:

psbarham
24-06-2005, 05:21 PM
petrol works quite well as a coolant , might make the flamers on the back look a bit lame compared to the little show going on at the front :rolleyes4 . what about a bit of replumbing of the aircon so the cooling pack is mounted in the way of the inlet charge , of course this would depend on the size of the pack and the plumbing required

BraindG
24-06-2005, 05:30 PM
Derek, im sorry.. but im really not likingthis idea of yours... i know its great in principle, but think about it... think what you are doing!!... your going to put a couple people out of a job with your smart ass idea!... i like being part of the SGHOM cool down crew!!.. do this, and we will be forced to become sideline spectactors..

/sniff.. you MEANIE!

SGHOM
24-06-2005, 05:48 PM
PMSL /yes /yes
compulsary redundancy is not on the menu !!

Wouter
24-06-2005, 06:06 PM
Derek..... ever thought of just uprating the intercooler?

SGHOM
24-06-2005, 06:12 PM
Derek..... ever thought of just uprating the intercooler?
yes !! you can use a supersoaker as well if you want !! :thumbsup:

SGHOM
24-06-2005, 10:50 PM
nice signature Wouter !! :thumbsup: where did you get the inspiration for that ?? :smug: :chugchug: :chugchug:

ako
25-06-2005, 06:11 AM
No offence, but its not the fastest VR4 on the planet.... Its not even the fastest TT VR4 (7G OR 8G) on the planet?

Anyway, why dont you just get a decently sized intercooler in there to start with, rather than stuffing about with a system which cant be used 24/7? A decent sized bar + plate will get temps down to ambient or damn close to it anyway, and probably weigh less than having bottles of CO2 inside the car! Ok, fair enough if youve already done the work to get the CO2 system in place... Have you actually measured temps @ the throttle body to see how much difference it made?

Also a couple more ideas - exhaust heat wrap over your entire induction system, a PROPER cold air intake setup, a decent intercooler, or mabe going to a water-air setup so you can get some legitimate below ambient intake temperatures going on? You seem pretty hooked on things with a finite lifespan (nitrous, co2), so why not use an icebox instead of bothering with air-air cooling, which doesnt really do much until your getting up towards half track?

BraindG
25-06-2005, 07:48 AM
No offence, but its not the fastest VR4 on the planet.... Its not even the fastest TT VR4 (7G OR 8G) on the planet?

Fastest 8g that we know of in the world @ 12.552

SGHOM
25-06-2005, 08:33 AM

Anyway, why dont you just get a decently sized intercooler in there to start with, rather than stuffing about with a system which cant be used 24/7? A decent sized bar + plate will get temps down to ambient or damn close to it anyway, and probably weigh less than having bottles of CO2 inside the car! Ok, fair enough if youve already done the work to get the CO2 system in place... Have you actually measured temps @ the throttle body to see how much difference it made?

Also a couple more ideas - exhaust heat wrap over your entire induction system, a PROPER cold air intake setup, a decent intercooler, or mabe going to a water-air setup so you can get some legitimate below ambient intake temperatures going on? You seem pretty hooked on things with a finite lifespan (nitrous, co2), so why not use an icebox instead of bothering with air-air cooling, which doesnt really do much until your getting up towards half track?
I aint got no money !! :embarasse and besides............ all my mods are done a bit tongue in cheek ! /yes like the 2 huge holes in my bonnet to let the hot air out............. coming next week to a show near you !! :thumbsup: :drummer:

ako
25-06-2005, 12:14 PM
Ahh I know the feeling... Loving the hommeade bonnet vents though. All class.

Seriously, try the exhaust wrap over all your intake - and I mean from the air filter to the throttle body. It really does make a difference you can feel with the seat-of-the-pants'o'meter, and youll see your intake temps drop markedly - sent mine from about 40 degrees @ throttle body (@18psi) to about 25ish on a summers day (in conjunction with the lancer Evo intercooler. Before that, it was closer to 60 degrees +). Thats damn close to ambient, your not going to get much better without some form of artificial cooling to go with it - which youre setting up right now :rolleyes4

Cold air: Easiest free power youll ever get, short of unplugging a wastegate line :evil2:

SGHOM
30-06-2005, 05:49 PM
My mk2 version is well under way, thanks to Joe !! /Hmmm /Hmmm
I'll put tea on then, & let him get on with it !! [ building bridges ?? ] :thumbsup:

ako
01-07-2005, 05:16 AM
What are those little red bellmouths? Ive seen them on a few brit cars and have been wondering...

i3ooyah
01-07-2005, 05:27 AM
air induction, ive seen them at redline performance

where do they lead 2? might be a stupid question but interested in how u managed to make the pipe fit

BraindG
01-07-2005, 08:15 AM
What are those little red bellmouths? Ive seen them on a few brit cars and have been wondering...
Air intake feeds, they connect to pipes that run up into induction area

SGHOM
03-07-2005, 05:49 PM
sorted.......... & i mean sorted !! :thumbsup:
3 hrs in pub car park, with everyone looking at me !! :embarasse
my DIY intercooler spray now casts a fine............... mighty fine mist of NOS all over my intake !
who needs bigger intercoolers when all you need is ice...ice.. baby !! :smug: :smug:

for those of you wanting to take my title of fastest VR4 ?? keep working !! :leer:

BraindG
03-07-2005, 11:43 PM
:thumbsup: T-Minus 2 days :)