PDA

View Full Version : Fitting A Boost Gauge

Spirit
17-08-2003, 03:25 PM
As promised, here is how I fitted my Blitz boost gauge yesterday and pics to assist.

1: Feed the vacuum pipe and electric cables INSERT INTO post VALUES (both supplied) down the gap in the far right hand corner of the dashboard and from underneath reach up and pull through. Take care not to snag them on anything and leave enough up top for connection to the gauge INSERT INTO post VALUES (approx 8 to 10 inches):

Spirit
17-08-2003, 03:30 PM
2: Up behind the brake pedal there should be a precut piece of plastic which you can pull away to gain access to a point to drill a hole through to the engine bay. A right angled drill is required here and I had to borrow a mates. Feed the vacuum pipe behind the pedals - you should be able to poke it through a couple of places that keep it up out of the way - and then through your hole into the engine bay. Ensure you fit a rubber gromet aswell.

Spirit
17-08-2003, 03:31 PM
3: Pic of vacuum pipe coming into engine bay with rubber gromet fitted:

Spirit
17-08-2003, 03:33 PM
4: You can see where I then fed the pipe in this picture and used two small cable ties INSERT INTO post VALUES (supplied) to keep things neat INSERT INTO post VALUES (will change them to black when I get some):

Spirit
17-08-2003, 03:36 PM
5: You can again follow the vacuum pipe in this pic - the arrow on the right shows where I hid it under other pipes. Then its time to make the snip and cut the existing inlet hose for the T-junctionINSERT INTO post VALUES (supplied) which you can see fitted by the arrow on the left. This was a pain as not much room to work with and the original hose was tight to fit on the junction:

Spirit
17-08-2003, 03:38 PM
6: To help gain access to the inlet pipe to cut it and fit the T-junction then remove the bolt indicated and move the electrical cluster back out of the way. Also arrowed is the actual inlet pipe I cut:

Spirit
17-08-2003, 03:41 PM
7: Back inside the car you need to wire up the illumination with the car's lights. For ease I used the power from the mirror control - this just pops out and away you go. This now means the gauge is illuminated when you turn the car's lights on:

Spirit
17-08-2003, 03:44 PM
8: Final step - used a 52mm gauge pod INSERT INTO post VALUES (not supplied) and push the vacuum pipe and electrics through the back into it then it's a simple push on to the gauge for both of them. You will need to pack out the edge of the gauge with some electrical tape or something to make a snug fit. Pull any excess pipe/cable down behind dash and thats it - job done. I made sure I left enough slack so I can move the gauge to a pillar pod later if I desire:

Spirit
17-08-2003, 03:47 PM
And here's a nice pic of the new red HKS SPF filter I fitted as well.

Simon
21-08-2003, 06:49 PM
Well explained:thumb: I now want one!

Ultra VR-4
21-08-2003, 09:48 PM
wow your engine looks tidy, did you polish it?

EdmundVR4
22-08-2003, 01:58 AM
Get the pillar pod ! It looks much better.
Ed

Spirit
22-08-2003, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by Ultra VR-4
wow your engine looks tidy, did you polish it?

Thanks mate - to be honest it was pretty immaculate when I bought the car but I did have it steam cleaned in April and since then it gets wiped over whenever the car is washed :D

Spirit
22-08-2003, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by EdmundVR4
Get the pillar pod ! It looks much better.
Ed

You're right and when I get around to fitting another gauge INSERT INTO post VALUES (probably oil pressure) I will do this. The dash pod was a temporary thing for now :D

zedy1
22-08-2003, 10:15 PM
any idea where we can get hold of one

Spirit
22-08-2003, 10:32 PM
Mo

No problems getting universal ones from the likes of Demon Tweeks but to be honest I want to see one for real and put it up against my pillar to see what it lloks like

zedy1
22-08-2003, 10:34 PM
let me know how u get on. im trying to get hold of some second hand pillars cheap so i could butcher them

pickigar
13-09-2003, 07:54 PM
Where did you get the red filter from, and does it make a difference to the power???

Gary

Spirit
13-09-2003, 09:23 PM
Gary

You can order the red filter from any HKS dealer - should cost around £21 - £22

Not sure if you "does it add to the power" question was serious or not, but of course it's part of the HKS Super Power Flow induction kit which add approx 10bhp we reckon - retails for around £180

Pete

Mante
29-10-2003, 03:00 AM
Ok, after scratching my head for almost an hour I finally realized that the differences between my vr4 and the photos were manual vs auto. Hence the lack of that empty spot to drill. Does anyone have a recommendation where to drill to run the boost controller's wiring as well as anything else I decide to run through the firewall.

I thought about running items along side the wiring for the main ECU, thus having to remove the fender then directly into the engine bay.

Any insight well welcomed.

-LegnumVR4-
29-10-2003, 06:55 AM
Drivers side foot well to front right guard. In the drivers foot well INSERT INTO post VALUES (not on the firewall) right of the go hard pedal there is a piece of plastic that covers the floor carpet, unscrew this and u will see a whole lot of plugs that were covered up by the plastic cover. U can pull the white/black case that holds all of the plugs away from the side wall INSERT INTO post VALUES (push down on the clip at the top of the white/black case to release it). Next to the white case there are some holes u can run wires/hose through. U can remove the inner guard of the wheel arc and poke a hole through the rubber grommet to feed through that INSERT INTO post VALUES (U can't miss it when u release the inner guard). U can then feed wires/hoses up through the other grommet where some of the factory wiring is going INSERT INTO post VALUES (look in the engine bay on the left side of the brake booster, some wires are coming out of that going to the master cylinder etc).

Hope it helps.

Rhys